• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please give me your opinions on this....

MoFacta

Hi All. I'm new to the site and this my first post but I stumbled across this post below on a certain christian site yesterday via Google and I really would like an open, fair, and objective disscussion from others about what this guy is saying:

Posted by xxxxxx on 09/10/01 at 10:39 AM

Subject: Mormon, Muslim and other False Doctrines

Message Posted

Please do not post your false doctrines here, as we WILL NOT LEAVE them up. This is a site for and about CHRISTIANITY. We do not and will not allow ANYTHING but True Biblical Christianity to be posted here.
If you belong to one of the cults or a non biblical church group feel free to ask questions IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TRUTH. THANK YOU

Do you think he is valid in feeling this way or do you support what he is saying? Do you think it's a bit intolerant or do you think it's a fair attitude to have? I got into a short disscussion with this guy later in reply to my reply and he really seemed to be very upset with and intolerant of other religions. Do you feel this is a necessary attitude that God wants us to have or do you think that universal love, compassion, and all the other positive things in life are more worthwhile practicing? Is this what being a true Christian means? Do we have to exclude others that do not share our point of view in such an aggresive and defensive nature? I mean, is this attitude reasonable? I think it's quite clear by now that the world has been divided for too long and it's this type of attitude has kept us from understanding each other. I feel if we can reverse this we can create more empathy for each other, seeding the cultivation of compassion we wouldn't normally have extended. Aren't these the things that Christ came to teach us? Is it really all about guarding our hearts and our souls from hell and the unbeliever? What about now? What about this moment? Do we have to exchange the positive attitudes that can change the world for salvation when we die? What if salvation is now? Salvation is now.

Thank you for your time. Please feel free to give your opinions comfortably and openly.

Jerrell

What he said will reflect his opinion. What if his doctrine is false? THen the truth can never be published. He should allow people to publish what they feel is true, and proove it with the Word of GOd, not fear what others have to say.

Being intolerate is not an attitude we should have. Being a Christian Minister I have to deal with many types of folks. I even have some friends and associates who are gothic, and practice dark magic. They know how i feel about it, but pushing people of other religions away, and trying to shuve the truth down their throats will not help anyone in anyway.

Love is the way to do things. Show CHrist in your actions and ways. SHow him in how you speak and how you live your everday life.

---I will finsh answering 2morow

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
While I may not agree with his opinion, he should run his forum how he sees fit. Those who disagree with him and can come here. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
While I may not agree with his opinion, he should run his forum how he sees fit. Those who disagree with him and can come here. :)

Just what I was going to say; tryingnot to be judgemental, but he sounds a little narrow minded.

SoyLeche

meh...
We've gone over the whole "Mormon's aren't Christians" thing here enough times to make you head spin, and it probably isn't over. The difference is, RF is very tolerant and all views are welcome. If you disagree, fine - let's discuss it - see if we can find common ground - if not, agree to disagree and tell a joke or something. Then we are done till the next time it comes up (probably a few days later :) ). I see little to no reason to even get involved with most "Christian" forums on the web.

SoyLeche

meh...
michel said:
Just what I was going to say; tryingnot to be judgemental, but he sounds a little narrow minded.
If we are going to try not to be judgemental while judging - let's do it right. The guy is a self-righteous fool :fork:

kai

ragamuffin
to be blunt he sounds like a fool ,if you want to know about mormons or Islam or the mundane this is the place to be

A

angellous_evangellous

It's irresponsible to bash anyone that is on a spiritual pilgramage.

ayani

if you're not allowing for anything to be posted that doesn't agree with your specific ideals, that's not much of a discussion. and what's the point of a discussion board that has no opportunities for dialogue?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Something tells me the guy who runs that forum wouldn't be open to the likes of the Girls On Trampolines faith. :D

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I've been burned by sites like that before (imagine that!)

Those who attempt to put God in a tidy little box are going to be very surprised one day...

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Perhaps he or she is a very scared or hurt person.

It would be interesting to listen to this person's story (which would save me the trouble of trying to argue him or her into submission, which won't get either of us anywhere but defensive and upset) and try to discern why he or she feels so threatened by people with differing ways of expressing their experiences. I wouldn't confront the person with the idea that they might be closed-minded or scared or wounded. I would simply try to engage in a personal conversation and listen to the person's story.

