• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mary under the stairs ?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Question specifically for christian people:

I recently moved into my current house. It's a very old house (it was part of the neighbouring medieval castle nearby) and there's a very old wooden big staircase. The first time we came to the empty house before the move, I looked under the stairs and found a very beautiful and very old statue of the virgin Mary tucked under the first step.

Didn't think much of it and took it to the ex-owners of the house like "hey uh you forgot this I think".

Turns out it wasn't their, and it wasn't to the ex-ex-owners too. So that makes that Mary more than a hundred years old at least and she was purposefully put under the stairs, lying on the ground for all that time :neutral:

The very day I took it, I had a car accident. The next day, the boiler exploded. It was like a never ending stream of extreme bad luck had struck the entire place, so I put it back under the staircase and it stopped. I wish I was joking, but am not.

Anyway, she's still under the stairs and I don't even dare touching or looking at this status anymore. Is there any christian around that would know why a virgin Mary statue have been laid down under that staircase in the first place ? Is there a belief or tradition associated with doing that ?

I only moved it in the first place because it was under a step, and I felt it was disrespectful to metaphorically "step" on the virgin every time going up and down the stairs. But uh. Well. .___.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone may have seen an apparition and put the statue there.

It may be used to ward off demonic activity (you may have found this?)

It might just have been accidental, which is most likely imo. It may have fallen.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I recently moved into my current house. It's a very old house (it was part of the neighbouring medieval castle nearby) and there's a very old wooden big staircase. The first time we came to the empty house before the move, I looked under the stairs and found a very beautiful and very old statue of the virgin Mary tucked under the first step.

Didn't think much of it and took it to the ex-owners of the house like "hey uh you forgot this I think".

Turns out it wasn't their, and it wasn't to the ex-ex-owners too. So that makes that Mary more than a hundred years old at least and she was purposefully put under the stairs, lying on the ground for all that time :neutral:

The very day I took it, I had a car accident. The next day, the boiler exploded. It was like a never ending stream of extreme bad luck had struck the entire place, so I put it back under the staircase and it stopped. I wish I was joking, but am not.

Anyway, she's still under the stairs and I don't even dare touching or looking at this status anymore. Is there any christian around that would know why a virgin Mary statue have been laid down under that staircase in the first place ? Is there a belief or tradition associated with doing that ?

I only moved it in the first place because it was under a step, and I felt it was disrespectful to metaphorically "step" on the virgin every time going up and down the stairs. But uh. Well. .___.

No idea if it is related, but here in Brazil, there is a folk belief that if a saint doesn't do as asked you can punish their statues until they do (like placing them upside down in a glass of water as if drowning the saint).

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No idea if it is related, but here in Brazil, there is a folk belief that if a saint doesn't do as asked you can punish their statues until they do (like placing them upside down in a glass of water as if drowning the saint).
Wouldn't the catholic church consider that disrespectful and blasphemous?

exchemist

Veteran Member

I have not heard of this and it seems very odd to have a statue of the Virgin lying down and invisible to the occupants. If you find it beautiful I think you should mount the statue somewhere where it can be seen. These statues are intended to remind the faithful of the saints and their lives, so its purpose will be better fulfilled, I should think, if it is visible. How big is it?

flowerpower

No. But there are an awful lot of superstitious Catholics about, still. :rolleyes:

I'm a severely lapsed Catholic and I sometimes wonder whether my misfortunes in life can be attributed to my extreme disrespect to the church during my school years and beyond.

Me and my friends used to flick the Body of Christ around at each other and try to get it in each other's hair during our weekly masses. I even [edit - not sure if I want to admit this so soon in my RF experience] during my uni years one wayward night.

Some of the open trash talk I've made about the Catholic Church might be regarded by a lot of people as unforgivable.

Now that I feel like I've had my butt smacked hard enough, I actually experience some kind of fear of god that I haven't felt since I was a young kid.

Man religion really messes with people's heads in ways that are sometimes unimaginable.

This is a pretty cool OP to me though. Kind of beautiful to read about. Maybe I'm just in an unusually good mood this morning.

Nyingjé Tso

I have not heard of this and it seems very odd to have a statue of the Virgin lying down and invisible to the occupants. If you find it beautiful I think you should mount the statue somewhere where it can be seen. These statues are intended to remind the faithful of the saints and their lives, so its purpose will be better fulfilled, I should think, if it is visible. How big is it?

It is pretty big and very beautiful. Took this photo from when I found her and before the whole debacle happened xD

PXL_20231029_091829650.jpg

I honestly wanted to put her on some kind of display in the house, even tho I'm not Christian... Just out of respect and as part of the history of the house instead of just lying down under a stair. But I don't even dare moving it again from under there x__x

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member

Try giving it a burial in the yard. That's my serious suggestion. Keep it in the same position, lying down. Perhaps this will work. If that doesn't work leave it outside a catholic church where it will be found.

flowerpower

It is pretty big and very beautiful. Took this photo from when I found her and before the whole debacle happened xD

View attachment 86511

I honestly wanted to put her on some kind of display in the house, even tho I'm not Christian... Just out of respect and as part of the history of the house instead of just lying down under a stair. But I don't even dare moving it again from under there x__x

That is pretty gorgeous.

I'd treasure it if it were mine.

Maybe even worship it if only in a facetious way. :sunglasses:

Nyingjé Tso

I went to the village church hoping to ask a priest about it, only to discover that... The village church is never open and there's no priest anymore. .__. Well uh I didn't know it was going that bad for Christianity here. The church is not used at all anymore.

BUT there was the contact of diocese people on there that seems to be in the big city nearby. I think I'll just contact them and directly ask xD

Found many other super old things (a wrench encased in a hundred years worth of rust and an equally old coal pellets reserve half buried in the basement) but no other cursed catholic statue so far ! :tearsofjoy:

flowerpower

I went to the village church hoping to ask a priest about it, only to discover that... The village church is never open and there's no priest anymore. .__. Well uh I didn't know it was going that bad for Christianity here. The church is not used at all anymore.

BUT there was the contact of diocese people on there that seems to be in the big city nearby. I think I'll just contact them and directly ask xD

Found many other super old things (a wrench encased in a hundred years worth of rust and an equally old coal pellets reserve half buried in the basement) but no other cursed catholic statue so far ! :tearsofjoy:

Well, keep digging. :laughing:

Maybe I'm a kook having some kind of episode but I'm finding this thread absolutely enchanting!

It has the feel of some kind of sentimental short story or something.