• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Possible Heating of Planets

Animore

Say a planet, Earth or similar, is dried up and heated to extreme measures. Could that planet, at least temporarily, act as a light/heat source for other planets? Apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I don't think so. Because the planet itself is not heating or lighting anything. It is simply absorbing the heat and reflecting the light of the star nearby. The only way it could act as one or the other would be if the surface was reflective.

Animore

I don't think so. Because the planet itself is not heating or lighting anything. It is simply absorbing the heat and reflecting the light of the star nearby. The only way it could act as one or the other would be if the surface was reflective.

Ah, I see. Thanks a bunch.

jonathan180iq

You're talking about an enormous planet... absolutely enormous.

To other planets, no. To it's nearby moons, yes.

The distances are just too great.
Earth, for example, gives off a bit of it's own reflected radiation and expresses some heat to the moon through tidal flexing, but it's such a low amount that there's really no reason to talk about it.

You can start to see real effects of this on planet/moon systems that are either much closer to one another or through moons that have gigantic planetary partners, like Jupiter and Saturn.

Jupiter, for example, creates so much flex in some of his moons and produces so much radiation that even if life were able to exist in some of the warmer locations, the radiation would most likely destroy it... (off topic, I know.) But, with Jupiter, if it were larger by only factor of about 10, it would probably have enough mass to collapse in on itself and turn into a small star.

So for something to do what you're saying, if would have to be so enormous that it was bordering on the boundary between planet and star. There's a reason that there's a difference.

David1967

Premium Member

How about if a gas giant such as Jupiter was somehow ignited? Didn't that happen in a movie once?

Quetzal

Premium Member
How about if a gas giant such as Jupiter was somehow ignited? Didn't that happen in a movie once?
I was thinking about this after I posted it. It could be possible that the core of a planet could become unstable and release energy in the form of heat. But I would speculate that you would have to be pretty close to feel anything from it. I'm not sure about Jupiter. These are good questions and I am all out of guesses. :D

David1967

Premium Member
I was thinking about this after I posted it. It could be possible that the core of a planet could become unstable and release energy in the form of heat. But I would speculate that you would have to be pretty close to feel anything from it. I'm not sure about Jupiter. These are good questions and I am all out of guesses. :D

I think it was the movie 2010 that that happened in. BTW, kinda fun bouncing back and forth between politics and outer space. :)

Quetzal

Premium Member
I think it was the movie 2010 that that happened in. BTW, kinda fun bouncing back and forth between politics and outer space. :)
I love posts like this. It makes me curious... now I am off to google the following:

"If I light Jupiter on fire, what happens?"
"Does Mercury put off heat?"
"101 Ways to Use Turkey Bacon in Everyday Cooking"

David1967

Premium Member
I love posts like this. It makes me curious... now I am off to google the following:

"If I light Jupiter on fire, what happens?"
"Does Mercury put off heat?"
"101 Ways to Use Turkey Bacon in Everyday Cooking"

If I remember correctly it made Europa habitable.

Quetzal

Premium Member
If I remember correctly it made Europa habitable.
I am not very good with gasses and how they interact. What I did learn is that lighting a match on Jupiter wouldn't do much due to the lack of oxygen. Womp womp.

David1967

Premium Member
I am not very good with gasses and how they interact. What I did learn is that lighting a match on Jupiter wouldn't do much due to the lack of oxygen. Womp womp.

Well, it was just a movie. A fun movie though.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Say a planet, Earth or similar, is dried up and heated to extreme measures. Could that planet, at least temporarily, act as a light/heat source for other planets? Apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance.
I suspect not.

There's no medium to transfer heat in space, so the heat has to be transferred either though radiation, gravitational force, or superheated matter (plasma).