• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican Presidential Candidate says Climate Change is real

Mercy Not Sacrifice

So get busy. You can start by turning off your computer to save energy. Otherwise what is your workable plan? What can you do to stop global warming? I'm listening.

But if I gave you real answer, would you carefully and thoughtfully analyze it? Or would you stand trigger-ready to say, "yeah, that's not gonna happen/no, that's too expensive/etc."? Because so many times, pseudoskeptics use PRATT (points refuted a thousand times) list items to do the latter. I first want to make sure that you'll steer clear of that.

Ok, you despise the mindset of survival. Adaptation means survival.
And what are you doing that is so helpful? Hopefully more than complaining about everyone else with the wrong attitude.

Stop lying. And stop trivializing the potentially catastrophic, long-term impacts that climate change may have. "Adapt"...ha! You have no idea what you're talking about when you carelessly throw around the word "adapt."

Tell me when it is going to rain in California. They can't seem to figure that one out.

Man, I wish I knew. They sure need a break, don't they?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
But if I gave you real answer, would you carefully and thoughtfully analyze it? Or would you stand trigger-ready to say, "yeah, that's not gonna happen/no, that's too expensive/etc."? Because so many times, pseudoskeptics use PRATT (points refuted a thousand times) list items to do the latter. I first want to make sure that you'll steer clear of that.

Just something practical, something that can be accomplished. You know human nature and you know what control government and people have have ovr each other. Something people would actually be willing to do.

Stop lying. And stop trivializing the potentially catastrophic, long-term impacts that climate change may have. "Adapt"...ha! You have no idea what you're talking about when you carelessly throw around the word "adapt."

Dude, call me a liar again and I'm just going to ignore you and you've accomplished nothing. I willing to give you a chance to support your position but if you keep this up you're going to blow it.

Man, I wish I knew. They sure need a break, don't they?

As far as I know they can't predict it which was my point. We don't understand it well enough so how can we fix the weather?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Just something practical, something that can be accomplished. You know human nature and you know what control government and people have have ovr each other. Something people would actually be willing to do.

Alright. Start here.

Dude, call me a liar again and I'm just going to ignore you and you've accomplished nothing. I willing to give you a chance to support your position but if you keep this up you're going to blow it.

Easy, there. You said:

Ok, you despise the mindset of survival. Adaptation means survival.

Which could hardly have been a bigger strawman of my worldview. C'mon, man, I said nothing of the sort.

As far as I know they can't predict it which was my point. We don't understand it well enough so how can we fix the weather?

Now wait a minute. You're not suggesting that climate = weather, are you? Cause that's just not the case. Hell, we're lucky if we can forecast the weather a week out, or even a couple days out if winter weather is in the forecast.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Alright. Start here.

Well we are kind of in agreement. Basically science needs to advance or be supported to solve this. However I can't do anything about it. The problem seems to be with the government. The government is run by people and people are generally greedy. They are concerned with the bottom line. Before they couldn't make weapons? What has been stopping them for the last 25 years?

Which could hardly have been a bigger strawman of my worldview. C'mon, man, I said nothing of the sort.

If we can't get government and science on the move then what choice do we have except to adapt. Nothing has happened for decades, why should I believe anything is going to change now.

Now wait a minute. You're not suggesting that climate = weather, are you? Cause that's just not the case. Hell, we're lucky if we can forecast the weather a week out, or even a couple days out if winter weather is in the forecast.

In this case weather. They've been predicting rain for the last several weeks. We get the clouds but no rain.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Because green energy is where we are heading, I don't see why America, as a nation, doesn't rush head first into it. The politicians who speak the loudest of national pride and patriotism it seems are content in just letting this opportunity slide by. America and Russia competed over out space, but America is just letting this one slide right by.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Well we are kind of in agreement. Basically science needs to advance or be supported to solve this. However I can't do anything about it. The problem seems to be with the government. The government is run by people and people are generally greedy. They are concerned with the bottom line. Before they couldn't make weapons? What has been stopping them for the last 25 years?

A population that is more obsessed with Muzlum terr'ists, librul soshalism, big guv'mint, and skeery black people than they are with oppression, hunger, and global warming.

If we can't get government and science on the move then what choice do we have except to adapt. Nothing has happened for decades, why should I believe anything is going to change now.

See, that's where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. Just because not enough action has been taken is a poor excuse to not to try for any. That's like saying that if not enough people believe that a pack of armed invaders is about to strike, then the city's defenses should just stand down and let the invaders in, accompanied by the inevitable horrors and devastation that they would bring. Well guess what. Global warming is that pack of armed invaders, and we have got to do something about it well before they arrive at the city gates.

In this case weather. They've been predicting rain for the last several weeks. We get the clouds but no rain.

Precipitation forecasts are often mistaken, FWIW. For example, on about 20% of the days when there is a 20% chance of rain, it will rain.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
See, that's where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. Just because not enough action has been taken is a poor excuse to not to try for any. That's like saying that if not enough people believe that a pack of armed invaders is about to strike, then the city's defenses should just stand down and let the invaders in, accompanied by the inevitable horrors and devastation that they would bring. Well guess what. Global warming is that pack of armed invaders, and we have got to do something about it well before they arrive at the city gates.

Human nature is such that people won't be motivated until the catastrophe is here. Something like 9/11.

What I mean by plan that works is something people will get behind and support. There are other good ideas out there which I'm happy to support. I just don't see a critical mass of people getting behind something that they don't see an immediate benefit for themselves from.

Fossil fuel is too immediate, cheap and easy to come by.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Human nature is such that people won't be motivated until the catastrophe is here. Something like 9/11.

What I mean by plan that works is something people will get behind and support. There are other good ideas out there which I'm happy to support. I just don't see a critical mass of people getting behind something that they don't see an immediate benefit for themselves from.

Fossil fuel is too immediate, cheap and easy to come by.
Which is one of the reasons why Steven Hawking believes that human life will be in serious jeopardy in the future, and that we eventually need to make plans to move to another planet.