This person may not want to do that, of course. In which case, there's probably not much else I could do to open a dialogue. Without getting to know the person behind the words, I don't think I could comment one way or the other, except to say that if he or she wants to forbid certain discussions on a forum he or she controls, it is certainly his or her prerogative.

the doppleganger

SoyLeche

meh...
kai said:
to be blunt he sounds like a fool ,if you want to know about mormons or Islam or the mundane this is the place to be
That brings up a good point. Invariably sites like that will eventually bring up topics like "why Mormons aren't Christians." Their arguments will all by flawed and riddled with untruths, but anyone that actually knows something about Mormonism (like, say, a Mormon) that tries to clear up the untruths gets moderated and then soon thereafter banned.

bigvindaloo

MoFacta said:
Hi All. I'm new to the site and this my first post but I stumbled across this post below on a certain christian site yesterday via Google and I really would like an open, fair, and objective disscussion from others about what this guy is saying:

Message Posted

Please do not post your false doctrines here, as we WILL NOT LEAVE them up. This is a site for and about CHRISTIANITY. We do not and will not allow ANYTHING but True Biblical Christianity to be posted here.
If you belong to one of the cults or a non biblical church group feel free to ask questions IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TRUTH. THANK YOU

Do you think he is valid in feeling this way or do you support what he is saying? Do you think it's a bit intolerant or do you think it's a fair attitude to have? I got into a short disscussion with this guy later in reply to my reply and he really seemed to be very upset with and intolerant of other religions. Do you feel this is a necessary attitude that God wants us to have or do you think that universal love, compassion, and all the other positive things in life are more worthwhile practicing? Is this what being a true Christian means? Do we have to exclude others that do not share our point of view in such an aggresive and defensive nature? I mean, is this attitude reasonable? I think it's quite clear by now that the world has been divided for too long and it's this type of attitude has kept us from understanding each other. I feel if we can reverse this we can create more empathy for each other, seeding the cultivation of compassion we wouldn't normally have extended. Aren't these the things that Christ came to teach us? Is it really all about guarding our hearts and our souls from hell and the unbeliever? What about now? What about this moment? Do we have to exchange the positive attitudes that can change the world for salvation when we die? What if salvation is now? Salvation is now.

Thank you for your time. Please feel free to give your opinions comfortably and openly.
It is OK and sometimes necessary to put a fence around your faith when it is immature in order for it to take root and mature. This seems very much the intention of this person. But I don't think a public internet forum is a wise choice of place for planting a seedling needing protection, be it of compassion or anything else. The proof is that he/she comes across as planting seeds of division by being unable to tolerate discussion of other perspectives, yet inviting others to share his/her "truth". They will reap what they sow, and find themselves discussed and dismissed widely, rather than attracting followers/others.

MoFacta

Thank you all for your input. My first initial reaction was very much like all of yours. As Maize said, since it is his own forum he has the right to run it how he wants. Of course we can give him that much. I gather that his motives for the forum was not for an open debate but for the discussion of christianity as pertains to his guidelines and beliefs. If he's being judgemental we can not turn around and label him a 'self-righteous prick', as much as we dearly want to, but instead let him be and suffer the consequences of his own shortcomings. In order for someone to say that something is 'true', one has to claim complete understanding of the subject at hand and back it up by reasonable argument. All else is opinion and faith, which alone can not be judged because of the obvious reason that you can not know someones motivations for believing what they do. Furthermore, since we expect the same in return from everyone else regarding our own beliefs it all just boils down to the golden rule of 'do unto others...' You know, my step father taught me a valuable lesson which pretty much sums this whole thing up. One day, on the way to work, he said this to me out of nowhere: "Greg, you know the saying, 'You can't judge another person until you are in their shoes'?" Of course I replied, "Yes." "Well", he said, "what people don't realise is that you can NEVER walk in someones shoes, EVER, from now until you die, so you can never ever ultimately judge them." That one, simple idea rang like a thousand chimes in my mind. It's so true. Because the cliche exists we take it for granted that judging someone is possible. But in fact, we can only ever get as close as a glimps into someones life, not even near enough to know EXACTLY what they believe or why. Think of your own life. You have many things that you believe, or actions that you take, that is unique to you and only you know the motivations for that. No one could EVER know why. Well, it goes both ways and since we expect others to give us the courteousy of respecting our beliefs we should give them the same in return and ULTIMATELY work towards giving as much empathy, compassiion and love towards our fellow human even if he is your enemy. Someone, somewhere once said, "Thine enemy is thy greatest teacher." Sounds familiar, don't you think?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Sunstone said:
Something tells me the guy who runs that forum wouldn't be open to the likes of the Girls On Trampolines faith. :D

