• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noticing space

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I've been playing around with this for a while, and would be interested in comparing notes with anyone else who has tried it. It's not a common practice and I haven't found anyone in my local sangha with experience of it.

It's something that Ajahn Sumedho has written about, and I've also heard Ajahn Brahm discuss it.
http://buddhaspace.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/ajahn-sumedho-on-noticing-space.html

This approach includes noticing space practically, for example the space in a room, but also the spaciousness of the mind - the two seem to be closely connected.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Interesting...is this technique somewhere mentioned in the buddhist texts that Sumedho just mentioned or is it like a new idea that Sumedho discovered?

Rick O'Shez

Interesting...is this technique somewhere mentioned in the buddhist texts that Sumedho just mentioned or is it like a new idea that Sumedho discovered?

My guess is that this practice has been around for a very long time, and that it probably isn't unique to Buddhism.

I don't recall this practice being specifically described in the suttas, though space is referred to as a property or element in a couple of suttas, eg: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html
Here space and consciousness are added to the usual four properties or elements, ie earth, wind, fire and water. "'A person has six properties.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? These are the six properties: the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, the wind property, the space property, the consciousness property. 'A person has six properties.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said."

The contemplation of the four elements is included in the first foundation of mindfulness ( satipatthana ), the body, so by extension one could add contemplation of space and consciousness.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't pretend to be doing what you are describing, but I've done something similar for many years. You start by shutting off the internal dialogue and "pushing" awareness outwards, further and further from where you are. This expansion is normally done spherically... so down into the ground as well, left, right, forward, backwards... It's like taking a giant snapshot of reality around you. Sort of.... Like everything else, I just found myself doing this quite naturally. I've never read of people doing anything quite like this.

Rick O'Shez

I don't pretend to be doing what you are describing, but I've done something similar for many years. You start by shutting off the internal dialogue and "pushing" awareness outwards, further and further from where you are. This expansion is normally done spherically... so down into the ground as well, left, right, forward, backwards... It's like taking a giant snapshot of reality around you. Sort of.... Like everything else, I just found myself doing this quite naturally. I've never read of people doing anything quite like this.

I do something similar, I find it easiest to do when there's a clear sky and then there is that sense of infinite space in all directions. You begin to realise that it is mostly space. ;)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've been playing around with this for a while, and would be interested in comparing notes with anyone else who has tried it. It's not a common practice and I haven't found anyone in my local sangha with experience of it.

It's something that Ajahn Sumedho has written about, and I've also heard Ajahn Brahm discuss it.

This approach includes noticing space practically, for example the space in a room, but also the spaciousness of the mind - the two seem to be closely connected.

Funny you should mention this. Just the other day I was contemplating the space surrounding me when I became aware of the space in my mind. They both seemed infinite and eternal while at the same time very close.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste , ...

interesting , ...It brings to mind two ways of thinking , ......

firstly as an artist one constantly observes objects in relation to space , there is contemplation involved , ...through observation and contemplation one can become aware of the objects constantly changing nature , its imperminance , ...one begins to become aware of the objects apparent solidity in contrast to the vacuous nature of space , ....here one sees the limited nature of the object and sences its imperminance and minuteness incomparison to the vast and unlimited nature of space .

as students we were taught to look at the space around an object , and incoraged to understand in the interest of composition , that space was equaly inportant as the object being focused upon , ....

later on as a Buddhist I came across the analogy often used as an aid to meditation amongst Tibetan traditions , ...explaining that ''Emotions are like clouds that mask the infinite nature of the Clear Blue Sky '', ...I have played with this thought for many years , sat with it in contemplation and taken it out into daily life , ...to me this encapsulates the entire of Budhist Practice in that everything we know and hold onto will pass whether we cling to it or not , so why cling to that which will pass that which dosent realy have permenance , in this way everything that passes becomes either something of beauty which should be appreciated and celebrated at that moment in time , ...or something of no value which can simply be dismissed , ....in this way one can enjoy that which is good and dissmiss that which is worthless , this is the joy of living int he moment that one sees on the faces of experienced practitioners , there is no clinging only realisation of the true nature of reality therefore boundless joy , ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namasate , ...

on reading the article this point of attraction or repulsion is worth reflecting upon , ....

''Usually we are dazzled, repelled or just bound by the thoughts and emotions; we go from one thing to another -- trying to get rid of them or reacting, controlling and manipulating them. So we never have any perspective in our lives, we just become obsessed with repression and indulgence; we are caught in those two extremes.''

