• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Boycott Russian Oil!

Are you going to boycott Russian made goods??

• Yes.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maybe/Unsure.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Suave

Simulated character
I oppose Russia's military campaign against Ukraine. I drive an electric vehicle. My home power grid source is from nuclear energy. I am not buying any Russian oil so as to avoid aiding Russia with funding its military campaign against Ukraine. Please let us each do our part with not helping fund the Russian military invasion of Ukraine.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know of any products here to buy, and unless a product is involved in the war I don't see a reason not to trade. Trade can help end fighting, sometimes. For example I'm against punishing youtube presenters who happen to live in Russia. They are not involved. They are not responsible for this invasion of Ukraine, and if they put up some content on youtube about tools or something its not going to change the war.

Like, suppose in a gift shop there are some Russian butter cookies which have been on the shelf for a year. Why shouldn't I buy some? They are just cookies. They are not state pumped oil. So I think just a general boycott may be overly harmful. Anyways there are almost no Russian products here, so a boycott by me would be useless.

So I vote 'Unsure'.

But oil? Yes, I could see how boycotting that might be effective, though I have no need to boycott it since there isn't any here as far as I am aware.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not going to boycott anything Russian.
This is because I don't knowingly buy anything Russian.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, everything comes from China. Now, if you ask me to boycott China that is going to hurt me. Ouch. I can't buy anything, then.

That's what it may come down to. China is supporting Russia and refusing to go along with sanctions. China might very well sanction us. If we think we have supply chain problems now, it will be compounded if China cuts us off.

All those capitalists who advocated for outsourcing and the "global economy" were incredibly foolish and short-sighted to do so.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I don't drink Russian vodka, but if I did I would stop.
I might use a bit of Russian gas, but I don't know how to tell the difference.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Many of the Russian businesses probably are owned by people who are good people who don't want this conflict. That's my struggle with banning stuff. If Biden were to invade Canada does that mean the world should should boycott American made products? I'm an American business man. But I can't control what my government does. See the problem?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's what it may come down to. China is supporting Russia and refusing to go along with sanctions. China might very well sanction us. If we think we have supply chain problems now, it will be compounded if China cuts us off.

All those capitalists who advocated for outsourcing and the "global economy" were incredibly foolish and short-sighted to do so.
China won't stop selling to us.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm going to destroy one of my Russian dolls. Still have a few left though. :oops:

But seriously, I haven't anything or any services that might come from Russia, but I would think about not using such if I had.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I won't knowingly buy Russian products at tge moment, vodka has always been a no,no to me anyway, what else does Russia export except oil and gas?

Electricity in France is over 70% nuclear and 20% renewable. As far as i am aware there are not fossil fuel power stations within a few hundred miles of us, so very little problem there.

Athough only 8% of oil used in france is from Russia, however we rely very much on oil for winter supplementary heating and hot water, gas is bottled, so distilled from oil. Although the kids have an electric car its in no way a family saloon so the family cars need fuel. There is no public transport within 30km (and that is only local)
I am afraid we are between a rock and a hard place with oil

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know of any products I use that are Russian, so the question is kinda inapplicable to my situation anyway.

But the issue of boycotts is often complicated: if we boycott Russian products for its war on Ukraine, then what about Saudi oil? Saudi Arabia is involved in the conflict in Yemen and has contributed to the widespread starvation there. Then we have China with its support for Russia as well as its extreme persecution of Uyghurs, and the U.S. with its extensive record of war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unless we boycott every single country responsible for such actions, boycotts inevitably become selective and sometimes inconsistent. To the best of my ability, though, I try to avoid giving any money to the worst offenders (while acknowledging that even deciding which offenders are "worst" can be a subjective matter).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I won't knowingly buy Russian products at tge moment, vodka has always been a no,no to me anyway, what else does Russia export except oil and gas?

Electricity in France is over 70% nuclear and 20% renewable. As far as i am aware there are not fossil fuel power stations within a few hundred miles of us, so very little problem there.

Athough only 8% of oil used in france is from Russia, however we rely very much on oil for winter supplementary heating and hot water, gas is bottled, so distilled from oil. Although the kids have an electric car its in no way a family saloon so the family cars need fuel. There is no public transport within 30km (and that is only local)
I am afraid we are between a rock and a hard place with oil

I think most of our fuel supplies here are piped in from Texas. I don't drink vodka much anymore, although when I did, it was usually the cheapie generic variety, the kind that burns through metal.

Our local power plant is one of the few coal-burning plants left in the country, although there's a nuclear plant in our state and a lot of solar panels all over the place. It's pretty sunny here most of the time.

We don't really have much of a public transport system either. Amtrak comes through here three times a week. People have to use their cars around here, too.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose that everyone is foolish and shortsighted.

Everybody plays the fool sometimes. When the world is divided over ideology and religion things get so bad that we have to rally around money, instead. Money is the most unifying force, and without it things would be much worse. Its not perfect though.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What business cuts off a major customer? If they embargo us it would only hurt them.

It would hurt us, too. China is not a business. It's a country currently run by a nationalist who has ostensibly allied himself with another nationalist.