• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rethinking Planetary Evolution

Heyo

Veteran Member

Does science truly know - there are discoveries made and to be made that differs accepted analysis.
That's a thing that isn't communicated very well by science communicators. Scientists have very differing confidence in hypothesis and theories. No astrophysicist is surprised when there are new observations about planetary formation. Most of what we know is build on inference from one system we know about.
Another thing is sensationalism. The media often headlines with "theory X proven wrong", "scientists have to go back to the drawing board". "Reshape our understanding" is comparatively lame. The reality is often that the new observation touches upon a parameter in a hypothesis scientists weren't even very sure about and the observation can be easily incorporated in the model.

wellwisher

That's a thing that isn't communicated very well by science communicators. Scientists have very differing confidence in hypothesis and theories. No astrophysicist is surprised when there are new observations about planetary formation. Most of what we know is build on inference from one system we know about.
Another thing is sensationalism. The media often headlines with "theory X proven wrong", "scientists have to go back to the drawing board". "Reshape our understanding" is comparatively lame. The reality is often that the new observation touches upon a parameter in a hypothesis scientists weren't even very sure about and the observation can be easily incorporated in the model.
This tells me that the science laymen need to be more open minded to new ideas, since very few things are dogma in science. The problem is not science, but layman who memorize temporal science, like a religion, and act like they are the chosen guardians of the dogma. You can take science out of religion, but not religion out the guardians of science.

My interpretation is the water and silica are part of high temperature and pressure water-silica phases. Water at pressure and temperature above the critical point of water becomes very aggressive, and can dissolve silica and other minerals to form new phases.

What we are seeing in the atmosphere of that planet is similar to what is inside the earth, as well as within other planets such as Uranus and Neptune. In the case of this planet, these phases are part of the atmosphere due to the closest of its star and its own size; heat and gravity generate supercritical and supersonic water in the presence of silicates.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...pounds-and-their-impact-on-the_fig2_358017361

Heyo

Veteran Member
What we are seeing in the atmosphere of that planet is similar to what is inside the earth, as well as within other planets such as Uranus and Neptune. In the case of this planet, these phases are part of the atmosphere due to the closest of its star and its own size; heat and gravity generate supercritical and supersonic water in the presence of silicates.
That should be "superionic".

I'm usually not a spelling nazi but this typo totally changed the sentence and made no sense.

wellwisher

That should be "superionic".

I'm usually not a spelling nazi but this typo totally changed the sentence and made no sense.
Spell check does not know the single word (super ionic) or supersonic as one word. It just spelled checked and changed the combined word again; in bold, to supersonic, but allowed the separated word, which is not technically the right term. If I type slow superionic and x out the spell check suggestion, I can bypass that, but when I am on a roll, I often miss these options.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Does science truly know - there are discoveries made and to be made that differs accepted analysis.

What accepted analysis? Astronomers and astro physicist work under the assumption that we live in a big universe with myriad planets with the chances of any two of those planets being identical slim to impossible.

However, if two identical planets are found then they will no doubt have to review the hypothesis.