• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obtuse

Tmac

"How can you be so obtuse?" is a quote from the movie, "Shawshank Redemption" and I find myself asking the same question when I read some of the responses to my post as well as to some of the post I read that interest me, it almost looks as if they are delibertly trying to misunderstand or muddy the water.
On the other hand, the TV show American Idol made me aware that there are people so disillusioned about themselves and the talent they possess that they actually get indignant when they sing before someone that will evaluate their talent and they get a negative response. I've seen genuine anger and heartbreak and I think what kind of network, in which this individual lived, would allow this to happen.
So when I run into what I think to be an obtuse answer/response I must decide into which catagory is the poster coming from and I will respond accordingly, be it in writing or just a mental note.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
"How can you be so obtuse?" is a quote from the movie, "Shawshank Redemption" and I find myself asking the same question when I read some of the responses to my post as well as to some of the post I read that interest me, it almost looks as if they are delibertly trying to misunderstand or muddy the water.
On the other hand, the TV show American Idol made me aware that there are people so disillusioned about themselves and the talent they possess that they actually get indignant when they sing before someone that will evaluate their talent and they get a negative response. I've seen genuine anger and heartbreak and I think what kind of network, in which this individual lived, would allow this to happen.
So when I run into what I think to be an obtuse answer/response I must decide into which catagory is the poster coming from and I will respond accordingly, be it in writing or just a mental note.

What do you wish to debate here?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is wise to do less assuming about other people's posts and practice more active listening. What you interpret as "obtuse" could be:
  • English is not the writer's first language
  • The writer or reader have poor written communication skills and/or reading comprehension
  • The reader does not agree with the writer's perspective
  • The writer or reader lack the background to understand what is being said
And there are probably others I am missing. Point is, communication is a two-way street and involves a pretty diverse skill set that we typically are not operating on the same level with. So before making assumptions about someone else's character, maybe remember the nature of communication first, eh?

Tmac

It is wise to do less assuming about other people's posts and practice more active listening. What you interpret as "obtuse" could be:
  • The writer or reader have poor written communication skills and/or reading comprehension
And there are probably others I am missing. Point is, communication is a two-way street and involves a pretty diverse skill set that we typically are not operating on the same level with. So before making assumptions about someone else's character, maybe remember the nature of communication first, eh?

You see, I thought I said all that in my post and yet you couldn't see that; its funny that you don't mention those that deliberately try to be obtuse?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You see, I thought I said all that in my post and yet you couldn't see that; its funny that you don't mention those that deliberately try to be obtuse?

*sigh*

Thanks for demonstrating my points, I guess.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Considering some of your responses I believe some self reflection is in order. The reality is a two way street.

Tmac

What do you wish to debate here?

The first thought that comes to mind is motive, there are those that at are so comfortable in their position that they either never have or don't question it any more proclaiming that life beyond their personal experience is irrelevant. Are they right, I think its time to find out. (In keeping with the Anti-Christ thread, nothing is sacred) You see there are religious fanatics and then there are those that oppose them, I belong to a group that is tired of these people and the war they've waged and the influence its had in my life. Its come to where I want to say, put up or shut up, show me what value you bring to life?

Tmac

Considering some of your responses I believe some self reflection is in order. The reality is a two way street.

Never said it wasn't but are you here just to show me what you know? That's cool, if that's the case.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Never said it wasn't but are you here just to show me what you know? That's cool, if that's the case.

No, I am here to show what I do not know. The original wording of your original post was a bite one sided as if it is the problem was with others.

Last edited:

Tmac

No, I am here to show what I do not know. The original wording of your original post was a bite one sided as if it is the problem was with others.

We tend to take things personal for some reason, do you think its is true to say that if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

I would like to be considered in both categories please.

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps, like those "singers" on American Idol, you just aren't very good at making your point clear. Which is why others interpret what you write in an 'obtuse' way.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think part of the problem is that all too many folks are not terribly skilled communicators and tend to rely on nuanced meanings for words that have fairly straight forward connotations. That some would want clarification as to what a poster is actually meaning is to be expected in light of this feature of sloppy communication.

What I mean here, *giggles*, is that one will write an idea, knowing full well what they mean, in terms they understand. The downside is that others may not understand the terms as stated or in the way that is being conveyed due to limitations of verbal dexterity that vary from individual to individual.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is a remarkable sequence.

do you think its is true to say that if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem?

According to Steven Wright, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."

Tmac

I think part of the problem is that all too many folks are not terribly skilled communicators and tend to rely on nuanced meanings for words that have fairly straight forward connotations. That some would want clarification as to what a poster is actually meaning is to be expected in light of this feature of sloppy communication.

What I mean here, *giggles*, is that one will write an idea, knowing full well what they mean, in terms they understand. The downside is that others may not understand the terms as stated or in the way that is being conveyed due to limitations of verbal dexterity that vary from individual to individual.

But the purpose for communication is to whittle down the misunderstandings, not to react to words that manipulate. Unless of course one can't help themselves. We're only going to get better at it (communication) by practicing and unfortunately making mistakes. You can't make an omelette without breaking an egg.