• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorizing scriptures: Mnemotechnics, loci method etc

vijeno

My story is classic: Always had a terrible memory, suffered a lot because I wanted to learn new things, learning is one of my biggest motivations, I love languages and find religions fascinating, but my poor memory stifled my progress. Greek mythology, just the names of the 12 Olympians were a challenge. Hebrew vocab. Ancient greek... all of it. Not to mention, song lyrics, which I love. It was all so frustrating.

So lately I delved into mnemonics, memory techniques. It was a result of my exploration of improvisational theater, of all things.

I got into a bit of a frenzy this week. I'm so thrilled! I used the "memory palace" technique (aka loci method) to memorize John 1 in about 2 days, maybe an hour each day. And that was my very first serious attempt at it... I wonder what the future has in store.

(I picked John 1 precisely because I find John to be a huge challenge, with all his relative clauses and abstractions. I wanted to start with something hard, as a proof of concept.)

All it took, was a bit of systematic training in free associations, the memory palace thing, and some dedication. It wasn't hard at all.

The only downside: A lot of the youtube videos on the topic are terribly clickbaity and want to sell you "free courses" and all that. I understand that they need to make money, but it makes me cringe and I find it very offputting.

Just for getting this started, here are the basics, the way I do it anyway:

The basic rule is: Make everything as simple as possible. Human beings already come with a good memory for places, which we developed over many thousands of years, so use this to your advantage. Also, make it as sensual as possible, as emotional as possible, as absurd and grotesque as possible, politically incorrect and gruesome and lovely and whatever. Whatever makes your heart race is better than whatever does not touch your emotions!

• Start with your own flat/house and other places that you know intimately. You can use any place you like, but the more familiar it is to you, the better.
  • Plan your route before you start! You want to have enough "stations" for each verse.
  • Take the time to draw a map. This will help you navigate the whole plan later on.
  • Try to avoid crossing your own path. Make the route as logical as you can. Make it as linear as possible.
  • Mark 5 spots in each room: One at the entrance door, plus 4 corners.
  • Move through the rooms in a specified order - that goes for the whole flat, but also for each room! (I do it clockwise.)
  • You CAN use "magnetic points" such as the sink or a chair that stands out to you - I don't, but that's just a personal preference. Again, it should be simple and obvious to you, not to anyone else.
  • Make vivid, 3d, LARGE moving images for a verse, and "store them" in the location associated with that point on the path.

E.g.: John 1:4 "In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

This is one corner of my bathroom, where the cat's litter box happens to be. So I imagine an embryo ("life"), all bloody and crying, exploding out of that box ("in him"), and turning into a nuclear explosion ("light") that throws cat poo and urine all around, stinky and disgusting.

(I actually didn't follow my own rule of ordering the stations very precisely, because it was my first attempt. And that is fine! Let the system develop.)

You'll still have to repeat them a few times, but it's not nearly as hard as rote memorization. Plus, it's fun!

If people want it, I'll post youtube links. But it's really just a question of searching for "memory palace".

Tamino

Wow, it's good to hear that you have been successful with this technique! Sounds like you made amazing progress!

I have experimented myself with these in my youth and it always proved helpful. But then, I have always had a good memory and skill at visualization, so it was pretty easy anyway. I can only imagine the challenge it must be if you start with what you describe as a poor memory for words and language

Today, I don't even use the strict loci method any more. I just visualize the text and its content very clearly and then walk through it while I recite. My greatest success so far has been a recital of the Irish myth of the Two Battles of Mag Tuired. The full recital takes 50 minutes.

And my aunt still likes to have me assist with the late evening service on Christmas Eve, even though I am a pagan now... Because I can recite Luke 2, 1-20 word by word, and somehow people are amazed I can remember half a page of text. :D ... They have no clue what the human mind can do with a bit of training...

vijeno

Wow, it's good to hear that you have been successful with this technique! Sounds like you made amazing progress!
Thanks! I am very very glad and thankful about it. It's such an improvement to my whole life!

I have always had a good memory and skill at visualization, so it was pretty easy anyway. I can only imagine the challenge it must be if you start with what you describe as a poor memory for words and language

The strangest thing: I always had a vivid imagination. And I tried a bit of memory improvement techniques back in college, in the 90s. I'm sure that loci method was in there, but it didn't stick... I think the missing piece was "use your own flat". And trust in the method... I just couldn't imagine that it might work, it all seemed too woo-woo and irrational, flashy magician-kind of stuff, from my 25yo perspective.

Well, and the self-identity thing. This is such a trap! "What can I do, I just have poor memory, that's how I am". Gnarf. Just not true, man!
And my aunt still likes to have me assist with the late evening service on Christmas Eve, even though I am a pagan now

Haha, yeah, my mother is a devout catholic and I will definitely impress her with some bible verses. Frankly, right now I'm in the state of the child in the sweet shop. "7 of cups" if you're into tarot. What will I learn next? Sooo many possibilities...
Today, I don't even use the strict loci method any more.
Yeah, I imagine I'll get there too. You have to be very "religious" and dogmatic about it at the start, but then you can relax about the rules.

Tamino

Well, and the self-identity thing. This is such a trap! "What can I do, I just have poor memory, that's how I am". Gnarf. Just not true, man!
Yes, it's horrible when those definitions restrict who you can be! Good of you to break those chains!
Frankly, right now I'm in the state of the child in the sweet shop. "7 of cups" if you're into tarot. What will I learn next? Sooo many possibilities...
Lol, funny that you mention it - the Tarot cards were one of the things I memorized for practice as a teen. 7 of cups fits. 3 of coins as well: having learned a useful level of skill, and the ability to build up from there
Yeah, I imagine I'll get there too. You have to be very "religious" and dogmatic about it at the start, but then you can relax about the rules.
Not so much relax, but adapt the rules to your personal style, I think

vijeno

Vedic chant - Wikipedia. Perhaps you may find it interesting.
Yeah, it's interesting how ancient texts often seem to be structured around memorization, because people often lacked the means to write them down.

I also find complex symbols such as the zodiac or the kabbalistic tree of life, or the chakras very interesting in that regard. They offer a "shorthand" for some common associations, which one can use for memory-palacing purposes. I wonder if that was part of the original intention, sometimes. Eg, the tree of life has the hebrew letters assigned to its paths, so you could spell out words that way.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not think Sanskrit has such words. Sanskrit words do have a plethora of meanings which the context shows.

Tamino

I forgot to ask - how did you adapt them?
Well, for example, I don't use one standard mental route an reuse it... Lime those examples with a way through your house, or the way to work. The older associations tended to linger and confuse me.

My route and loci is more like a camera in a film, panning across landscapes, moving through space, but also zooming in or switching into a new scene.
And when I am memorizing from a written text, I also see the printed text with its position on the page, kind of like subtitles on my mental movie.
When I recite, I just choose the film and mentally press start on my inner movie... and then follow along as it plays.