• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Science is the record of dead religions" - Oscar Wilde

Timothy Bryce

Full Quote (apologies if this idea has already been discussed):

"Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions."

This is from Wilde's very short list, "Phrases And Philosophies For The Use Of The Young".

Unfortunately, the only times that I've seemed to have a moment where I feel as though I can truly comprehend this statement is when I've been extremely off my head.

I've had two friends, on two separate occasions, discuss this quote with me, with us all eventually arriving at some great, insightful conclusion only to have it dissipate when I sober up.

I'm interested to hear others interpretations.

Timothy Bryce

Thus you don't need faith when you have proof.

Science proves things, thus you don't need religion. Separate statements.

Valid interpretation; I'd argue that the "separate statements" are certainly related though. I can't help but feel as though there was something implicit though. Hopefully it'll come to me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Full Quote (apologies if this idea has already been discussed):

"Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions."

This is from Wilde's very short list, "Phrases And Philosophies For The Use Of The Young".

Unfortunately, the only times that I've seemed to have a moment where I feel as though I can truly comprehend this statement is when I've been extremely off my head.

I've had two friends, on two separate occasions, discuss this quote with me, with us all eventually arriving at some great, insightful conclusion only to have it dissipate when I sober up.

Does science have evidence of its existence?
Regards

Timothy Bryce

Does science have evidence of its existence?
Regards

The scientific method is a human construction used as an instrument to establish firm truth(s). It exists as long as humans exercise it.

Very trippy question to ask (I've never heard it before lol), but I would give a resounding "yes". Science is a disciplined examination of evidence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
An interpretation? I find the statement to be not only incorrect, but rather missing the point and essence of religions as well as the sciences. I also find the statement to be variously amusing, trite, and irritating. But this happens with many discussions about the sciences and religions, so par for the course one might suppose...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I'm thinking he is saying that there must be some beyond the tangible element to be religion.

Timothy Bryce

An interpretation? I find the statement to be not only incorrect, but rather missing the point and essence of religions as well as the sciences. I also find the statement to be variously amusing, trite, and irritating. But this happens with many discussions about the sciences and religions, so par for the course one might suppose...

Interesting. Especially considering the very black and white interpretation Robert Evans offered.

vaguelyhumanoid

Note that he said "religions die when they are proven to be true". Now that's very different from the standard "New Atheist" narrative.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Especially considering the very black and white interpretation Robert Evans offered.

That's one of the major problems with it, actually. Something as complex and heterogenous as the sciences and religions cannot be characterized nor captured in such a simplistic and polarizing statement.

vaguelyhumanoid

That's one of the major problems with it, actually. Something as complex and heterogenous as the sciences and religions cannot be characterized nor captured in such a simplistic and polarizing statement.

I think the original quote likely was intended in a more complex manner but the OP came at it in a very quote mining mentality, including cutting half of it in the title.

Timothy Bryce

I think the original quote likely was intended in a more complex manner but the OP came at it in a very quote mining mentality, including cutting half of it in the title.

It wasn't as intentional as it looks. Did a bit of a cut and paste job. But I agree; the splitting of the two statements serves to expand the complexity in which Wilde intended it to be interpreted, including the acknowledgement of various, potentially conflicting readings.

1AOA1

"[Practices] die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead [practices]."

?

vaguelyhumanoid

It wasn't as intentional as it looks. Did a bit of a cut and paste job. But I agree; the splitting of the two statements serves to expand the complexity in which Wilde intended it to be interpreted, including the acknowledgement of various, potentially conflicting readings.

You don't agree; you're saying the opposite of what I was saying.

vaguelyhumanoid

I feel the quote is referring to the "disenchantment of the world". The fact that he said religions die when proven true implies to me a more abstract point about certainty vs faith. If something is confirmed as true, it becomes a scientific fact as opposed to a religious mystery.

Timothy Bryce

I feel the quote is referring to the "disenchantment of the world". The fact that he said religions die when proven true implies to me a more abstract point about certainty vs faith. If something is confirmed as true, it becomes a scientific fact as opposed to a religious mystery.

For some reason I got these profound, vivid visuals in my head while reading your post; like watching waves pour out onto the wet sand and the moment it begins to roll back again, or a forest in fast forwards, bleeding through the seasons.

FWIW: The other "Phrases And Philosophies For The Use Of The Young" are worth a look regardless of your personal beliefs.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
"Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakeable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time."

Saint Dawkins
:p