• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No to Fake Meat

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I expect this is more likely to be protecting the campaign donations from a few exceptionally wealthy farmers.

Unfortunately the candidate who spends the most money usually wins. Not always but often enough that the generation of capital is a necessary part of any campaign strategy.

Making enough money to make sure your vote counts.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Republican: I am in favour of free markets, which drive innovation and improve our world!
Scientists: We have developed a new alternative to farm-grown meat that is significantly better for the environment.
Republican: This will negatively affect farmers. BAN IT!

These jokers can't even pretend to believe what they claim to believe anymore.

InChrist

Free4ever
Seems obviously protectionism for the cattle industry.
I can understand I guess the desire to protect a part of the economy.
However seems to me like trying to protect the horse and buggy industry from the automobile.
Sounds like a wise move to me; protectionism for human health.
I’m no fan of industrial farming or animal feedlots and it would be good to see these phased out for regenerative farming instead. But I don’t think lab grown fake meat is the answer. It’s full of highly processed ingredients which are not fit for human consumption and are detrimental to health.

“They’re not even equivalent to whole plant foods. As noted by Tortorich:

“Here’s the crazy part of all these fake meats. They’re not really made from vegetables. They’re made from monocultured crops … They’re made from starches, fake proteins and seed oils.”
“Plant-based” meat alternatives don’t contain the same amino acids, and they’re not as digestible as meat protein, so meeting your protein requirements for muscle maintenance and everything else could be a challenge.

Instead, fake meats contain novel proteins that no one fully understands yet. For example, the ingredient in Impossible Burger’s meat that makes it taste like meat is genetically engineered soy leghemoglobin, for which there are no long-term health studies.”

Besides, the process of producing these products is not beneficial for the environment at all.

“Meanwhile, Impossible Foods' soy-based fake meat is still a carbon emitter. While grass fed beef has a net carbon sink of 3.5 kg per kg of fresh meat, conventional soybeans produce 2 kg of carbon emissions for each kg of food, and pea protein (which Beyond Burger uses for its meat substitute) produces 4 kg of carbon for every kg of food.17

So, how can fake meat be considered more environmentally sound than regenerative farming? In addition to still being a carbon emitter, GMO soy does nothing to regenerate and build soils, nothing to protect our insect and wildlife population, nothing to increase plant diversity and nothing to improve human health of consumers.

On the contrary, corn and soy, both conventional and GMO, are rapidly eliminating grasslands and prairies across the U.S. as they’re converted into monocrop farm fields, and this may be one of the worst environmental impacts of all, as prairies help retain water and sequesters carbon in the soil.”

Excerpts from:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I’m no fan of industrial farming or animal feedlots and it would be good to see these phased out for regenerative farming instead. But I don’t think lab grown fake meat is the answer.
The ban isn't on "fake meat" as in "plant-made meat substitutes". It's on lab grown (i.e: cultured) meat.

It is every bit as "real" as the meat you get currently, it just doesn't come from a living animal. It's reproduced from animal cells, not plants.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
However seems to me like trying to protect the horse and buggy industry from the automobile.
Too late to change the title? - it's about lab-grown meats, not plant-based alternatives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I’m no fan of industrial farming or animal feedlots and it would be good to see these phased out for regenerative farming instead. But I don’t think lab grown fake meat is the answer. It’s full of highly processed ingredients which are not fit for human consumption and are detrimental to health.

“They’re not even equivalent to whole plant foods. As noted by Tortorich:

“Plant-based” meat alternatives don’t contain the same amino acids, and they’re not as digestible as meat protein, so meeting your protein requirements for muscle maintenance and everything else could be a challenge.

Instead, fake meats contain novel proteins that no one fully understands yet. For example, the ingredient in Impossible Burger’s meat that makes it taste like meat is genetically engineered soy leghemoglobin, for which there are no long-term health studies.”

Besides, the process of producing these products is not beneficial for the environment at all.

“Meanwhile, Impossible Foods' soy-based fake meat is still a carbon emitter. While grass fed beef has a net carbon sink of 3.5 kg per kg of fresh meat, conventional soybeans produce 2 kg of carbon emissions for each kg of food, and pea protein (which Beyond Burger uses for its meat substitute) produces 4 kg of carbon for every kg of food.17

So, how can fake meat be considered more environmentally sound than regenerative farming? In addition to still being a carbon emitter, GMO soy does nothing to regenerate and build soils, nothing to protect our insect and wildlife population, nothing to increase plant diversity and nothing to improve human health of consumers.

On the contrary, corn and soy, both conventional and GMO, are rapidly eliminating grasslands and prairies across the U.S. as they’re converted into monocrop farm fields, and this may be one of the worst environmental impacts of all, as prairies help retain water and sequesters carbon in the soil.”

Excerpts from:
This isn't veggie burgers but lab cultivated meat grown from animal cells. Meat that's sort if a meat clone, if I understand correctly.

InChrist

Free4ever
The ban isn't on "fake meat" as in "plant-made meat substitutes". It's on lab grown (i.e: cultured) meat.

It is every bit as "real" as the meat you get currently, it just doesn't come from a living animal. It's reproduced from animal cells, not plants.
Okay, my mistake; cultured lab meat , not plant based meat replacement.
Nevertheless, I don’t think it’s a healthy alternative when it’s produced in a lab and requires various serums, additives, as well as being highly processed. Not to mention the reality that a product like this, if it becomes a wide replaceable for meat, just give corporate entities further monopolized control over the food system.
I get local, regeneratively raised meat from a small farmer; definitely not the same and certainly healthier.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Okay, my mistake; cultured lab meat , not plant based meat replacement.
Nevertheless, I don’t think it’s a healthy alternative when it’s produced in a lab and requires various serums, additives, as well as being highly processed.
I understand your hesitance, but current evidence suggest it's no less healthy than farm-grown meat - and it's not like the meat you can find on supermarket shelves already isn't subject to all of those things, too. And yet, there is no call to ban them.

Not to mention the reality that a product like this, if it becomes a wide replaceable for meat, just give corporate entities further monopolized control over the food system.
I also don't like that, but that's a problem with capitalism, not cultured meat. We already have monopolies. What we don't have is environmentally friendly and sustainable farming.

I get local, regeneratively raised meat from a small farmer; definitely not the same and certainly healthier.
Sure, but the vast majority of Americans have to rely on cheaper, less healthy options based on availability and income. You simply can't feed the entire population a country like America with small, local producers. You need some degree of industrialised practice. What cultured meat at the very least allows is for that industrialised process to at least take significantly less land, cause less harm, be far more productive and take significantly less labour.

Of course, this all rests on cultured meat being able to consistently produce a product of equatable quality to farm-grown meat, and for a similar price. This is currently a bit far on the horizon to judge.

Ignatius A

its funny how leftists act when they dont get their way.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm hoping lab-grown meat becomes mainstream so I can sell my
1716582039610.png

idea to MacDonald's.