• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regretting sex change

King Phenomenon

Does anyone here know the statistics on regretting receiving a sex change? I’m reading 1% which is 100 out of 10,000 people. That seams like a lot of people are still unsure before they had it done.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't know the percentage, although it is small, but the reasons are varied. The main reason, supposedly, is sometimes, at least from F-M transitions, the person was lesbian instead of trans. In the case of, say, Chaz Bono, as Chastity, she thought she was lesbian, but realized years later that she was trans. No regret there. Sometimes with as much hatred of male homosexuality, the thought of being a hetero trans woman is more "palatable" than being a gay cis male.

IMO, there has become a very narrow window for how we express gender. It was always pretty narrow for guys, unfortunately, but now it's narrowed for girls. Not every girl wants frilly, pink, unicorn and mermaid clothes, so what is a girl to do when it's expected for a girl to be super girly but they are not? I wasn't super girly when I was a kid. Of course, clothes came in many colors then, pink being a small number. Why name a not so girly girl a "tom boy?" Where did they even get that term? If I were a kid now, perhaps I would question myself because I didn't like to wear those types of clothes. People should just be allowed to be who they are, whether they are girly or not so girly girls, or macho or not so macho guys. It's already hard enough to be a kid without going overboard with colors, styles, mannerisms, etc.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Like I said in another thread. Unfortunately regret is going to pop up in medical procedures.
I don’t know the exact circumstances of such regrets in detransitioning
But as Sand Dancer alluded to that regrets come from lack of overall support, I can see that as a big factor.
Speaking as cis I don’t want to presume anything. But still that makes a lot of sense
Given how much reliance there is for emotional support for transitioning to begin with.
So this might be a case of society interfering negatively with medical treatments
Wouldn’t be the first time
Anyone remember gay conversion therapy?

King Phenomenon

Like I said in another thread. Unfortunately regret is going to pop up in medical procedures.
I don’t know the exact circumstances of such regrets in detransitioning
But as Sand Dancer alluded to that regrets come from lack of overall support, I can see that as a big factor.
Speaking as cis I don’t want to presume anything. But still that makes a lot of sense
Given how much reliance there is for emotional support for transitioning to begin with.
So this might be a case of society interfering negatively with medical treatments
Wouldn’t be the first time
Anyone remember gay conversion therapy?
So basically no one knows the statistics of a true regret not influenced by lack of support. That sucks

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
So basically no one knows the statistics of a true regret not influenced by lack of support. That sucks
I don’t know if I’d go that far.
Sure it might be a bit difficult to truly measure such regret outside of social pressures. But you can say the same of medical treatments used by war veterans of various generations. Can we possibly seperate the societal restraints placed upon them and their true regret? Probably not, in all honesty. But it exists all the same. So we should try our best to seperate and analyse such things

Look. Science is cold, methodical and ultimately realistic. It will look for the best possible results whilst also acknowledging that there will potentially be a sort of “collateral damage” to take into consideration.

For example. Some people can potentially die from taking an aspirin due to specific allergies.
Does that mean we don’t have aspirin on the market?
No.
I’m not saying we ignore such concerns. But as it stands, the unfortunate truth is, whether intentional or not, these regret stats are used as a shield by folks who want to cast aspersions upon gender affirming care. In order to discredit them
(Not accusing you of that. Obviously. Just to be clear. I don’t think you’re trying to do such a thing.)

So whilst it is a genuinely legitimate concern, I do think more research and nuance is required before we go implementing it. If that makes sense?
Basically meaning, more research required lol

Last edited:
Does anyone here know the statistics on regretting receiving a sex change? I’m reading 1% which is 100 out of 10,000 people. That seams like a lot of people are still unsure before they had it done.

AFAIK we don't really know. the data is too incomplete to have much confidence. Some people claim it is very rare, others that it is underreported and growing.

It's something we will have to wait and see as to its true extent (or lack thereof) and the reasons why.

