• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul’s Famous Speech before the Areopagus, One of my favorite stories

Norman

Defender of Truth
Paul’s Famous Speech before the Areopagus in Acts 17:-31. This is one of my favorite stories in the New Testament. Why? Because Paul was a unique linguistic when it came to debating, disputing or quarrelling. Paul tailored His tutoring depending upon the spiritual readiness of His pupils. Paul spoke Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Because Paul possessed these multilingual skills he was well prepared for his audience who just happen to be the supreme tribunal of Athens the “Areopagus.” In my opinion it was a highlight of a meeting between Jerusalem and Athens, Jesus Christ and his gospel and Greek philosophy.

What happened? It appears that Paul was arrested and brought to this council. Philosophers of the Epicureans, Stoicks were there. He was called a babbler, accused of believing in strange gods because he preached Jesus and the resurrection.

Paul says”22 ¶Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To the Unknown God.

v.26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; (See Note 1)

This is so cool, Paul quotes (see Note 2) for in him we live and move and have our being, as even some of your own poets have said, for we too are his offspring. “as certain also of your own poets have said, for we are also his Offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God” (Acts 17:28, 29).

The fruits of this great speech and outcome was that Paul was able to leave without being killed or imprisoned. Paul gained a convert of prominence “Dionysius the Areopagite” a woman named “Damaris” and others with them.

(Does anyone else have a favorite story from the Bible that they would like to share in this thread? Any comments or thoughts on my story?)

Note 1: (v. 29) Paul was quoting Deuteronomy 32:7 ¶Remember‍ the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask‍ thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. 8 When the most High divided to the nations‍ their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds‍ of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. 9 For the Lord’s portion is‍ his people; Jacob is‍ the lot of his inheritance. (I believe that Paul was teaching the doctrine of the Pre-exist stance).

Note 2. (Acts 17:28, 29) Paul quotes Aratus one of the greatest Hellenistic poets, he studied Stoic philosophy in Athens at the school founded by Zeno (c. 340-265 B.C.). Unfortunately, the only work which survives in its entirety is a poem entitled “Phaenomena”. It is this poem which the great apostle quotes; we can thus read for ourselves the context of the half-line quoted in Acts 17:28: "For we are indeed his offspring."

References:

Kings James Bible. (1989). Published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. Salt Lake City. UT.

www.lds.org

http://www.britannica.com/biography/Aratus-Greek-poet

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Paul’s Famous Speech before the Areopagus in Acts 17:-31. This is one of my favorite stories in the New Testament. Why? Because Paul was a unique linguistic when it came to debating, disputing or quarrelling. Paul tailored His tutoring depending upon the spiritual readiness of His pupils. Paul spoke Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Because Paul possessed these multilingual skills he was well prepared for his audience who just happen to be the supreme tribunal of Athens the “Areopagus.” In my opinion it was a highlight of a meeting between Jerusalem and Athens, Jesus Christ and his gospel and Greek philosophy.

What happened? It appears that Paul was arrested and brought to this council. Philosophers of the Epicureans, Stoicks were there. He was called a babbler, accused of believing in strange gods because he preached Jesus and the resurrection.

Paul says”22 ¶Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To the Unknown God.

v.26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; (See Note 1)

This is so cool, Paul quotes (see Note 2) for in him we live and move and have our being, as even some of your own poets have said, for we too are his offspring. “as certain also of your own poets have said, for we are also his Offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God” (Acts 17:28, 29).

The fruits of this great speech and outcome was that Paul was able to leave without being killed or imprisoned. Paul gained a convert of prominence “Dionysius the Areopagite” a woman named “Damaris” and others with them.

(Does anyone else have a favorite story from the Bible that they would like to share in this thread? Any comments or thoughts on my story?)

Note 1: (v. 29) Paul was quoting Deuteronomy 32:7 ¶Remember‍ the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask‍ thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. 8 When the most High divided to the nations‍ their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds‍ of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. 9 For the Lord’s portion is‍ his people; Jacob is‍ the lot of his inheritance. (I believe that Paul was teaching the doctrine of the Pre-exist stance).

Note 2. (Acts 17:28, 29) Paul quotes Aratus one of the greatest Hellenistic poets, he studied Stoic philosophy in Athens at the school founded by Zeno (c. 340-265 B.C.). Unfortunately, the only work which survives in its entirety is a poem entitled “Phaenomena”. It is this poem which the great apostle quotes; we can thus read for ourselves the context of the half-line quoted in Acts 17:28: "For we are indeed his offspring."

References:

Kings James Bible. (1989). Published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. Salt Lake City. UT.

www.lds.org

http://www.britannica.com/biography/Aratus-Greek-poet
I can't say I have a favourite, but yours was interesting.