• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occam's Shave Cream and the Doctrine of Astrology

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No. I haven't a clue what it might mean either.

Still, given that we seem to have folks willing to rail against the doctrine of evolution while bravely staking out a position in the ever popular scientism versus astrology debate, I figured that they might enjoy opining on something equally dumb. Carry on ...

exchemist

Veteran Member
It...it...means that you should only shave when the planets align?
Surely Ockham's shaving cream would be that which lubricates his Razor, wouldn't it? So it would be something that eases the identification of elements that are redundant in a hypothesis (the razor itself being: entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate, or words to that effect). Something to do with the ability to analyse and simplify to essentials?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Still, given that we seem to have folks willing to rail against the doctrine of evolution while bravely staking out a position in the ever popular scientism versus astrology debate, I figured that they might enjoy opining on something equally dumb. Carry on ...
It sounds appropriately Postmodern...:eek:
;)

JIMMY12345

Occams Razor in Science is the simplest explanation is the most probable.
So if the stars say you will win $20,0000000000000 or $2 you know which one to pick.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Occams Razor in Science is the simplest explanation is the most probable.
So if the stars say you will win $20,0000000000000 or $2 you know which one to pick.
But it has to be the most parsimonious explanation that is fully consistent with the observations. If it were just the simplest, relativity and quantum theory would never have been adopted.