• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for Atheism if you aren't in the DIR

Niatero

*banned*
I wanted to respond to that question, but I'm not in the DIR and I don't want to be, because I don't identify as one and I might not be qualifed. There might be other people who are not in the DIR who would want to give their reasons. I'll give mine in a separate post.

Niatero

*banned*
I don't think that there is anything that anyone will ever be able to imagine, describe or define, that created the universe. I agree with the Buddha that speculating about it either way, whether or not he/she/they/it exist(s) is a useless, counterproductive and positively harmful distraction which drives people mad (in more ways than one). God says so Himself. :D

I'm not actually sure how I ended up here. Maybe because I saw myself going mad (in more ways than one) trying to find some way for it to have some meaning for me to say that an unknowable creator exists, or does not exist.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree with the Buddha that speculating about it either way, whether or not he/she/they/it exist(s) is a useless, counterproductive and positively harmful distraction which drives people mad (in more ways than one).
Where does he say this? Do you think he would castigate cosmogony as "a useless, counterproductive and positively harmful distraction which drives people mad (in more ways than one)"?

Niatero

*banned*
Do you think he would castigate cosmogony as "a useless, counterproductive and positively harmful distraction which drives people mad (in more ways than one)"?
If you're thinking about some "historical" Buddha, I don't know. If you mean the Buddha in the scriptures of Hinduism Buddhism, then yes.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If you're thinking about some "historical" Buddha, I don't know. If you mean the Buddha in the scriptures of Hinduism, then yes.
Thanks for answering the second of my two questions. Now, for those of us less familiar with "the Buddha in the scriptures of Hinduism," could you please cite your source?

Niatero

*banned*
Thanks for answering the second of my two questions. Now, for those of us less familiar with "the Buddha in the scriptures of Hinduism," could you please cite your source?

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas[1] is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...[2]

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

- Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable, translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'm an atheist because I'm a fan of evidence.

I'm anti-religion because magical thinking might just destroy the planet.
Magical thinking is what got us to where we are today and is at the heart of the very beginning of Science.

As to why I don't believe in God simply experience. I don't consider myself an Atheist because I don't really care about Religion as a whole. Which is why I am not in the Atheist DIR.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If one is a skeptic and an empiricist, agnostic atheism is the only tenable position. As a skeptic, I accept no claim that gods do or do not exist because somebody says they do or do not. As an empiricist, I require evidence to conclude that gods do or do not exist, which is insufficient for both propositions.
Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.
Thanks for that. I think that's the first thing attributed to Buddha that I have found wrong, assuming that the words in brackets faithfully represent what was said and meant. Even if we remove those words, we've got a wrong-headed statement.
I'm anti-religion because magical thinking might just destroy the planet.
I agree with you that magical thinking is potentially dangerous, but I don't agree that all religions are a problem. The polytheists (I'm including the dharmics with the Druids, Wiccans, and other so-called pagans) seem to be mostly harmless since their focus seems to be earth-centered and their gods symbols for the elements of nature.

Niatero

*banned*
Actually I don't think that applies to big bang theories for example, because they aren't claiming that the big bang is the first cause or origin of all being. It isn't affirming or denying the existence of a first cause or origin. It's just investigating the results of projecting current theories of relativity and quantum mechanics as far as they can into the past. I think the people who really understand it think that it fails some time before it actually reaches the time where it all converges to zero, and even then the researchers aren't saying that there isn't anything before that. Just that with current theories we can't go back any farther than that.

(later) Also, the equations are not saying that there is or not and was or was not anything outside of space and time making it all happen. That's outside of the range of the research, not part of its purpose at all.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It isn't affirming or denying the existence of a first cause or origin.

Given your quote ...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."​

... it's rather hard to know precisely what is being affirmed or denied. So, for example, is "[the origin, etc., of]" your addition or that of Thanissaro Bhikkhu? When removed, the sentence simply rails against the pursuit of knowledge. That's a dangerous dogma.

Returning to your second post:

I don't think that there is anything that anyone will ever be able to imagine, describe or define, that created the universe.

So you don't believe in the indescribable because it's indescribable? OK.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm also not contributing to the Atheist DIR since although mostly atheist (a bit agnostic) I don't feel the need to proselytise this position to others, apart from general discussions as to certain matters or as to how I came to such a conclusion. I also tend to believe that one can waste an awful lot of one's life in contemplation and/or search as to the more difficult questions (life, the universe, and everything - to quote dear Douglas Adams) particularly when one could be doing more beneficial things. And especially so when so many seem to be led down blind alleys (YEC- Yuk!) because they are gullible enough to believe that what was written long ago had enough truth to be believable. How long does one have to wait before any particular religion's pronouncements are seen as waffle when they don't come to pass? o_O

Reasons why I became an atheist here (#27):

Last edited:

HonestJoe

I always find it a little odd when people talk about their reasons for being atheist, as if it is an active decision that is consciously considered and decided on. I'm an atheist because I don't believe in any gods. While I've given consideration (briefly) to some specific proposed gods, I make a distinction between consciously concluding that a specific set of beliefs aren't valid and the general characteristic of not believing in any gods. A bit like the difference between preferring Fords over BMWs and whether you currently own any car or not.

I suspect the factors that led me to my theological position and a combination of upbringing, cultural environment, education and fundamental mindset. I also think it is way, way down on the list of significant or relevant characteristics about me (and overall, I'm not an especially interesting person ;) ). That's the main reason I'm not in the DIR.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Given your quote ...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."​

... it's rather hard to know precisely what is being affirmed or denied. So, for example, is "[the origin, etc., of]" your addition or that of Thanissaro Bhikkhu? When removed, the sentence simply rails against the pursuit of knowledge. That's a dangerous dogma.

Returning to your second post:

So you don't believe in the indescribable because it's indescribable? OK.
Pali:
(Acinteyyasuttaṃ)

(Sāvatthinidānaṃ:)

27. Cattārimāni bhikkhave acinteyyāni na cintetabbāni, yāni cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assa. Katamāni cattāri?

Buddhānaṃ bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo na cintetabbo, yaṃ cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assa.

Jhāyissa bhikkhave jhānavisayo acinteyyo na cintetabbo, yaṃ cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assa.

Kammavipāko bhikkhave acinteyyo na cintetabbo, yaṃ cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assa.

Lokacintā bhikkhave acinteyyā na cintetabbā, yaṃ cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assa.

Imāni kho bhikkhave cattāri acinteyyāni na cintetabbāni, yāni cintento ummādassa vighātassa bhāgī assāti.

So basically, pseudoscience.