• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Baptism

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Lakewood Church doesn't pay Joel Osteen - people are so quick to listen to negative propaganda and spread it.

Lakewood Church uses much of its money through its ministry helping people not only in Houston but around this country and around the world the difference is they don't advertise it they're not looking for the praise of man.
Thanks for saying so. It is interesting to hear. Yes, we are quick to listen to negative things, but in our defense a lot of negative things have happened with TV churches. It has become a sore spot.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
When Christians hardcore fail at tending to the splinter in their own eye before pointing out the beam in the eye of another, yes, I will delight in pointing out the hypocrisy.
But isn't that what you just did?

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm not under any order to give all my stuff away.

There is no order for everyone to give everything away
The wealth displayed makes it obvious.
Standard religious thinking that somehow "wealth" equals "wrong" while you do what you can to get more wealth. ;)

I think this is more about your personal views than anything else.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
Thanks for saying so. It is interesting to hear. Yes, we are quick to listen to negative things, but in our defense a lot of negative things have happened with TV churches. It has become a sore spot.
I don't think there is any area of profession that doesn't have negative things happening. Lawyers, doctors, politicians, business owners et al. all have negative experiences. Even marriages have negative things that happen.

Driving cars has negative experiences but we don't stop driving.

I think it is a matter of deciding to take responsibility for one's personal growth and thinking on the good things. Not taking offense is another option for those who are offended by the negative things that happen.

Kenny

Premium Member
How much wealth did Jesus and the Apostles have? ;)
Enough to supply needs and beyond--not just the 12 but probably the 70, give to the poor and have a treasurer and still have enough for a thief to put his hand into the till and nobody notice. :D

Do you think God was upset at the wealth of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David and Solomon et al? Or is it what you do with the abundant wealth that is important.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Enough to supply needs and beyond--not just the 12 but probably the 70, give to the poor and have a treasurer and still have enough for a thief to put his hand into the till and nobody notice. :D

Do you think God was upset at the wealth of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David and Solomon et al? Or is it what you do with the abundant wealth that is important.
According to Acts, the Apostles shared their possessions. And what did he tell the wealthy prince he needed to do? What did he say we needed to do according to what he said in his Sermon On the Mount?

IOW, Jesus invested in souls, not wealth.

BTW, I don't have to worry about being wealthy as I've been married for 56 years. :confused:

Kenny

Premium Member
According to Acts, the Apostles shared their possessions. And what did he tell the wealthy prince he needed to do? What did he say we needed to do according to what he said in his Sermon On the Mount?

IOW, Jesus invested in souls, not wealth.

BTW, I don't have to worry about being wealthy as I've been married for 56 years. :confused:

LOL.... I'm catching up to you... coming up at 49 but enjoying the wealth of "family".... priceless! More than rubies, diamonds, gold and silver.... but my wife still wants at 50 year diamond ring. :D

But wealth can be used to invest in souls and wealth creates more wealth to then invest in souls.

It's all in the heart.

If you covet wealth, it is a thorn... if you heart is generous...

Proverbs 11:24
There is one who scatters, yet increases more; And there is one who withholds more than is right, But it leads to poverty.

God has a way of prospering the generous.

Can I assume that somehow Peter's family was supplied for? I don't think Jesus would let them starve.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
LOL.... I'm catching up to you... coming up at 49 but enjoying the wealth of "family".... priceless! More than rubies, diamonds, gold and silver.... but my wife still wants at 50 year diamond ring. :D

But wealth can be used to invest in souls and wealth creates more wealth to then invest in souls.

It's all in the heart.

If you covet wealth, it is a thorn... if you heart is generous...

Proverbs 11:24
There is one who scatters, yet increases more; And there is one who withholds more than is right, But it leads to poverty.

Can I assume that somehow Peter's family was supplied for? I don't think Jesus would let them starve.
Generally speaking, I agree with you, but where the problem often comes in is that wealth often becomes the priority with so many. We all need some income to live on, but that should not be our priority even though surveys have shown that it is indeed the #1 priority here in the States. One candidate decades ago kept a sign in his headquarters that went "It's the economy, stupid!" and he won at least partially on that.

And note that I mention the "sharing" with Jesus and the Apostles in my last post, so a spinoff from this that does have both political and economic implications is which economic system is mostly based on this? Which kind of politicians and their priorities best reflect this? I don't want to deflect and turn this into a political-economic thread, so let me just say that I do believe that the general answers to my questions above should be quite obvious.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is no order for everyone to give everything away
Jesus orders his followers multiple times to use any wealth they have to help the poor amd give it to the poor.
Standard religious thinking that somehow "wealth" equals "wrong" while you do what you can to get more wealth. ;)

I think this is more about your personal views than anything else.
Jesus said it's wrong to have excessive wealth. It's like how he'd hate the Vatican for having and showing all the gawdiness and wealth. It's clear from the Bible he'd want all that sold off and the money given to the poor.
I think it is a matter of deciding to take responsibility for one's personal growth and thinking on the good things. Not taking offense is another option for those who are offended by the negative things that happen.
Jesus takes offense. I point out, laugh at and ridicule the hypocrisy of Christians. There's a difference. I'll just taunt Christians about seeing them in Hell. Jesus sends them there.
They weren't instructed by Jesus.

They lived communally and were utterly dependant upon the givings of others. They didn't starve, but they had nothing terms of material wealth. Jesus didn't like it and wouldn't have allowed it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there is any area of profession that doesn't have negative things happening. Lawyers, doctors, politicians, business owners et al. all have negative experiences. Even marriages have negative things that happen.

Driving cars has negative experiences but we don't stop driving.

I take responsibility both for my failures and for growth, and I also hold myself responsible for the poison and fire of my own tongue. Unlike so many on TV paid to talk endlessly.

Kenny

Premium Member
Jesus orders his followers multiple times to use any wealth they have to help the poor amd give it to the poor.

No... not "any wealth" is different from "all wealth" as well as "some wealth". Can you site the "multiple times" please?

Jesus said it's wrong to have excessive wealth. It's like how he'd hate the Vatican for having and showing all the gawdiness and wealth. It's clear from the Bible he'd want all that sold off and the money given to the poor.

Would you please site what scripture you are referencing?

Jesus takes offense. I point out, laugh at and ridicule the hypocrisy of Christians. There's a difference. I'll just taunt Christians about seeing them in Hell. Jesus sends them there.

As I said... this does seem more personal than rational understanding of scriptures.

They weren't instructed by Jesus.

Jesus says differently, "John 8:57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”

58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

I think the Jewish people understood what Abraham said. So... no.

They lived communally and were utterly dependant upon the givings of others. They didn't starve, but they had nothing terms of material wealth. Jesus didn't like it and wouldn't have allowed it.

Yet Jesus said, Mark 10:28 Then Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You.”29 So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, 30 who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life.

Can you explain " who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses"?