• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Sunday

InChrist

Free4ever
I find biblical prophecy to be amazing, providing prophetic details and future information that only God who is outside of our timeframe would know. Any thoughts?

“Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies at his first coming, but what many people don’t know is that Daniel chapter 9 provided the EXACT DAY the Messiah would be revealed on what we call Palm Sunday.

In Daniel 9:20-27, we are told that it would be 483 years—of Jewish 360-day years—from the command to rebuild Jerusalem to the coming of Messiah the Prince. In Nehemiah 2, Artexerxes gave Nehemiah permission to go and rebuild Jerusalem. Biblically we know exactly what year this was (Jewish month of Nisan of Artaxerxes’ 20th reigning year), and from historical Babylonian records we know this command was actually on March 14, 445 BC.

We find that 483 years later—to the exact day—brings us to April 6th, AD 32, the date of the triumphal entry! From Artexerxes’ command to rebuild, to the day of the triumphal entry was exactly 173,880 days.”

exchemist

Veteran Member
I find biblical prophecy to be amazing, providing prophetic details and future information that only God who is outside of our timeframe would know. Any thoughts?

“Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies at his first coming, but what many people don’t know is that Daniel chapter 9 provided the EXACT DAY the Messiah would be revealed on what we call Palm Sunday.

In Daniel 9:20-27, we are told that it would be 483 years—of Jewish 360-day years—from the command to rebuild Jerusalem to the coming of Messiah the Prince. In Nehemiah 2, Artexerxes gave Nehemiah permission to go and rebuild Jerusalem. Biblically we know exactly what year this was (Jewish month of Nisan of Artaxerxes’ 20th reigning year), and from historical Babylonian records we know this command was actually on March 14, 445 BC.

We find that 483 years later—to the exact day—brings us to April 6th, AD 32, the date of the triumphal entry! From Artexerxes’ command to rebuild, to the day of the triumphal entry was exactly 173,880 days.”

I am less than amazed. Since the NT writers were keen to demonstrate that Jesus was the Messiah, it is only to be expected that the narrative would try to align itself so as to claim prophecies were fulfilled. They may well have been, but if they were not quite it wouldn't be surprising if a bit of "stretching" went on to improve the "fit".

But I find Palm Sunday quite moving. I had the job yesterday of narrating the Passion at mass. (I always tend to think of the German, as I know Bach's St. Matthew Passion so well.) I find Peter's denial always chokes me up a bit - his weakness is so human, even if his heart is in the right place.

InChrist

Free4ever
I am less than amazed. Since the NT writers were keen to demonstrate that Jesus was the Messiah, it is only to be expected that the narrative would try to align itself so as to claim prophecies were fulfilled. They may well have been, but if they were not quite it wouldn't be surprising if a bit of "stretching" went on to improve the "fit".

But I find Palm Sunday quite moving. I had the job yesterday of narrating the Passion at mass. (I always tend to think of the German, as I know Bach's St. Matthew Passion so well.) I find Peter's denial always chokes me up a bit - his weakness is so human, even if his heart is in the right place.
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it, though I do think it’d be a pretty impossible stretch to “fit” Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem to the precise day of the OT prophecy.

I also appreciate the account of Peter’s denial, especially in Luke…

Immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So Peter went out and wept bitterly.
Luke 22:60-62

I don’t doubt the look in Jesus’ eyes toward Peter was full of love and forgiveness.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it, though I do think it’d be a pretty impossible stretch to “fit” Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem to the precise day of the OT prophecy.

I also appreciate the account of Peter’s denial, especially in Luke…

Immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So Peter went out and wept bitterly.
Luke 22:60-62

I don’t doubt the look in Jesus’ eyes toward Peter was full of love and forgiveness.
Somehow I just knew you Americans wouldn't be able to cope with the cock crowing. :rolleyes: