• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: non-Muslims media Habits and their views to wards Muslims

SalmaSalma

Dear friends,
I'm doing this academic research on the perception of non-Muslims about Muslims in the West and I designed this survey which i need some non-Muslims to take. the survey only has 12 multiple choice questions which I'm sure it won't take much of your time.

The survey only requires responses from Non-Muslim youth living in Western or English-speaking countries, aged 15-35.
Please note that the responses are anonymous.

I highly appreciate your participation and contribution to this research. below is the link:
Non-Muslims Media Habits and Views Towards Islam

Laika

Premium Member
Submitted.

Survey results will be used in an academic study that investigates the impact of media on the perception of different faiths towards each other.

Excellent topic. :) I'd be surprised if there isn't a substanical difference in perception based on sources. I tend to think the TV is biased towards negative stertypes of Islam, particuarly the News as the spot light disproprtinately falls on the violence.

SalmaSalma

Thank you so much"Red Economist" & "illykitty" for your participation :). I appreciate the time you spent to take my survey. I quite agree with your point. Unfortunately there is a lot of stereotyping on the media about different faiths and especially of Islam. I do hope there comes a day when people learn to understand different faiths from their reliable sources rather than any media outlet.

Kirran

Premium Member
Done! 'Other' on gender would be nice. Some questions were difficult. Like the one on 'Islamic values' :) and the 'insist' on converting one. I kind of went with intermediate answers, as I feel that the values some Muslims say are Islamic are entirely compatible, and others' less so. On converting, I feel most Muslims favour but I'm not sure how I feel on 'insist'.

But a good survey to be doing, will you let us know your conclusions?

By the way, your 'what do you want in a religion?' question did read kinda like the list of attributes you think Islam has :)

I'm a 20 year old British guy, incidentally.

SalmaSalma

Done! 'Other' on gender would be nice. Some questions were difficult. Like the one on 'Islamic values' :) and the 'insist' on converting one. I kind of went with intermediate answers, as I feel that the values some Muslims say are Islamic are entirely compatible, and others' less so. On converting, I feel most Muslims favour but I'm not sure how I feel on 'insist'.

But a good survey to be doing, will you let us know your conclusions?

By the way, your 'what do you want in a religion?' question did read kinda like the list of attributes you think Islam has :)

I'm a 20 year old British guy, incidentally.

Thank you Kirran as well for your participation. In terms of the question related to gender, 2 types of physical gender exists for human beings which is mentioned in all surveys the way I have referred to it. Even those who change genders or are born with some abnormalities (scientifically referring to their gender status), consider themselves more a male or female depending on the amount of hormones which is released inside their body. If anybody thinks they have another gender or both, they can choose the gender they prefer to be known as :D.

In terms of the word "insist" and "favour": when a person "favours" doing an action, he/she will have it in their intentions, this means that they might not be successful to actually do that action in practice. But when we talk about "insisting" we generally mean that that intention has become practical and has showed itself in action. That's why I chose the word "insist". Thank you again for your kind explanations.

I intended not to publish the results until I write my academic article about it once it is done. But I will let you know if there was a change in my decision. I might as well just publish it if there are a lot requests ;)

About the question: 'what do you want in a religion?' I was looking for the common grounds between Islam and other religions.

Kirran

Premium Member
Thank you Kirran as well for your participation. In terms of the question related to gender, 2 types of physical gender exists for human beings which is mentioned in all surveys the way I have referred to it. Even those who change genders or are born with some abnormalities (scientifically referring to their gender status), consider themselves more a male or female depending on the amount of hormones which is released inside their body. If anybody thinks they have another gender or both, they can choose the gender they prefer to be known as :D.

You're welcome.

Now, this is a bit of a tangent, but gender is not physical, gender is related to self-identity. Sex is physical. Even then, there are intersex individuals who really do not belong to either sex. Gender is even broader, because identities can change around a lot. A hijra's sex is male, but their gender is neither man nor woman, for example.