yes, i doubt he would take a liking to the heathens on here, either :rolleyes:

However, as has been pointed out, he is the administrator on the forum, and what he says goes.... so, welcome to RF :D

i have listend to enough preachers in my time, who think what they say is God's divine law, and i find that delivery very off putting.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
MoFacta said:
One day, on the way to work, he said this to me out of nowhere: "Greg, you know the saying, 'You can't judge another person until you are in their shoes'?" Of course I replied, "Yes." "Well", he said, "what people don't realise is that you can NEVER walk in someones shoes, EVER, from now until you die, so you can never ever ultimately judge them."

He sounds like a wise man.

MoFacta said:
Well, it goes both ways and since we expect others to give us the courteousy of respecting our beliefs we should give them the same in return and ULTIMATELY work towards giving as much empathy, compassiion and love towards our fellow human even if he is your enemy. Someone, somewhere once said, "Thine enemy is thy greatest teacher." Sounds familiar, don't you think?

:yes:

Very nicely put. Welcome to the forum, MoFacta. I look forward to reading more of your insights.

the doppleganger

PetShopBoy88

MoFacta said:

Message Posted

Do you think he is valid in feeling this way or do you support what he is saying?
No, I don't think he's "valid". Everybody is in a different place in their spiritual journey. Like Paul said, we should all be teaching those around us, until we ALL come into a unity of the faith. We shouldn't be excluding people simply because their beliefs are different. How can we teach people with whom we can't or won't even reasonably discuss religion?

Booko

Deviled Hen
MoFacta said:

Message Posted

As far as his site goes, if he owns the toys, he gets to say.

As far as your other questions about Christ's teachings, they were about love and compassion and understanding, and He showed the greatest patience with people, with the possible exception of religious leaders of the day, who he called on their hypocrisy in clear enough terms.

I, being nothing remotely like Christ, figure I don't get to make the kind of judgements He was entitled to.

As a practical matter, I've no idea how he expects to attract people to Christ while spitting on them.

ymmv.

Hacker

MoFacta said:
Do you think he is valid in feeling this way or do you support what he is saying?
No he isn't, because who is he to know what the true doctrine of GOd is. Look how many denominations support Christianity.
Do you feel this is a necessary attitude that God wants us to have or do you think that universal love, compassion, and all the other positive things in life are more worthwhile practicing?
I totally believe that universal love, compassion and all other postive things are worth practicing. No matter what, there is really no way to change one's view of what their beliefs are, and many of them aren't Christian related. In contrast, I can understand a website being designed exclusively for Christians, but if one is visiting that site with different interpretations of the bible and opposing his view, then that would not be fair because he isn't God, therefore he doesn't know the truth, in my opinion, nobody does.

Is this what being a true Christian means? Do we have to exclude others that do not share our point of view in such an aggresive and defensive nature?
No, being a Christian should welcome all various aspects of belief...in this case, regarding the bible. I understand that he doesn't welcome other religions, but there are different beliefs within Christianity.
Aren't these the things that Christ came to teach us?
I'm interested in some kind of reference to this from somebody,do you mean to teach us different interpretations of the bible? I don't agree with the way he presented himself about excluding other's, it did appear to be very rude.
Is it really all about guarding our hearts and our souls from hell and the unbeliever?
Well how can we blame the devout Christian who is brainwashed with all of these scare tactics? I can clearly see how it can impact our psyche, the bible is designed just perfectly for the reader to feel obligated to have no other choice(not for everybody though).