Detransition is a growing phenomenon that implies clinical, psychological, and social issues. Inadequate evaluation and use of medicalization as the only means to improve gender dysphoria may lead to later detransition in some teenagers. Comprehensive care by a multidisciplinary and experienced team is essential. As there are no studies reporting the factors predictive of detransition, caution is recommended in cases of atypical identity courses...

In this regard, there is concern that more and more people believe hormone therapy to be the solution to their problems, not only those referring to self-identity, but also those referring to personal frustrations inherent to this phase of life. Some of these individuals visit the endocrinology outpatient clinic without prior psychological assessment or counselling, demanding urgent and hurried medical and surgical treatment....

The true prevalence of the phenomenon is not known but is possibly underestimated. A number of factors have been associated with detransition, though none have been validated to date.

Transsexuality: Transitions, detransitions, and regrets in Spain - ScienceDirect

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's normal...when in the United States there is a laissez-faire that make anyone undergo that delicate medical procedure.
In my country there is a trial. Yes, a trial: with your lawyer, the prosecutor that represents the State and the judge, and the judge ascertains whether the person has the profound convinction of changing sex definitively, after analyzing the medical evidence and the psychological expertise.

The failure of liberalism and permissivism, ladies and gentlemen.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't know the percentage, although it is small, but the reasons are varied. The main reason, supposedly, is sometimes, at least from F-M transitions, the person was lesbian instead of trans. In the case of, say, Chaz Bono, as Chastity, she thought she was lesbian, but realized years later that she was trans. No regret there. Sometimes with as much hatred of male homosexuality, the thought of being a hetero trans woman is more "palatable" than being a gay cis male.

IMO, there has become a very narrow window for how we express gender. It was always pretty narrow for guys, unfortunately, but now it's narrowed for girls. Not every girl wants frilly, pink, unicorn and mermaid clothes, so what is a girl to do when it's expected for a girl to be super girly but they are not? I wasn't super girly when I was a kid. Of course, clothes came in many colors then, pink being a small number. Why name a not so girly girl a "tom boy?" Where did they even get that term? If I were a kid now, perhaps I would question myself because I didn't like to wear those types of clothes. People should just be allowed to be who they are, whether they are girly or not so girly girls, or macho or not so macho guys. It's already hard enough to be a kid without going overboard with colors, styles, mannerisms, etc.
There's no stigma about being a tomboy - at least not in Britain. The sexiest girl I ever went out with was a tomboy. She was a chemical engineer who worked at the refinery. The first time I went to her house she emerged from beneath her car, streaked with oil, from changing the clutch bearing: she had loosened the front engine mountings and removed the rear one, supporting the engine on a jack. But, in addition to the oily stains on the old jeans she was wearing, there was a little tear, just under the left buttock, through which a flash of feminine underwear could be glimpsed. I was hooked. It gave me a taste for physically vigorous women - they are so much more fun. She was in fact one of the first two female refinery technologists at that place. They were considered very much a novelty. While they had to put up with lots of girlie calendars about the place (this was the early 1980s), they also found that, once they had proved they knew what they were talking about, the refinery operators would do absolutely anything for them.

I don't know why you think the window for women to express their "gender" (how I hate that word) has narrowed. I should have thought it is very much the opposite. Tomboy is a term going back about 400 years and in the UK at least it has connotations of girls that like to do "masculine" things. But the list of "masculine" things has got shorter and shorter as women have become emancipated, from the workplace to sport.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's normal...when in the United States there is a laissez-faire that make anyone undergo that delicate medical procedure.
In my country there is a trial. Yes, a trial: with your lawyer, the prosecutor that represents the State and the judge, and the judge ascertains whether the person has the profound convinction of changing sex definitively, after analyzing the medical evidence and the psychological expertise.

