• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nomophobia

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You are a special person,for your own safety keep your mobile always with you please, you can never know when they will decide to harm you.
Who is "they?" I went until I was almost 20 without one, and I've spend my entire adult life typically leaving it at home. If I was worried about potential risks and harm, I would drive because that is a very dangerous thing to do, especially in the winter.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I've been pretty much mobile phone free for my whole life, only have a dumbphone (Nokia) in case of an emergency and never used it, so I don't get why people are so obcessed with them. Then again, I'm very introverted and hate "social" media. Yes I put that into quotes because a lot of people are being anti-social looking at their phones when you want to spend time with them. It's a huge peeve of mine. It won't hurt to not look at it for a few hours or *gasp* a few days. You use up hours of your life to spend with this person, because you love and care about them, and all they can think about is to look at their phone? I don't know, it's sort of insulting to me. If you want to be social, how about actually paying attention to the people around you?

Anyway, this sort of craziness is not surprising. I'm sure there's people who do have a phobia of not having their phone.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then again, I'm very introverted and hate "social" media. Yes I put that into quotes because a lot of people are being anti-social looking at their phones when you want to spend time with them. It's a huge peeve of mine.
What I don't get is when, in a group, some of the people in that group text back and forth, sharing things they obviously don't want to share with the group.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
What I don't get is when, in a group, some of the people in that group text back and forth, sharing things they obviously don't want to share with the group.

Can't say that's ever happened to me but that's because I don't have much of a group... I have 2 friends. But I'd hate it if it happened. Sounds like talking behind people's backs except it's done right in your face.

AnnaCzereda

Oh I love my new smartphone, perhaps because I never had one. I've just got one recently with quite decent internet access. I don't think I'm addicted to it. I don't spend that much time online. I can understand why people can be anxious when they don't have their phones with them. What I don't understand is burying your head in the phone when you are in some nice scenery, instead of admiring the surroundings, or looking at your phone when you walk down the street (could be dangerous), or being pre-occupied with your phone while being with friends (it's just rude).

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I don't like much of what mobile phones do, but I gotta be honest, it has its good points. Family ties in my community is not just strong, it is very tight that any family members don't hesitate to call one another for help. When my home burned last month my sister called me, when my uncle had a heart stroke my cousin called me, when my aunt's husband had meningitis my cousin called... mobile phones help in this so I can be notified when I'm away.

I guess it is how we decide to use it. I don't have internet on my phone (just sometimes I connect with wifi), no what's app, no texting like a maniac, no hours of aimlessly talking, I don't answer when I'm with my family, I prioritize real life conversations... I call for take aways :D

Laika

Premium Member
I've actually turned my phone off for a few days and just left it in a bowl full of junk with the phone charger, bluetack, an old penny, a pine cone, pair of headphones, etc. It's actually the first stretch where I've done it as the only time my phone has ever been off is when I got to the Dentists. Basically, I don't like having my phone on me that much; the feeling that someone is about the ring makes it feel like a ball and chain. There is only one person who ever rings me (and I've arranged to catch up with him in a few weeks). So I'm phone free for a bit. (I did take it out with me because I needed the calculator for the weekly groceries though).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People are no longer comfortable alone with their own thoughts. I see them constantly online with games and social media. Access devices are becoming wearable. Neural implants are already in use for the deaf, for epilepsy and Parkinsonism.
How long before we're all assimilated into The Collective?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
People are no longer comfortable alone with their own thoughts. I see them constantly online with games and social media. Access devices are becoming wearable. Neural implants are already in use for the deaf, for epilepsy and Parkinsonism.
How long before we're all assimilated into The Collective?
I see a possible step in our future evolution involving neural implants and nano machines that link us all together.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Autonomy is a bit mythical; private thoughts don't arise sui generis, they are a product of our communications with others.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I hate my smartphone. I want my dumb phone back.
It does a zillion different things, but sucks as a phone.

Oh, GODS, yes! I don't have a smartphone, but talking on the phone with people who do is even MORE of a stresser than it normally is (I hate hate HATE talking on the phone), because I can barely understand them under IDEAL conditions!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Though, really... wouldn't it be accurate to say that we all are some degree of "phobic" of losing the tools we basically take for granted in our lives? I kinda suspect this always happens whenever a new tool gets enough widespread use that a culture can barely remember, or even conceive of, a time without it.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Who is "they?" I went until I was almost 20 without one, and I've spend my entire adult life typically leaving it at home. If I was worried about potential risks and harm, I would drive because that is a very dangerous thing to do, especially in the winter.
They are the trans phobics. Have you ever talked about these things with your consultant? The last thing I would like to hear about is that someone will attempt to hurt you for what you are.Of course mine is just an advice.