• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my dad is a muslim and my mom is a christian, what faith should follow?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Thanks, but that's the point i can't choose one over the other. i find each of them very compeling and truthful. I wish i could abandon one. I guess I will start my own denomination which both praise Mohammed and Jesus. I know this sound ridiculous and absurd but it is the last resort am going to do. Thanks Luminous.
you mean Islam? Islam praises Jesus.
and if you mean Praises jesus as the son of God, you might try Baha'iism (ithink). i guess its best to have your own relgion. But we were talking about where to get married right? ask you parents, and your wife. if your mom will never step in a mosque and your dad will never step in a Church, and your wife doesn't care; than have your wedding in a beutiful secular building or something. and perform both rituals. its your choice, i don't see how doing that will hurt.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Although I don't believe that God belongs to any religion, per se, I would have to agree with your answer that when we want to know the answers to questions such as this one, the best way to find out is to ask God, and to have an open mind with regards to His answer.
yes :p Agnostic-Quakerism. LOLs for my satire: I am now converted.
that doesn't seam to be what he has in mind though. he doesn't want to ask god to chose one for him, his faith tell them they are both just as good. he should ask his parents which they wouldnt mind to attend or maybe have both, or neither. but it looks like he already decided.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Response: There are many similarities in both christianity and islam. However, the question you should be asking is which is the religion of God. Is it christianity? Is it islam? Is it neither and there is another religion which is that you have yet to fully consider? The approach I would recommend is for you to participate in both the christian forums as well as islam, and ask the necessary questions you need in helping you make your decision as to which is the religion of God. Ask with an opened mind, and you will be fine.

Good questions above^.

Jesus believed in only one religious way and that the Bible is religious truth (John 17:17). Jesus based his reasonings on Scripture as religious truth that would set men free from all other beliefs, then it would stand to reason one can not be sitting on a religious fence, so to speak, but must choose.
No neutral religious ground according to Luke 11:23. Jesus preaching and teaching message did cause division of heart or decision of heart.-
Matthew 10:34-39.

Jesus saw the value of specific prayer (Luke 11:13 b) in looking for guidance.
And like the people of Acts 17:11 searched or researched the Scriptures daily to see whether things were so.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend SG2009,

am not confuse about faith in the creator but rather in what religious institution (mosque or church) to go to. Please advise

Personally do not follow any organised religion for the same reason as they never talk about the similarities between other religions but try and bring out the differences.
Here at RF! too many cry wolf stating *I know you are saying this because I am a .....*
We are just another species labelled *humans* which are part of the same energy in various forms and no-forms and have to return to the very source we are part off.

Personally follow a PATHLESS PATH, just as a BEING!
We are born FREE, to make our choices and so just exercising the same.

You may decide whatever you feel best for you and your family and love of humanity.

Love & rgds

Love & rgds

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
In the end there will be only one truth. With your background perhaps you should try and experience Buddhism, expanding your understanding further. Perhaps you should become an intermediary in the middle east peace process, as the waring evidence suggests neither christianity or islam are the correct course.

Otherwise ignore both get a life and become and atheist like me.

Cheers

SG2009

Response: There are many similarities in both christianity and islam. However, the question you should be asking is which is the religion of God. Is it christianity? Is it islam? Is it neither and there is another religion which is that you have yet to fully consider? The approach I would recommend is for you to participate in both the christian forums as well as islam, and ask the necessary questions you need in helping you make your decision as to which is the religion of God. Ask with an opened mind, and you will be fine.

Thanks. i will do as you said. Thanks

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Ok friends, as the titles says, my dad is a muslim and mom is a christian, after their divorce, i literally grow between two separate houses, and always caught between two religion, islam and christianity.Now am grown man, atimes i don't know which religion to fellow because I understood diffrence and similarities between each of them.My question is am about to start my own family, and i need to get wed in religious way but am confused what institution to ffollow. Caveat: am not confuse about faith in the creator but rather in what religious institution (mosque or church) to go to. Please advise

Do you have to have one? Belief in God does not require a congregation.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
it does, if you are muslim, you can;t go to church for worshippin , can you? likewise, if you are christian, you can;t go to mosque for sermon, right?

You can believe in God without being part of a certain congregation.

Why choose one of those religions? Why not something else?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This is what I have read before or stuff similar to it. The bottom line is that it should be avoided whenever possible.

