• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll- Is Trump likely to be reelected?

silvermoon383

Very interesting. Since half the country voted for him, and you say no one likes President Trump, what do you think that implies about how insular your sphere of associates is?
(Emphasis mine)

If the numbers about the 2016 election on Wikipedia are accurate:

55.7% of eligible voters actually voted. Of those votes, Candidate Trump received 46.1%. Putting those percentages together (0.557*0.461) shows is that only 25.7% of the country voted for him. Far, far less than the half you state.

It really bothers me whenever Republicans state that Trump’s election was the will of the people. It clearly was not, Candidate Clinton had received approx. 3 million more votes than Trump (48.2% of all cast). He only became president by exploiting an archaic system that was designed to cut the common people out of the electoral process, for whatever reason.

I can only wonder what would’ve happened if turnout was 100%, but that’ll never happen, especially with all the blocks Republican legislatures at the state level are putting on voting.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
(Emphasis mine)

55.7% of eligible voters actually voted. Of those votes, Candidate Trump received 46.1%. Putting those percentages together (0.557*0.461) shows is that only 25.7% of the country voted for him. Far, far less than the half you state.

It really bothers me whenever Republicans state that Trump’s election was the will of the people. It clearly was not, Candidate Clinton had received approx. 3 million more votes than Trump (48.2% of all cast). He only became president by exploiting an archaic system that was designed to cut the common people out of the electoral process, for whatever reason.

I can only wonder what would’ve happened if turnout was 100%, but that’ll never happen, especially with all the blocks Republican legislatures at the state level are putting on voting.

The system was about states voting not a national vote. Civics 101 and based US history...

Shad

Veteran Member
that was in the 1700s, we should have advanced a bit since then!!

Changing a federation and republic into a democracy is not an advancement. It is exactly what the FF were against. Tyranny of the majority.

ecco

Veteran Member
Changing a federation and republic into a democracy is not an advancement. It is exactly what the FF were against. Tyranny of the majority.
Now we have tyranny of the majority of the representatives.

Shaul

Premium Member
(Emphasis mine)

The U.S. is a Republic. Trump won the majority in a majority of the States, that is he won the Electoral College. The Electoral College system is a great system. If you don’t like it, go ahead and see if you can amend the Constitution.

SoyLeche

meh...
Not sure where best to put this...

EP0g3VBX0AElunS

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The U.S. is a Republic. Trump won the majority in a majority of the States, that is he won the Electoral College. The Electoral College system is a great system. If you don’t like it, go ahead and see if you can amend the Constitution.
One can change it without amending the Constitution. You only like it because of the invalid win that it gave Trump. If it gave the win to Hillary you would be crying in your beer.

SoyLeche

meh...
One can change it without amending the Constitution. You only like it because of the invalid win that it gave Trump. If it gave the win to Hillary you would be crying in your beer.
I'm not sure how you would pull off changing it without an ammendment.

And I'd be surprised if any Republican were to win the popular vote in the next several elections. The demographics of the population are against them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how you would pull off changing it without an ammendment.

And I'd be surprised if any Republican were to win the popular vote in the next several elections. The demographics of the population are against them.
It can be done and there has been significant progress. First off one must realize that states can decide how they award their own electoral votes. That is in the constitution.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right now there is a National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in the works. It has passed in several states and is pending in enough to make it the effective law of the land.

States that have signed it agree that once enough states sign it so that their cumulative electoral votes are over 50% that all of them will give their electoral votes to the popular vote winner.

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact - Wikipedia

SoyLeche

meh...
Ok, I gotcha. I had forgotten about that.

it would be interesting to see the inevitable Supreme Court case about that if it ends up passing. It would probably stand, although if the court is stacked...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ok, I gotcha. I had forgotten about that.

it would be interesting to see the inevitable Supreme Court case about that if it ends up passing. It would probably stand, although if the court is stacked...
I doubt if it will happen but it would be interesting to see it passed before the next election. How fast would it go through the court system?

I don't know about you all, but I'd have to give my vote to the Trumpster this November, impeach, imgrape, imbanana, imcherry or imprune.
Regarding the question in the thread title: yes, unfortunately, I think there is a good chance he will be re-elected.

Polls seem to show the Democratic candidates have an edge against Trump of a few points. That is not much larger than the margin of error. Unemployment is very low. His base will support him almost no matter what; there is no slip of the tongue, no gaffe or mistake he can commit, that will cost him. The downside exists only for Democrats.

He also has an enormous advantage in any debate or campaigning. And that is, he doesn’t even need to come close to the truth. All he needs to do is throw punches - the lower, the better - and some of them will land. His opponents will be held to a higher standard than he is and will pay a price if they lower themselves to his level; and also pay a price if they don’t.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Regarding the question in the thread title: yes, unfortunately, I think there is a good chance he will be re-elected.

Polls seem to show the Democratic candidates have an edge against Trump of a few points. That is not much larger than the margin of error. Unemployment is very low. His base will support him almost no matter what; there is no slip of the tongue, no gaffe or mistake he can commit, that will cost him. The downside exists only for Democrats.

He also has an enormous advantage in any debate or campaigning. And that is, he doesn’t even need to come close to the truth. All he needs to do is throw punches - the lower, the better - and some of them will land. His opponents will be held to a higher standard than he is and will pay a price if they lower themselves to his level; and also pay a price if they don’t.

Hopefully whoever debates Trump has a staff that studies his lies and how he lies. From watching people that rely on lies when they debate if one get them them off script they tend to fall apart. Trump may be a good liar, but he is far from clever. Make his lies clear and he will be disarmed.