• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purim

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Last night, March 23, Purim began. To all those Jews who celebrate it, chag Purim sameach!

Purim is a celebration of the deliverance of the Jews in the book of Esther. If you don't know the story, here is a horribly simplified version.

King Ahasuerus, a Persian monarch, demands that his wife appear for him and his drunken friends. When she refuses (go Vashti!), he gets rid of her. He then has all the virgins in the Kingdom come before him, and out of all of them, he chooses Esther (yay!). Esther is Jewish, but the King does not know this. Meanwhile, Esther's uncle Mordecai (yay!) is a mover and shaker in the employment of the King. Another official named Haman (boooo!) hates Mordecai (yay!) because Mordecai, being a Jew, bows to no one but God, and refuses to bow to Haman (boooo!). Skipping forward, Haman (booo!) decides to kill not only Mordecai (yay!!!), but all the Jews. He convinces the King to sign into law that all the Jews are to be killed on a certain day. Now there was a rule that anyone who interrupts the King will be killed if the interruption annoys the King. Esther(yay!) decides to risk her very life and interrupts the King to invite him to dinner. Fortunately the King accepts. At the dinner, Esther (yay!) reveals that she is a Jew, and that his new law will mean her death, and she explains Haman's (booo!) evil plot. The King cannot undo the law he already signed, but he passes a new law saying that on that day, Jews can defend themselves. Haman (boo!) is then executed on the very same gallows that he had built to hang Mordecai. The day becomes a holiday to remember what happened.

Although opinions vary, most Jewish historians tell us that Esther is not historical, but a work of fiction. It was meant to be a sort of melodrama, which is why one of the customs of Purim is to have a musical melodrama performed creatively retelling the story, called Purim spiels.. The audience uses noise makers and yells "boo" every time Haman is mentioned, and "Yay" every time Esther or Mordechai is mentioned. One of the ideas of the story is that even when God seems far away (God is never mentioned in Esther) there is still hope. It emphasizes our responsibility to intervene against evil, rather than depending on God alone. It is the only book that authorized a new holy day besides the Torah.

It is common for synagogues to have some sort of carnival in addition to the Purim spiel. Children (and also some adults) dress up in costumes. The cookie of the day is a triangular on with some sort of filling in the middle, typically fruit jellies -- these are called Hamantaschen

1711307597346.png

1711307701902.png

For those concerned about Kol Isha, the following Purim spiel is done by a Reform synagogue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
King Ahasuerus, a Persian monarch, demands that his wife dance for him and his drunken friends.
Not entirely sure where you got the idea that she was called to dance (the text just says that she was called to appear before them) (also, she and her friends were likely drunk themselves, given that she also organized her own banquet).

I have other thoughts on what you wrote, but I'll refrain from debating here because this is Interfaith Discussion.
For those concerned about Kol Isha, the following Purim spiel is done by a Reform synagogue.
Why does that solve the issue?

IndigoChild5559

Not entirely sure where you got the idea that she was called to dance (the text just says that she was called to appear before them) (also, she and her friends were likely drunk themselves, given that she also organized her own banquet).

I have other thoughts on what you wrote, but I'll refrain from debating here because this is Interfaith Discussion.
You are absolutely correct. I'm not sure where I got the idea -- obviously someone must have said it to me. But text of Esther simply says that the King intended to "display her beauty" to his drunken friends.

This is what I found online:

"The text itself does not clearly address why Vashti refused to appear. A variety of theories have emerged. According to Esther 1:11, Queen Vashti was told to appear “wearing her royal crown,” and one rabbinical tradition interprets this as the king’s instruction to wear only her royal crown—in other words, she was told to appear in the nude. According to that tradition, Queen Vashti refused because she did not want to be put on display before a group of salacious, drunken men. This view is not found in the biblical text, nor can it be supported by history.

"However, it is likely that Vashti refused to appear because she would have been humiliated in some way. The king and his men had been feasting and drinking for seven days. It is almost assured that they did not have noble intentions in calling her to the party. While nothing more specific is noted, the context—especially the reference to her beauty—indicates that her attendance at the feast was sought to entertain the men in some way."

I assure you, no woman is comfortable being put on display for a bunch or drunken men. We do not appreciate being ogled.
Why does that solve the issue?
It gives a heads up, so that anyone who does not wish to listen to women singing can opt not to click on the link.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

You are absolutely correct. I'm not sure where I got the idea -- obviously someone must have said it to me

From The JPS Bible Commentary: Esther; page 15:

R. Aibu said: What makes atonement for Israel is that when Israelites eat and drink and make merry, they bless and praise and extol the Holy One Blessed Be He, whereas when other nations eat and drink they turn to lewdness. So here, one said, "The Median women are more beautiful," and another said, "The Persian women are more beautiful." Said that fool [Ahasuerus] to them: "The vessel which I use is neither Median nor Persian, but Chaldean. Would you like to see it?" They replied, "Yes, but she must be naked." "Very well," he said to them, "let her be naked."​

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

R. Aibu said: What makes atonement for Israel is that when Israelites eat and drink and make merry, they bless and praise and extol the Holy One Blessed Be He, whereas when other nations eat and drink they turn to lewdness. So here, one said, "The Median women are more beautiful," and another said, "The Persian women are more beautiful." Said that fool [Ahasuerus] to them: "The vessel which I use is neither Median nor Persian, but Chaldean. Would you like to see it?" They replied, "Yes, but she must be naked." "Very well," he said to them, "let her be naked."​
Yes, that idea is well-known. No dancing, though.

IndigoChild5559

Wow, thanks. You are a treasure.

River Sea

Playing a string of Purim songs on the guitar during brain surgery in Ichilov
מנגן מחרוזת שירי פורים בגיטרה בעת ניתוח מוח באיכילוב
Plays Guitar While Undergoing Brain Surgery

River Sea

Playing a string of Purim songs on the guitar during brain surgery in Ichilov
מנגן מחרוזת שירי פורים בגיטרה בעת ניתוח מוח באיכילוב
Plays Guitar While Undergoing Brain Surgery
This one amazes me. I don't know the full situation, but this guy plays Purim on his guitar while having brain surgery.

I'm still amazed by this.

1. How doctors can do brain surgery
2. How come this guy is playing the guitar? Did playing the guitar help him through any emotions during brain surgery?
3. Did this help the doctors know that all is well as they continue with brain surgery?