• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Math help

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Any advice on how to get better at math? If I had to guess I'm at like a third grade level at math. Which isnt good cuz I want to teach little kids and math is an important skill for young kids. I want to rise my understanding to at least a 5th grade level maybe even 8th if I am being amitious. tagging @Shadow Wolf since she helped me once with math

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Coursera might have some free courses for it.
Really the only way to gwt better at it is to do it. Sharpening your skills in logic will also help, as that's what math mostly is.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And though things like MyMathLab get a bad rep, you can keep messing up until you get it right, which is needed for math as you're learning a new process.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Any advice on how to get better at math? If I had to guess I'm at like a third grade level at math. Which isnt good cuz I want to teach little kids and math is an important skill for young kids. I want to rise my understanding to at least a 5th grade level maybe even 8th if I am being amitious. tagging @Shadow Wolf since she helped me once with math
Try Mathantics on YT. There are a ton of them on all aspects of math from arithmetic to algebra and
calculus.

I was shocked it was regarded as common core that I once derided.

I'm a complete convert now on math.

Like this one...

Also sing the Schoolhouse Rock songs as I thanked Lucky Seven Sampson for saving my life.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Try this self-paced math improvement web site,
Math | Khan Academy

Moreover practice more. Just doing more math practice exercises does help.

I taught Middle and High school math. If you need some more help let me know.
I rank Khan Academy teaching at around the B or B+ level only. It's wonderful that they've provided SO MUCH free training material to the world, and for many this might be the best teaching they can find. But I'm sure you can find better.

Heyo

Veteran Member
3rd grade, you say? That isn't even math, that's just calculation.
Most math programs on YT or other platforms assume at least 4th grade completion.
You should first test yourself were you really are. Lend a 4th grade calculation textbook and see if you can solve the questions.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Practice. It's like every other subject in that doing it makes you better.

Khan Academy is great. If a particular topic takes your fancy YouTube is loaded with lectures and tutorials. And there are free texts to be found all over the net.

Practice though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Other members have given some solid recommendations in this thread, both for study resources and methods of improvement. For the level you're seeking, I agree with the recommendation of Khan Academy. They have a lot of excellent tutorials, and I have found a considerable amount of their content quite useful even for university-level math.

Practice is a must if you want to get better at math. Every time you finish a chapter or a lesson on some mathematical topic or concept, try to find some exercises or solved examples. Also, don't feel discouraged if you make mistakes that you might think of as obvious in hindsight; that's a perfectly normal part of learning math (or anything, really).

Good luck! Feel free to ask if you have any questions along the way. I would be happy to help in any way I could.