The failure of liberalism and permissivism, ladies and gentlemen.
You love your fascism.
We prefer liberty.
Neither is wrong.
Woe unto us if ever our medical decisions require
the adversarial approach of criminal court, with
government fighting us.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There's no stigma about being a tomboy - at least not in Britain. The sexiest girl I ever went out with was a tomboy. She was a chemical engineer who worked at the refinery. The first time I went to her house she emerged from beneath her car, streaked with oil, from changing the clutch bearing: she had loosened the front engine mountings and removed the rear one, supporting the engine on a jack. But, in addition to the oily stains on the old jeans she was wearing, there was a little tear, just under the left buttock, through which a flash of feminine underwear could be glimpsed. I was hooked. It gave me a taste for physically vigorous women - they are so much more fun. She was in fact one of the first two female refinery technologists at that place. They were considered very much a novelty. While they had to put up with lots of girlie calendars about the place (this was the early 1980s), they also found that, once they had proved they knew what they were talking about, the refinery operators would do absolutely anything for them.

I don't know why you think the window for women to express their "gender" (how I hate that word) has narrowed. I should have thought it is very much the opposite. Tomboy is a term going back about 400 years and in the UK at least it has connotations of girls that like to do "masculine" things. But the list of "masculine" things has got shorter and shorter as women have become emancipated, from the workplace to sport.
I think it's cool when women are into typically masculine things. It is refreshing.

The narrow window mostly has to do with how they market to little girls: Everything is pink with rainbows. Then at a certain age it's little adult clothing, like tight and short things, bikini thongs, and the like. It's just a little strange to me. Dancing classes are way different too. Very sexualized moves with skimpy costumes. They should just be kids.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think it's cool when women are into typically masculine things. It is refreshing.

The narrow window mostly has to do with how they market to little girls: Everything is pink with rainbows. Then at a certain age it's little adult clothing, like tight and short things, bikini thongs, and the like. It's just a little strange to me. Dancing classes are way different too. Very sexualized moves with skimpy costumes. They should just be kids.
Yes I agree that's all a bit creepy. On the one hand we are far stricter about inappropriate contact with minors and on the other we seem to push them towards precocious sexual awareness.

Sexual behaviour has become a minefield. It was only a few years ago that they stopped having a "back to school" fancy dress party on Clapham Common in September, the idea of which was that young men and women, well past school age, would dress up provocatively in skimpy "school uniform" type outfits. Someone eventually realised the kind of mixed message that sends out and they got stopped!

(Mind you, I went to a "back to school" party when I was in Dubai in the 80s, given by some nurses, and came away with a rather splendid Scots girl who had bucked the "sexy" trend and come dressed as a blackboard. When I saw her I thought "That's the girl for me". But I had put on shorts and she fancied me because she said I had good knees - I was a keen Laser sailor at the time.:cool:)

Orbit

I'm a planet

I only have anecdotal evidence, in the form of a friend who stopped the process short and reversed it. He had been transitioning M to F but couldn't stand all the social hate that was aimed at him because of it. He was also worried about medical problems from bottom surgery. In the end, the cons outweighed the pros and he de-transitioned. He wasn't "unsure", it's just that he had his reasons.

All these new detransition videos on youtube that are attacking trans rights are funded by the same fundamentalist group (Moms for Liberty or something like that) that was behind the anti-mask movement during the pandemic.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I only have anecdotal evidence, in the form of a friend who stopped the process short and reversed it. He had been transitioning M to F but couldn't stand all the social hate that was aimed at him because of it. He was also worried about medical problems from bottom surgery. In the end, the cons outweighed the pros and he de-transitioned. He wasn't "unsure", it's just that he had his reasons.

All these new detransition videos on youtube that are attacking trans rights are funded by the same fundamentalist group (Moms for Liberty or something like that) that was behind the anti-mask movement during the pandemic.
Oh god the Moms for Liberty.
I remember them and their cringe.
Disgusting people

King Phenomenon

I’m sure there are unsure people though

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It seems to me, when people get a sex change, they come across as being more miserable then ever.

King Phenomenon

I would listen to the greater trans community and what they have to say about this, not just rely on Youtube videos that criticize trans issues.
Haven’t seen one but there’s a whole group of questioning people out there as LGBTQ suggests