• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should americans be required to serve in the military?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As the parent of some youngsters, with a little hand grenade sized bun in the oven, I understand you totally.
Tom

I'm not keen on some upper class politician sending some middle or lower class kid against their will to die for a cause they may not believe in, even though these politicians would protect their own from ever being enlisted and deployed. A conscript essentially becomes a prisoner and property of the government. I'm a human rights plus liberty and justice for all kinda guy, so I oppose the notion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't really know. I do wonder what this means for transsexual women. What happens to their Selective Service info after they change their legal documents?

Of course, I think transsexual men - the ones who are done with their transition, at least - should be required to sign up for the draft in waiting like any other male. (Of course, they should be required to be on male levels of testosterone and to have had chest and genital surgery. )
MTF can apply for an exemption.
Granting it would depend upon their stage in the transition.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only fair draft would be if everyone, male, female, other, abled, disabled, politicians, politicians' children, etc served.
Even then, dangerous service should be voluntary...pay'm enuf to attract'm.
But so much labor would result in massive costs & waste.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Why should it be granted?", asks the fair minded conservative?
Tom
Speaking for the government (not meself), a MTF at some point becomes female, & thereby avoiding compulsory military service.
Only straight healthy males with low draft numbers & no political connections are required to actually serve.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The only fair draft would be if everyone, male, female, other, abled, disabled, politicians, politicians' children, etc served.
Even then, dangerous service should be voluntary...pay'm enuf to attract'm.
But so much labor would result in massive costs & waste.
I would argue that the draft would only be fair if Politician's children, if they were physically able, had to serve on the front-line. No rear-duty bull**** if your dad is a Senator. That'll make them at least seriously consider whether they want to do this 'war' thing or not.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I say send the politicians who vote for the war to serve on the front lines.
(Reptiles generally don't pay attention to the safety of their spawn long after hatching.)

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I'd rather see mandatory Master's degrees. It would be cheaper per head, still teach the value of discipline and adulthood, and contribute something to the world that is more lasting than yet another magically disappearing defense contract or yet another murdered child.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Speaking for the government (not meself), a MTF at some point becomes female, & thereby avoiding compulsory military service.
Only straight healthy males with low draft numbers & no political connections are required to actually serve.

So, the fair minded conservative asks, "Why are women and freaks exempt from the law?"
I mean freak in the nicest way, of course. Extremely unusual people who are not totally disabled and deserve to be part of society.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, the fair minded conservative asks, "Why are women and freaks exempt from the law?"
I mean freak in the nicest way, of course. Extremely unusual people who are not totally disabled and deserve to be part of society.
Tom
You'd have to ask someone who votes for the Dems & Pubs who make this policy.

Marisa

I believe the military helps mature people and gets them off to a good start. Would it be good if they had to serve for at least 4 years and then do what they want. I feel more people would be more mature and responsible by serving.
As the wife of a 24 year army vet, the military is no better or worse at maturing folks than any other walk of life. The human brain doesn't fully develop until your mid onto late 20's regardless of whether you serve in the military or not.

I am opposed to mandatory military service but I have no problem with mandatory service in general. There are many ways to serve and speaking as one myself, not everyone is cut out for military service.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If we had mandatory service draft for all, I'd serve as a draft resistor.
I don't belong to the government.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I had a brief stint in the army. While I viewed this time of my life as a learning experience, I also knew that we were trained for very real reasons, and that the job may end in death.

While I would never discourage anyone from military service, there are equally fine civil service jobs as well where you can serve your country and do your part just as honorably.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe the military helps mature people and gets them off to a good start. Would it be good if they had to serve for at least 4 years and then do what they want. I feel more people would be more mature and responsible by serving.

For many of us during the Viet Nam era the military did not mature us, it just made us older. 2 years would be plenty.

I'm 50+, too, but I said that when I was 17, which was only a year or two after the end of the draft. Still think it's true. If we just looked at the 18-24 year old population, though...the military doesn't need 26-million-plus, and it would seem difficult for find non-military things to do for that many people. At the same time, unleashing that many people on many of our nation's problems would probably work wonders...
The problem, as always, is paying for it....

The draft is not ended, it's just not being used. 18 year old males still have to register.