(A general comment and not directed at Eselam)

That being said, I am not sure how one can balance the role of Jesus as his role is dramatically different is Islam and Christianity. In Islam, Christ is a great prophet, second only to Muhammad; whereas in Christianity the majority view is that Christ is the son of god or god himself. I do not see any way to reconcile this core problem.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
This is what I have read before or stuff similar to it. The bottom line is that it should be avoided whenever possible.

yes correct, but it is still permissible on the condition that there are no images or idols or what not in the area (direction) that we pray.

That being said, I am not sure how one can balance the role of Jesus as his role is dramatically different is Islam and Christianity. In Islam, Christ is a great prophet, second only to Muhammad; whereas in Christianity the majority view is that Christ is the son of god or god himself. I do not see any way to reconcile this core problem.

is this your comment to the OP?

the first problem that needs to be solved in my oppinion is whether Jesus (as) is the son of god or is he God as beleived by many christians. once that is established then you'd get a new starting point in trying to reconcile islam and christianity.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
the first problem that needs to be solved in my oppinion is whether Jesus (as) is the son of god or is he God as beleived by many christians. once that is established then you'd get a new starting point in trying to reconcile islam and christianity.
So, in other words, there isn't the slightest chance of reconciliation over this point. I rest my case.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Christendom is comprised of many so-called Christians. (In name only)

Since Scripture says Jesus has a God (not only while he was still on earth - John 20:17), but even after he was resurrected to heaven (Rev 3:12),
and in heaven Jesus still refers to himself as the Son of God (Rev 2:18),
then doesn't it stand to reason that Rev (3:14 B) is correct in stating that Jesus is the beginning of the creation by God?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Ok friends, as the titles says, my dad is a muslim and mom is a christian, after their divorce, i literally grow between two separate houses, and always caught between two religion, islam and christianity.Now am grown man, atimes i don't know which religion to fellow because I understood diffrence and similarities between each of them.My question is am about to start my own family, and i need to get wed in religious way but am confused what institution to ffollow. Caveat: am not confuse about faith in the creator but rather in what religious institution (mosque or church) to go to. Please advise

Sounds to me that you are fine either way you go (Christian or Muslim).
Is this correct, or am I missing something?

If this is a correct assumption, then it seems to me that you needs think long and hard about the one you intend to marry.
What religion is she? Are you really truly honestly ok with being the same religion as her? What are her specif beliefs? Are you ok with them?

IF you are not ok with her beliefs (I.E. she says full submersion baptism and you say sprinkle) then perhaps you needs work out a few details before you get married.

McBell

I disagree.
The first thing he needs to do is sort out exactly what he believes.
Then he needs to learn what his intended believes.
Then he has to figure out if what he believes and what she believes are in sync, or at the very least compatible.

But then, it is my understanding that this thread is about his relationship with his intended wife, not about which belief system is correct.

Did I miss something?

SG2009

Sounds to me that you are fine either way you go (Christian or Muslim).
Is this correct, or am I missing something?

If this is a correct assumption, then it seems to me that you needs think long and hard about the one you intend to marry.
What religion is she? Are you really truly honestly ok with being the same religion as her? What are her specif beliefs? Are you ok with them?

IF you are not ok with her beliefs (I.E. she says full submersion baptism and you say sprinkle) then perhaps you needs work out a few details before you get married.

You were correct, i have no problem with either faith, i also know the pros-and-cons in each religion too.The woman i intend to tie the knot with is christian, so i guess from your perspective, then i will better stick with christianity because she is. Thanks for passing by, i will think about this and hopefully to make a better decision.

McBell

You were correct, i have no problem with either faith, i also know the pros-and-cons in each religion too.The woman i intend to tie the knot with is christian, so i guess from your perspective, then i will better stick with christianity because she is. Thanks for passing by, i will think about this and hopefully to make a better decision.
Actually, I am saying that since it is not a real big issue with you either way, that you should find out what she believes and what you believe and make sure that you can live with each others beliefs the way they are, or at the very least be able/willing to compromise on the ones you differ on.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....and if I may add, ask in prayer, besides with an open mind, also with an open heart and try asking as Jesus suggested at Luke 11:13 B.

Smoke

Done here.
You're very fortunate that your parents have brought you up without attaching you to either religion exclusively. It would be a shame to throw that good fortune away and violate your own conscience by attaching yourself to one and repudiating the other.

Why not join a Unitarian-Universalist congregation, or some other congregation that will allow you to respect your double heritage and to believe and practice as much of both as you please?