In terms of the word "insist" and "favour": when a person "favours" doing an action, he/she will have it in their intentions, this means that they might not be successful to actually do that action in practice. But when we talk about "insisting" we generally mean that that intention has become practical and has showed itself in action. That's why I chose the word "insist". Thank you again for your kind explanations.

I intended not to publish the results until I write my academic article about it once it is done. But I will let you know if there was a change in my decision. I might as well just publish it if there are a lot requests ;)

About the question: 'what do you want in a religion?' I was looking for the common grounds between Islam and other religions.

Hopefully you'll publish it! It'd be interesting to see. What country are you working in?

SalmaSalma

You're welcome.

Now, this is a bit of a tangent, but gender is not physical, gender is related to self-identity. Sex is physical. Even then, there are intersex individuals who really do not belong to either sex. Gender is even broader, because identities can change around a lot. A hijra's sex is male, but their gender is neither man nor woman, for example.

Hopefully you'll publish it! It'd be interesting to see. What country are you working in?

Quite true!! I will hopefully do so in future surveys for your consent :). I was in the UK, just moved to UAE.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Eight I couldn't answer accurately - I don't believe any those things are inherent within Islam, and that it is cultural pressures and individual choices.
Nine I couldn't answer accurately - I am not interested in religion.
11 and 12 I also found problematic - As I do with Christianity, I judge the individual apart from their book.

SalmaSalma

Eight I couldn't answer accurately - I don't believe any those things are inherent within Islam, and that it is cultural pressures and individual choices.
Nine I couldn't answer accurately - I am not interested in religion.
11 and 12 I also found problematic - As I do with Christianity, I judge the individual apart from their book.

"shadow Wolf", thanks for your participation and helpful comments. I shall adjust question 9 to religion/belief so that it would include people whose belief is to have no religion or those who believe that no religion exists.
Nice to hear that you judge individuals apart from their books. In the questionnaire, wherever I have said "Muslims" I meant the individuals (those who call themselves as Muslims), because I understand that many individuals do no necessarily follow their books. And also wherever that I have stated "Islam", I meant the religion(Islam) or book (Quran) in itself, apart from the actions that the followers do that is not in line with the actual religion/book.

Also, I tried to keep the survey as short as possible so that respondents would have to spend less time on it, so I didn't include the amount of media use in this survey.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Dear friends,
I'm doing this academic research on the perception of non-Muslims about Muslims in the West and I designed this survey which i need some non-Muslims to take. the survey only has 12 multiple choice questions which I'm sure it won't take much of your time.

The survey only requires responses from Non-Muslim youth living in Western or English-speaking countries, aged 15-35.
Please note that the responses are anonymous.

I highly appreciate your participation and contribution to this research. below is the link:
Non-Muslims Media Habits and Views Towards Islam
All done.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
none of the options really covered my thoughts but I did my best to pick one.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Very few options applied to me well. How I'd really fill out the survey on the questions that fit poorly?

TV genre: sci-fi/fantasy
Question 5: not applicable; I do not use social media at all
Question 6: DVDs
Question 8: none of these

SalmaSalma

Aw man, I'm too old. But I have opinions!
I'm sorry I couldn't fit you in the age group. My target group were youth. Maybe in the next survey you can help me out, or maybe you can send it to those who you know would be willing to take it and r within the age range ;)

none of the options really covered my thoughts but I did my best to pick one.
I think I'm having to add an "other" to my choices as so many seem to have diverse opinions. If you had the time and wanted to do so maybe you can check again and edit your replies. I've put the option of being able to edit your survey after its done.

ery few options applied to me well. How I'd really fill out the survey on the questions that fit poorly?
First of all. thanks for your participation. I included "other" to the gender question, the genre question and question number 8, so you can change it now. In Questions 6, DVD would go under "on demand". In Questions 5, you can mention "I spend more time watching TV than following social media" since you said you watch DVD's then I guess u make more use of ur TV that way.