• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Set Perspectives

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Set- Benevolent, evil, devil, good, loyal, just, bi-sexual, infertile. I have heard all of these said about our beloved Set. Which do you hold to be true? What's YOUR perspective on Set?

I'll start- That Set is an evil god, but not evil in the way Abrahamics often use the word. Set's evil serves a necessary purpose, balancing the universe, punishing wrong doers, testing people, breaking down the old to make way for the new, etc. I have also seen a side of Set that seems to be somewhat caring, kind of "the devil may care". I also think Set probably is bi-sexual, because the deity Ash, also depicted with the head of the Set animal, was sometimes said to be Set's male consort in addition to Nebt-het.

acidrica

Wannabe Mortician
Set is one of my Beloveds, and I love him dearly. Yes, he is harsh, but I'm the type of person that needs someone to push her off a cliff, to show her that she can survive hardship. I had an experience of him pulling me out of a panic attack once after praying to him, and I'll never forget that moment. Since then, I haven't been nearly as afraid, though he has refused to do it again. Apparently he gave me the 'tools' to fix my anxiety for myself, but he won't let me sit back while he fixes everything for me. I get the feeling that I'd grow to regret it if I made it a habit to ask things of him. Still, I offer to him daily.

Yes, Set has done 'evil' things, but so have many of the Egyptian deities. Heru cut off Aset's head in one myth. Sure, he's harsh, but not everyone can be cuddly. Don't forget, he's the only one can guard Ra as he does.

I agree that Set may be bi-sexual, but not in a human way. More that he'll have who he wants, no matter their gender. I see sexuality as a very human concept.

Rainbow Mage

Yeah Acidrica that's what other Set children have said, that Set is beyond all sexual boundries.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I have much to learn from Him when the time is right. No matter what you think of Him, He is beautiful. :) I will update here after Him and I do some work together. :)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As a Setian, to me Set is the most ancient semblance of what I call the Prince of the Powers of Darkness. The word "Prince" is derived from the Latin "Princeps" which means "First" or "Leader". To me Set is the First Great Black Magician within this Universe. He/It is the First of Our Kind - the First to explore the great Mystery of Self-Awareness, and over aeons of self-directed self-evolution was the first to Become his/its own absolute and complete Self.

Set, the Prince of Darkness as He/It is known to us on our own world, to me, is the primordial source of all other intelligent, self-aware life-forms within this Universe. As I see it, Set happened upon this Earth, and after studying it, decided to infuse His/Its own essence of being within the species he/it in his Wisdom felt would be the most reseptive of it. Which I think, not only included that which would become humankind, but perhaps other Earthly species which have yet to develope the inner Essence of the Black Flame to the extent that we humans have.

I know this all seems like a bit of a stretch, but there is just something deep within my own understanding which holds all this to be a Truth.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Sorry, I got to ask, why bring up a gods sexuality?

Because Set is often depicted as a very sexual force. He is said to have several consorts, both female and male, and in myths he is sometimes depicted as very sexual, such as when the Contendings say Set developed a :cough cough: lying in bed with Heru-sa-Aset (Horus), and tried to dominate him.

Antibush5

Because Set is often depicted as a very sexual force. He is said to have several consorts, both female and male, and in myths he is sometimes depicted as very sexual, such as when the Contendings say Set developed a :cough cough: lying in bed with Heru-sa-Aset (Horus), and tried to dominate him.

I bet there was some kind of ritual where the followers did something like that :pWell if they have, priests doing autofallatio, you just don't know anymore!

Rainbow Mage

Actually no antibush the Priests did not and do not perform sexual rituals, either in ancient Kemet or now. Kemetics were very big on ritual purity, and part of that is abstaining from all sexual acts on temple grounds. The gods can be sexual. Antibush stop thinking with your modern stigma about sexuality. The gods can be sexual.

Joshua Noctis

A Curious Wanderer
My only understanding of Set is that he is the god of storms, the desert, darkness and chaotic forces. I don't believe Set is evil. To me, he seems to be more of a person who is stern and very firm. Like a combination between a battle-worn marine and a entropic priest. As far I can tell, this god does not like to sugar coat things.

That's my perspective.