• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male Bias

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As in the history of Christianity this did not refer to social and legal here on earth, in terms of salvation and the spiritual journey of the soul.

Paul set the standard up until the 19th century.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35(NIV) states:

"As in all the congregations of the Lord’s people. Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2: 9-15 (NASB) says:

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
I assume you don't know what the churches were like in those days?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In 2018 women can choose any profession

Anywhere in the world?

A taste of the findings:

France: 100 percent of French women and 99 percent of French men backed the idea of equal rights. Yet 75 percent also said that men there had a better life.

The United States and Germany: Each of these countries reported an especially strong gap between the sexes on whether enough has been done to give women equality. More men in these places believe their nations have made the right amount of changes for women, while many more women than men think more action is required.

China, India, Indonesia and Jordan: In all these countries, a majority of equal rights supporters said they thought most of the adjustments necessary to establish equality have already been made.

Nigeria: The only country in the survey where more than half of respondents said women should not have equal rights.

Pakistan, Egypt and Jordan: Fewer than 80 percent of the respondents said that women should be able to work outside the home.

Britain and Japan: Even more men than women supported equal rights.

Mexico, Indonesia and Russia: The only countries where a majority (and a slim one, at that) agreed that women and men have achieved a comparable quality of life.

Poland: A majority (55 percent) said men had the upper hand.

South Korea and Japan: Nearly half said that it was women who are better off then men.

India, Pakistan and Egypt: The majority believed that a university education is more important for a boy; in China, Japan, Jordan, Poland and Nigeria, that number was at least one-third.

Egypt: While a solid 60 percent of men said boys were more entitled to that education, an equally solid 60 percent of women disagreed.

India, Pakistan, Egypt, Indonesia and China: The majority said that men have more rights to a job than women, particularly when jobs are hard to find. (In the United States, Britain, Spain, Germany and France, the majority strongly disagreed.)

France, Germany, Poland and India: At least 80 percent of respondents said that, in practice, men still got more opportunities than women for jobs that pay well, even when women were as qualified.

Equality Around the World

Deidre

I'd say Jesus treated women as equals, and he spoke to them alone, which was considered taboo back during those times. He ''witnessed'' to them without men present, and he seemed to lift women up despite where the society had them.

Paul's ''visions'' of Jesus and how he talks about women imo, seems to contradict Jesus. I'm not a fan of Paul, and think that he was a misogynist.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not true...I chose to study law because I am not good at getting math...and math makes me sick, honestly.

Intellectual abilities and professional aspirations are intertwined

And so are social constructs. The astronomer that got the prize in the OP was denied a Nobel Prize, partly because of her gender and partly because she was a graduate student. This was a grave injustice that was somewhat eliminated by this new prize (which she turned into a scholarship for women). if she has received the Nobel Prize, she would have easily had academic appointments at the top of her field with the departments begging to get her. Instead, she had a number of low level jobs where she begged for the jobs. The problem was NOT her intellectual abilities, but the society that couldn't accept a women as a scientist. Other women that are now recognized as the top of their fields underwent similar treatment (Rosalind Franklin, who did the x-ray crystallography work for the structure of DNA is another case, but there are others).

This was primarily due to biases against women in the science. And there is, truthfully, still a long way to go. Many women who would be able to do the work and also have the interest have been directed away from technical fields by 'counselors' that direct women to more 'traditional' roles.

Ellen Brown

Might makes right.
Men are used to imposing their will. Probably some culture some genetics. Those in control, in power get to pass on their genes/culture more often than not.

1000's of years men have dominated. How long has the idea of equality been around?

And, if the man is loving and decent, I am quite happy to let him do so. Some/many/most (?) women have encountered angry, brutal, abusive and molesting males and are very wary, perhaps even to the point of over reacting even to good men. I want to obey God, but to be obedient to an abusive man ???

Ellen Brown

In the Middle Eastern Islamic culture, if there is not a supportive Mahram (husband, father, guardian), it is very hard, almost impossible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are definitely some lessons yet to learn about treating women as actual people.

