• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious question. Am I a Mormon?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Before I was born my mother was a Mormon, and I assume she was a registered member of the church---her parents were Mormon (although they may have belonged to some kind of offshoot of the main church). When I was baptized in the Lutheran Church, just before I was confirmed (about 12 yo), I recall her telling me I was also baptized a Mormon.

Question 1.Do Mormons practice infant/young child baptism?

Question 2. Would I be a registered Mormon
a) if I was baptized one?
b) if I wasn't baptized one?
Question 3. If the LDS church doesn't practices infant baptism do any of its offshoots?

Question 4. Would I be a registered Mormon if my mother belonged to an offshoot?

Deidre

You might have been baptized a Mormon, but I tend to think that it's what we believe, that probably gives more meaning to whatever label we attach to ourselves. You should investigate more, might be worthwhile. :)

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
The main church (99% of all Mormons) baptizes at 8 years old and not before. Children of Mormons are considered to be unbaptized children of record, until they are actually baptized. I've never heard of an offshoot that practices infant baptism, but then information on offshoots is extremely limited. That less than 1% comprises at least a dozen offshoots, none of which have much of a web presence. Is there a church out there that considers you to be Mormon? Probably not, but I can't completely rule it out.

Watchmen

Premium Member
1. Baptism traditionally occurs at 8 years old (not before).

2. If you were baptized, then you would be in the records of the Mormon church. If you were not baptized, but received a baby blessing when you were an infant, you would be in the records of the Mormon church. If neither of those two things happened, there's a good chance you are NOT in the records of the Mormon church.

3. None that I'm aware of.

4. Perhaps registered with that offshoot, but not with the primary Mormon church

Jane.Doe

Before I was born my mother was a Mormon, and I assume she was a registered member of the church---her parents were Mormon (although they may have belonged to some kind of offshoot of the main church). When I was baptized in the Lutheran Church, just before I was confirmed (about 12 yo), I recall her telling me I was also baptized a Mormon.

Question 1.Do Mormons practice infant/young child baptism?

Question 2. Would I be a registered Mormon
a) if I was baptized one?
b) if I wasn't baptized one?
Question 3. If the LDS church doesn't practices infant baptism do any of its offshoots?

Question 4. Would I be a registered Mormon if my mother belonged to an offshoot?

1) No, Mormon's practice a believer's baptism, youngest age this is possible is 8.
However, Mormons do "bless" a newborn baby, which is an official prayer and naming on behalf of the baby (not baptism).

2) If you were baptized in the main Mormon church, then you are on the church records as a member. If you were blessed as a baby, they would also have record of that event, but you won't be a church member. Either way, you can contact your local church any simply ask (it does not matter that the events did not happen where you live now, all mainstream Mormon churches are linked, like a public school system). If you'd rather do things online, ask at mormon.org/chat and they should be able to help. If you want, you will be able to look things up on your mother as well.
If you or your mother were involved with an off-shoot church and not the main Mormon church, then the main Mormon church would not have records of it (the off-shoots are completely different churches and their baptisms are not recognized by the main church). I'd suggest you contact them.

3) In the Book of Mormon, infant baptism is bluntly declared unnecessary and contrary to the way of God. So, the main Mormon church (consisting of 99.98% of Mormons) does not baptize infants (though they do bless), and of the 0.02% remaining, the 3 largest subgroups I'm aware of likewise do NOT practice infant baptism.

4) See #2.

If you wanted to know more about this, I would suggest talking to your mom about it. If she has passed on, we can still help you out.