• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure what to read

Musty

Hi all,

I've been getting into secular Buddhism recently but am a bit overwhelmed but the volume of Buddhist literature and variety of traditions out there. I've learned a lot from the Secular Buddhist podcast done by this dude (The Secular Buddhist :: Home) but quickly feel out of my depth when they start referring to texts.

Can anyone recommend books they found useful when starting out? Ideally I'd like to be able to skip over the more supernatural aspects of Buddhism and focus on the practical side of the four noble truths and eightfold path and their subtleties.

Thanks

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Try and read some of Stephen Batchelor's books then.

And Susan Blackmore's as well, although she is officially not a Buddhist as of now.

And Thich Nhat Hanh.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Luis mentioned Stephen Batchelor, he had a hand in writing Buddhism for Dummies, which is a book I read early on. He also mentioned Thich Nhat Hanh, with him I'd go with Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. Both of these would be good starting points.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Some essential suttas:

Kalama Sutta, here with a short introduction with some supplementary texts.

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion -- Buddha's first discourse upon his awakening--explaining the middle way and the four noble truths.

Magga-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Path Buddha's discourse of the Eightfold Path.

Dhammapada

Some others:
Nibbedhika Sutta: Penetrative

The Four Sublime States
Contemplations on Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity
(Which can be found in verse 16 of the Kalama Suttta above labeled as the four exalted dwellings--first link I posted)

More available on request--don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. :)

Musty

Thanks for the book suggestions and web links. Plenty to keep me busy

Last edited:

Musty

Magog - Got it booked marked. Will read through the stuff on there. The Theravada tradition seems to come up often when secular Buddhism is discussed so looks like a good place to start.

Dyanaprajna2011 - Also book marked that one. Had a quick look at the ebook library. Can download those onto my Kindle which is handy.