When I was 17 or 18 I doubled the amount of people on this planet I felt I could befriend. Some of my guy acquaintances thought I must have had some kind of inexhaustable sexual prowess to be able to hang out with so many girls.

It's not all that hard to take gender out of it, actually.

Ellen Brown

When I was 17 or 18 I doubled the amount of people on this planet I felt I could befriend. Some of my guy acquaintances thought I must have had some kind of inexhaustable sexual prowess to be able to hang out with so many girls.

It's not all that hard to take gender out of it, actually.

If they will do that. My experience has been that men want to move from Coffee to the bedroom very quickly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If they will do that. My experience has been that men want to move from Coffee to the bedroom very quickly.

Yes, unfortunately. Before that breakthrough, I too would have. But after that I found driving around, scenery, coffee, spirituality, etc. 100 times interesting and deep than sitting in a bar talking about who you'd like to ______. That was just so ridiculously stupid. There were a few guys who I could have a deep conversation with, and a few women I couldn't, but by far my best friends were women. That continued through 30 years of teaching. Still does, although now most male friends come from a culture that values stuff besides sex. I've yet to hear a Tamil man speak vulgarly.

It's sad that that mindset is still a dominating force.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I assume you don't know what the churches were like in those days?

The scripture from the Christian perspective is not only for those days, and it is as much for today as 'those days.'

The Baha'i Faith view is the scripture was for 'those days.'

Shaul

Premium Member
Oh, look, another gratuitous battle of the sexes thread. Here let me help.

Here are the immutable rules:
1) The sexes are equal.
2) Nobody’s personal experiences invalidate rule #1.

There, fixed it. Next.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Oh, look, another gratuitous battle of the sexes thread. Here let me help.

Here are the immutable rules:
1) The sexes are equal.
2) Nobody’s personal experiences invalidate rule #1.

There, fixed it. Next.

It is naive to believe such simplistic statements resolve the problem with the wave of a wand and a little fairy dust.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I honestly do not know where to put this, so Moderators, please move it as you wish.

I ran into this on BBC and thought it could provide some interesting discussion about Male Bias.

Physics star gives away £2.3m prize

It is very clear to me that even in Genesis 3:16 Misogyny got a very early start, and I am not sure if that is what God said, or if men simply interpreted it that way? Christian and Jewish texts do not mention women much, and the Quran is even worse.

And we are all aware that it has carried forward to this present time. I was in a large store called Home Depot, where you can purchase anything from Rose bushes to Electrical Services. It is amazing to me that there seems to be an invisible line in the store, where women "shall not pass". When ever I go into the Electrical section there are times when the men there are really awful.

This male bias seems to be distributed through our society and I am not sure if it is from God, or just the chemical Testosterone? I once has a man gently scold me for checking my oil in a service station, "No, no Sister, what is in here is not for woman... ".

I don't think it comes down to testosterone, since divisions and bias aren't limited to male vs female. They happen in lots of different ways and lots of different forms.
I would say (as some others here have mentioned) that male vs female bias is much more obvious, since there was no need for men to hide it, or be subtle about it. It was commonly seen as their right.

Racial bias can be equally as obvious in some situations and cultures.

One can only hope we're slowly moving forwards. I think we are, but it's so hard to tell, sometimes.

Ellen Brown

I don't think it comes down to testosterone, since divisions and bias aren't limited to male vs female. They happen in lots of different ways and lots of different forms.
I would say (as some others here have mentioned) that male vs female bias is much more obvious, since there was no need for men to hide it, or be subtle about it. It was commonly seen as their right.

Racial bias can be equally as obvious in some situations and cultures.

One can only hope we're slowly moving forwards. I think we are, but it's so hard to tell, sometimes.

Racial bias is so obvious and shameful. This post is about what men do to women, which is far less obvious. I am not saying that Genesis 3:16 and some other passages are not still in effect. It would be nice if men were a bit more kind.