• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Okay, so i've been looking it up and looking it up, and i just can't find anything dealing with it. Here's what i need to know. Recently, at my workplace, the store manager took all the paychecks out of the store. Essentially, where i work, our paychecks are mailed to us and they get their on tuesday, and our payday is thursday. The store manager took them on tuesday, to her house. She brought them back on thursday. Nonetheless, this made multiple people upset, myself being one of them, due to the lack of safety involved and the basic lack of this needing to be done.

What i'm trying to figure out is whether or not this is legal. It doesn't seem like it would be, but i just can't seem to find anything that indicates one way or the other. Anyone know about this?

4consideration

Premium Member
Okay, so i've been looking it up and looking it up, and i just can't find anything dealing with it. Here's what i need to know. Recently, at my workplace, the store manager took all the paychecks out of the store. Essentially, where i work, our paychecks are mailed to us and they get their on tuesday, and our payday is thursday. The store manager took them on tuesday, to her house. She brought them back on thursday. Nonetheless, this made multiple people upset, myself being one of them, due to the lack of safety involved and the basic lack of this needing to be done.

What i'm trying to figure out is whether or not this is legal. It doesn't seem like it would be, but i just can't seem to find anything that indicates one way or the other. Anyone know about this?

Perhaps you could check with someone that handles payroll in the corporate office, regarding whether or not there is some company policy or history of theft of paychecks that may have warrented such action.

It is possible the manager was simply trying to protect the payroll. But, there does seem to be something unusual about the situation from what you said.

A simple inquiry with the company regarding protocol could be handled as just wishing to verify if was done within company policy/permission, as a security concern, with a request that the contact with the corporate office be regarded as confidential.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Here's my thinking. If your paycheck were mailed directly to your home it would be illegal for your manager to take it out of your mailbox and take it home with her if even for a couple days. Tampering with the mail is a federal offense. If your paycheck is addressed to you at the address of your workplace then removing it from the premises by anyone other than you, without your express permission, would be tampering with the mail and possibly considered theft as well.

It really depends on how it is addressed. If it is addressed to the business then it is business property and any impropriety with the paychecks on the part of the manager would be an internal affair dealing with the rules of the business.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
If you're really concerned about this, I'd suggest contacting someone who would actually be able to give you an accurate answer, such as your local labor department, employment security commision (or whatever entity provides those types of services in Area 51), rather than asking random people on a religious forum.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

State of New Jersey Laws requires you to be paid on the company setup pay day. As long as that is done they are legal. One of my business would get all the checks mailed to the manager. The manager would lock them in a safe untill payday. If the manager loses the paychecks your company is still required to pay you. If you lose a paycheck the company is required to pay you after verifing it was not cashed and payment is stopped. These are New Jersey's Law's check your state law's they should be similar.