• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims: Death for Apostasy?

Do you think death should be the punishment for Apostasy?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I personally disagree that most muslims would call for death as a punishment for apostasy. This being the case, I shall put it to a poll. You may answer the poll anonymously. Only muslims! Or else!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I personally disagree that most muslims would call for death as a punishment for apostasy. This being the case, I shall put it to a poll. You may answer the poll anonymously. Only muslims! Or else!
Why didn't you put this in the Islam DIR? I voted before I read your OP. You can negate one "no" vote. My apologies.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Thought this might help (Apostasy in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ردة‎ riddah or ارتداد irtidād') is commonly defined as the conscious abandonment of Islam by a Muslim in word or through deed.[1][2] It includes the act of converting to another religion (such as Christianity) by a person who was born in a Muslim family or who had previously accepted Islam.[3][4]

Apostasy in Islam includes in its scope not only former Muslims who have renounced Islam to join another religion or become non-religious, but Muslims who have questioned or denied any "fundamental tenet or creed" of Islam such as Sharia law, or who have mocked Allah, worshipped one or more idols, or knowingly believed in an interpretation of Sharia that is contrary to the consensus of ummah (Islamic community).[5][6] The term has also been used for people of religions that trace their origins to Islam, such as Bahá'ís in Iran, and Ahmadiyya Muslims in Pakistan and Indonesia.[7][8]

The definition of apostasy from Islam and its appropriate punishment are controversial, and they vary among Islamic scholars.[9] In Islam’s history, the vast majority of scholars have held that apostasy in Islam is a crime punishable with the death penalty, typically after a waiting period to allow the apostate time to repent and return to Islam.[10][11][12] Some contemporary Muslim scholars also hold the traditional view that the death penalty for apostasy is required by the two primary sources of Sharia - the Quran and the Hadiths - while others argue that the death penalty is an inappropriate punishment.[13][14] A majority considers apostasy in Islam to be some form of religious crime, although a small liberal minority does not[9][15][16] and some reject the use of the death penalty.[17][18][19]

Under current laws in Islamic countries, the actual punishment for the apostate (or murtadd مرتد) ranges from execution to prison term to no punishment.[20][21] Islamic nations with sharia courts use civil code to void the Muslim apostate’s marriage and deny child custody rights, as well as his or her inheritance rights for apostasy.[17][18][19] Twenty-three Muslim-majority countries, as of 2013, additionally covered apostasy in Islam through their criminal laws.[22]

According to critics, punishment for apostasy in Islam is a violation of universal human rights, and an issue of freedom of faith and conscience.[13][23]

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Things have a tendency to get targeted by the Delete Thread Fairy in DIR's...

Also, no worries!
Delete thread fairy?! That doesn't seem right. I tend to stick to the open thread areas, and I might just keep on doing that if threads are getting deleted at will. Not cool.

Unification

Thought this might help (Apostasy in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ردة‎ riddah or ارتداد irtidād') is commonly defined as the conscious abandonment of Islam by a Muslim in word or through deed.[1][2] It includes the act of converting to another religion (such as Christianity) by a person who was born in a Muslim family or who had previously accepted Islam.[3][4]

Apostasy in Islam includes in its scope not only former Muslims who have renounced Islam to join another religion or become non-religious, but Muslims who have questioned or denied any "fundamental tenet or creed" of Islam such as Sharia law, or who have mocked Allah, worshipped one or more idols, or knowingly believed in an interpretation of Sharia that is contrary to the consensus of ummah (Islamic community).[5][6] The term has also been used for people of religions that trace their origins to Islam, such as Bahá'ís in Iran, and Ahmadiyya Muslims in Pakistan and Indonesia.[7][8]

The definition of apostasy from Islam and its appropriate punishment are controversial, and they vary among Islamic scholars.[9] In Islam’s history, the vast majority of scholars have held that apostasy in Islam is a crime punishable with the death penalty, typically after a waiting period to allow the apostate time to repent and return to Islam.[10][11][12] Some contemporary Muslim scholars also hold the traditional view that the death penalty for apostasy is required by the two primary sources of Sharia - the Quran and the Hadiths - while others argue that the death penalty is an inappropriate punishment.[13][14] A majority considers apostasy in Islam to be some form of religious crime, although a small liberal minority does not[9][15][16] and some reject the use of the death penalty.[17][18][19]

Under current laws in Islamic countries, the actual punishment for the apostate (or murtadd مرتد) ranges from execution to prison term to no punishment.[20][21] Islamic nations with sharia courts use civil code to void the Muslim apostate’s marriage and deny child custody rights, as well as his or her inheritance rights for apostasy.[17][18][19] Twenty-three Muslim-majority countries, as of 2013, additionally covered apostasy in Islam through their criminal laws.[22]

According to critics, punishment for apostasy in Islam is a violation of universal human rights, and an issue of freedom of faith and conscience.[13][23]

It sounds like the apostate is the religion and not the individual. Would that mean that the religion should be put to death?