• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oxford Speaks

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

The word “populism” has changed between Obama and today. I agree that the problem is elitists without a heart.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I ran across this in the news.
It might be what you want to address.

I didn't really want to watch a video this early on a Sunday morning either, so thanks for posting the article. I found this part interesting:

"My point, though, is that all political movements are susceptible to violence and, indeed, insurrection," Marshall said. "Populism is not a threat to democracy. Populism is democracy. And why else have universal suffrage if not to keep elites in check?"

Marshall said he was "rather surprised" that Pelosi was arguing in favor of the motion as he thought "the left was supposed to be anti-elite" and that the "left was supposed to be anti-establishment."

"Today, particularly in America, the globalist left have become the establishment," he continued. "I suppose for Mrs. Pelosi to have taken this side of the argument, she'd be arguing herself out of a job.

Marshall went on to claim that "populism is the voice of the voiceless" and that the "real threat to democracy is from the elites."

Marshall raises an excellent point here: The left is supposed to be anti-elite and anti-establishment. But they're not, and they haven't been for decades.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Populism" is usually just a term used to refer to the zeitgeist of a horde of ignoramuses. When the common rabble are feeling abused, because they are being abused, they tend to lash out in some stupid and completely ineffectual way at some random "enemy" that does themselves more harm than good.

That's "populism".

And it'll be the rabble's abusers that are championing it most, because that way they can make sure it's being directed at someone other than themselves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's a common problem on RF.
A poster watches a video they really like.
So they post it without any link to a written
form, or any useful personal commentary,
or considering that it could be a waste of
time for other members.
And then, they chortle about their debate
victory over posters who won't watch it.
Essentially....
"I win cuz you won't watch my video!"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

giphy-downsized-large.gif

PureX

Veteran Member
time for other members.
Essentially....
Yes, but on the other hand, there are also people that will not watch any video or read any post that they suspect might contradict their current point of view. I know I won't if I see red flag words in the title like "woke" or "the Biden crime family" in the title, or in the comments.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, but on the other hand, there are also people that will not watch any video or read any post that they suspect might contradict their current point of view. I know I won't if I see red flag words in the title like "woke" or "the Biden crime family" in the title, or in the comments.
OK.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I ran across this in the news.
It might be what you want to address.
Thank you for doing the OPs work and informing us what it's actually about.
I think, anyways. How good can a video really be if it didn't even move the OP enough to sum it up for people so we know what we're watching?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The video was 14 minutes in length. I suspect many here spent more time than that saying why they didn't want to watch it.

I started it, got captured and watched it to the end. It's actually very interesting and could spark a discussion. Try it, but ignore the part where he talks to Nancy Pelosi, which I think was why it got into the news. I'm not saying I agree with everything he said, but I'm still thinking about it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Populism" is usually just a term used to refer to the zeitgeist of a horde of ignoramuses. When the common rabble are feeling abused, because they are being abused, they tend to lash out in some stupid and completely ineffectual way at some random "enemy" that does themselves more harm than good.

That's "populism".

And it'll be the rabble's abusers that are championing it most, because that way they can make sure it's being directed at someone other than themselves.
The French Revolution? The idea that god ordained the social classes and people must stay put is something else that must lose its head? Populism.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Watching is the passive means of taking in information. It works the brain like watching TV works the body.
No. For others it's just as informative and practical.

Just because it dosent work for you means others can't go that route with the same benefit.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
time for other members.
Essentially....
Dear god I've watched it, at least as far as the elites trying to stop brexit. It's like a video of an Italian. What a small woodland bird. His podcasts include interviews with Candace Owens, Laurence Fox and Jordan Peterson. Although it's nice to see that Winston Aubrey Aladar de Balkan Marshall (born in London, to Sir Paul Marshall, a British tycoon who is the co-owner of GB News and Sabina de Balkany, from a genteel European Jewish family) is opposed to elitism.
- Winston Marshall - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Thank you for doing the OPs work and informing us what it's actually about.
I think, anyways. How good can a video really be if it didn't even move the OP enough to sum it up for people so we know what we're watching?
One of the points is that the word “Populism” was used by Obama to describe Bernie Sanders and how it changed over the years to mean something totally different. That populism is simply the voice of the people that the left tries to silence.

And how the leftist leaders (not rank and file) have become elitists (through multiple examples) and actually are anti-democratic.

PureX

Veteran Member
One of the points is that the word “Populism” was used by Obama to describe Bernie Sanders and how it changed over the years to mean something totally different. That populism is simply the voice of the people that the left tries to silence.

And how the leftist leaders (not rank and file) have become elitists (through multiple examples) and actually are anti-democratic.
Populism is not left or right. It's both.