• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panslavic Rodnovery

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, English information on Slavic indigenous religion is hard to come by. That's one reason why there's not much on it on this forum.

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I am amazed that there is no subforum on this topic. With 600 milion descendants from slavic gods, one might wonder where they reminisce on the old religion.
http://www.slavorum.org has a few good txts on the subject ( in english ).
Mm, the various Slavic polytheist faiths generally aren't known to most English speakers. There's also the problem(one faced in Germanic paganism too) of the association it has with racists, Nazis and the like who only "believe" because of some stupid idea that you have to be descended from the original practitioners or else you're "desecrating" the faith. Which could not possibly be further from the truth. The only people who're doing damage to the various European paganisms are the racists, sullying the names of Odin, Perun and so on with their bigotry and ignorance.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Umm, I don't think Slavic people were ever particularly fond of the Nazis, or vice-versa. Given that they had planned to kill or enslave them all.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Umm, I don't think Slavic people were ever particularly fond of the Nazis, or vice-versa. Given that they had planned to kill or enslave them all.
You would think, right? However, Eastern Europe has a huge neo-Nazi problem. I remember reading that Russia has the world's largest population of neo-Nazis. The government of the Ukraine has neo-Nazis in it, too. But that's another subject. I don't want to derail the OP's lovely thread, which is sorely needed. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am amazed that there is no subforum on this topic. With 600 milion descendants from slavic gods, one might wonder where they reminisce on the old religion.
http://www.slavorum.org has a few good txts on the subject ( in english ).

We have to consider that Balto-Slavic indigenous religion suffered two blows: Christianization beginning in 988 CE (I believe 1988 was the millennium celebration of the Christianization of the Slavs), and the Soviet era. The Nordic countries didn't have anything like the Soviet suppression of all religions. Heathen revival in the form of Ásatrú got a 20 year head start in Iceland, over Balto-Slavic religions. I hope they can take a cue from what Heathenry is doing to get traction and begin to flourish.

There's a movement afoot on social media, begun today Oct. 16 as a sort of anniversary, in which posts and tweets include #Asatru and link to anything to do with #Asatru. Maybe followers of Rodnovery could start the same movement.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Lithuanians are truly a tenacious group. Even the Lithuanian language is the least diverged from Proto-Indoeuropean and still preseves many of PIE's features. Don't mess with Lithuanians. ;)

Sees

Dragonslayer
I wouldn't group Lithuanians as Slavs. Similarities are there ofc.

I don't know really. Always see sources saying most Lithuanians are Slavs but not all...some others just say they aren't Slavs at all :confused:

To me it makes sense the Baltic countries are all some hybrid of Germanic, Finno-Ugric, and Slavic.