Buddhism to me is very much about the attainment of the state Equanimity , ..in this state one becomes all knowing , ....the paragraph above clearly outlines the futility of attatchment and the role attatchment plays in our becoming stuck in a state of ignorance which is the cause of human suffering , ...

we close our minds to all external things beyond our comprehension , he touches on this earlier in the article talking about narrow minds , ...

if we are to gain a true perspective of reality we need to go beyond this tendancy to cling to what perpetuates this narrow veiw , ...we need to go beyond the 'Me' who is experiencing , the 'Me' who is defending its own position , ...as all this 'me' dose is ensnare it self in ignorance , ....

he says later that the idea of letting go can be ''another ego problem that you have created.'' .....thus the purpose of meditation becomes just observing , ....therefore if whilst in meditiation one can simply become aware of space one realises its all pervasive nature , ....that the seemingly seperate 'Me' is actualy pervaded by space and that when this 'Me' desolves all that is left is space , thus we trancend the mundane or material consciousness and become aware of what some describe as Buddha nature , the all pervasive consciousness that is the all knowingness of a Buddha .

on the subject of letting go , ...if we try to force it upon ourselves it wont happen , but if we gently contemplate what it is that we are holding on to ??? ....we are more likely to outgrow the narrow confines of 'Me' and become a little curious to look beyond .

Rick O'Shez

......here one sees the limited nature of the object and senses its impermanence and minuteness in comparison to the vast and unlimited nature of space .

Yes, I get a real sense of that sometimes. Infinite space with some little bits of form passing through. ;)

Rick O'Shez

....we are more likely to outgrow the narrow confines of 'Me' and become a little curious to look beyond .

Yes, and I think this practice is also about noticing how spacious the mind really is. The thoughts and feelings still come and go, but they arise in a larger space and so they appear smaller and less significant, less troublesome and easier to let go of.

Last edited by a moderator:

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
I think this is one of the best thread in these forums if you take a closer look at it...I could relate because it has so much common with internals of vedic teachings...For example Akasa or space has the property shabda (sound), likewise the author here says observe the sound of the silence(which he equates to space). Not to mention the link later posted by spiny has so much information.....Only 1 thing is he says 6th sense as consciousness but that is actually mind in my opinion and buddhism does not believe in a self as such....Consciousness equates to self in vedic teachings and mind is what that generates thoughts..all in all, this thread made me to take home good things from religiousforums.......I have posted mostly in hinduism dir but I have not learned much from it honestly...:)

von bek

Not to mention the link later posted by spiny has so much information.....Only 1 thing is he says 6th sense as consciousness but that is actually mind in my opinion and buddhism does not believe in a self as such....Consciousness equates to self in vedic teachings and mind is what that generates thoughts..all in all, this thread made me to take home good things from religiousforums.......I have posted mostly in hinduism dir but I have not learned much from it honestly...:)

I do not see in the link where consciousness is called the sixth sense. I may have missed it. At any rate, I agree with you that mind is the sixth sense. I suspect that Ajahn Sumedho does too, he may have worded it strangely. Consciousness, as taught by the Buddha, is merely another impermanent aggregate which has the function of awareness of sense objects. Mind is the sense base for apprehending mental sense objects. One issue at work here is that the Buddha primarily uses two systems for breaking beings down, one is by breaking them down into the five aggregates, the other is by breaking things down to sense bases and sense objects, along with the respective type of consciousness that arises from the contact of base and object. (e.g., eyes, visual object, and visual consciousness) Each system is true from its perspective, but each is using different terms to break a being down, mixing the two systems in one analysis could lead to some confusion.

buddhist

I don't recall this practice being specifically described in the suttas
Isn't the meditation on (infinite) space the first arupajhana, to be achieved after the four rupajhanas?

"There was the case where Sariputta — quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities — entered & remained in the first jhana ... Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, Sariputta entered & remained in the second jhana ... Furthermore, with the fading of rapture, Sariputta — remaining in equanimity, mindful & alert, and physically sensitive to pleasure — entered & remained in the third jhana ... Furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure & stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — Sariputta entered & remained in the fourth jhana ... Furthermore, with the complete transcending of perceptions of physical form, with the disappearance of perceptions of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, perceiving, 'Infinite space,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of space. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of space — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him." MN 111

Osal

I've been playing around with this for a while, <snip>[/QUOTE

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche included the subject of space and spaciousness in many of his teaching. In one teaching I read, he talked about how suffering results from our clinging to not accepting space alone and trying to fill that space, when we should simply rest in the natural spaciousness of our mind. Many teachers in the Kagyu and Nyingma lineages teach similarly.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Straw Dog

Not sure that my practice is quite the same. I do notice spaciousness during sitting and walking meditation, but I also appreciate material objects within the field of play. This may make me a very lousy Buddhist, but I feel that it is more genuine to appreciate objects in addition to space. I realize the emptiness of all objects... But we're using relatively advanced computers right now and it seems inauthentic to act all holier-than-thou, like we're so above material objects even though we rely heavily upon them. It's a subtle form of transcendental egojitsu. Does anyone else catch my drift?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

One of my favorite quips.

"No room is empty if the mind is full."