• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should fighting sports be legal? Are they moral?

PearlSeeker

I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.

1. Fighting sports is not the same as martial arts although sport fighters usually use some form of martial arts...

2. Yes, doing harm to each other's body (unless it's necessary for defence) can be viewed as unethical. Some people just have passion for extreme sports. Better to let them fight each other in a ring than attacking people passing by in the streets.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.
Rereading the OP just now got me wondering...

You claim you are against violence. Are you a vegetarian?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
First off, don’t mock me.

Second off, ethics is ethics.

Right is right and wrong is wrong

That’s the way it is.

When people say no to the laws of morality and make up their own laws, then that’s most certainly immoral and wrong.
.well you're still wrong. Care to actually prove your position ?

Seems like you can't do so.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just got back from a tournament where I did some sparring...

I think it's absolutely ethical, and for me has resulted in character development, better fitness, camaraderie, and humility, since there's always someone better than you and the more you learn and practice and compete, the more you realize you don't know or need to improve.
Very dangerous that sparring is. In a tournament I broke an opponents big toe. With my shoulder. It took my shoulder out of the socket, not all his doing used to have overly flexible shoulders. I ended up winning but the next day we were both sore from that bout. We both had fun.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Very dangerous that sparring is. In a tournament I broke an opponents big toe. With my shoulder. It took my shoulder out of the socket, not all his doing used to have overly flexible shoulders. I ended up winning but the next day we were both sore from that bout. We both had fun.

Yeah, never broken anything, but definitely have been injured. I have a nice purple bruise on my thigh this morning.

I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.
I don't like fighting, but I would not prohibit it, if the participants are doing it voluntarily.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Humans are the most violent, cruel species on the planet, far surpassing any other species. If anything, non-humans behave much better than us and we are the unreasoning brutes. We'll torture and kill simply for sadistic pleasure. No other animal is known to do that, really (no, not even cats as people erroneously believe). We love violence, males especially so. We're going to be violent and beat the crap out of each other, anyway, so might as well get it out in a more controlled fashion. One can also learn discipline from combat sports, too. It's not all bad.

But by all means, you have the right to your point of view and I certainly understand a Christian feeling that way.

I also agree that consent doesn't make something moral or ethical.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Humans are the most violent, cruel species on the planet, far surpassing any other species. If anything, non-humans behave much better than us and we are the unreasoning brutes. We'll torture and kill simply for sadistic pleasure. No other animal is known to do that, really (no, not even cats as people erroneously believe). We love violence, males especially so. We're going to be violent and beat the crap out of each other, anyway, so might as well get it out in a more controlled fashion. One can also learn discipline from combat sports, too. It's not all bad.

But by all means, you have the right to your point of view and I certainly understand a Christian feeling that way.

I also agree that consent doesn't make something moral or ethical.
Killer Whales as well as our ape cousins have fair sport with their prey or victim.

joelr

Then tell me you are against rugby and football because the amount of brain damage and PSD is as high. When one is tackled by a speeding 280lb man you may be wearing gear but your brain doesn't stop, it smashes against the skull, same as if you were kicked in the head.
Then auto racing, instant death to his a wall at 200 mph.
How many rock climbers and parachute/flying sports deaths do we see every year? 10 just in skydiving in the U.S. in one year.
30 annual deaths from climbing every year.

Next, we have a need for actual testing of fighting techniques. People are always going to be attacked and preyed upon, knowing what techniques actually work in important.

joelr

I want to clear some things up:

1. Ethics is an OBJECTIVE thing. The Bible spells out ethics, it IS where ethics came from.

God is the Father of morality. It is an objective thing.
No he is not. We make them up. We do not take women and children as plunder of war. We do not own permanent non-Hebrew slaves, AND THEIR CHILDREN.
We do not allow slave masters to give a wife and child to a Hebrew slave and when the term is up we say "you may leave but your child and wife is mine unless you stay forever".

We allow women to speak in church. We do not outlaw graven images. We allow freedom of religion.
We do not stone unruly children. We do not refrain from speaking to family members who hold different religious beliefs.

We do not kill every living thing in 6 cities because their religion might rub off on you. We would not drown a planet of animals, babies, pregnant women, or kill 70,000 with plagues, some babies who didn't deserve it.

No one would send someone to eternal torture or a lake of fire because they didn't find good evidence for a religion.

How about a god who threatens eternal torture for non-belief of a religion that looks exactly like a myth when studied?
It's all immoral by out standards.

Luckily, we decide what morals are, not some fictional evil deity written about in a book.

2. The Bible condemns ALL violence with the exclusion of self defense with life I believe. I don’t know. But I do know Jesus Christ said,

“If someone slaps you, turn the other cheek,”
He also said don't take an oath and many other things we don't follow. What you mention is one we don't follow as well. Did we turn the other cheek on ISIS or the Taliban? Do you advocate that we should have? Or do you follow our modern morals, made up by people?

Should we have turned the other cheek at Pearl Harbor? At a future attack if that happens?

3. Consent or simply wanting to do something does not make it ethically correct.

If I thought it was right or justifiable to kill someone, is that ethical?
It is considered ethical to use the death penalty by many people. Do you advocate for Osama Bib Laden to have been kept alive?

In the same way, even when fighters get into the ring to hurt the other and themselves, it is still not ethically justified.
Since we make up ethics, we find sporting events to be fair, with a commission reviewing the fight, weight classes, rules, a ref, a system of placing equally skilled fighters together.

People do hard sparring every day in thousands of gyms across the world, getting the same superficial injuries sometimes. So you would not stop it by banning competition. But if the fighters agree along with the laws and fans, it's justified.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They're doing it to survive, though, because they eat them. It's not for sheer fun. Like with cats batting their prey around, it's to exhaust their prey, not to play a game.
Its documented that apes provocate for fun including bodyslams to see the reaction.