• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love your parents, says Bible. Why?

questfortruth

Indeed, as a general principle, that is good advice. But what if your father and mother are criminals? The general principle must be written. Any exceptions do not need to be written. If it is not written, "Do not murder," there will be a dead planet in just one second. So, it is written. Any exceptions from this commandment do not need to be written. So, to save the space of the Bible, they are not written.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Indeed, as a general principle, that is good advice. But what if your father and mother are criminals? The general principle must be written. Any exceptions do not need to be written. If it is not written, "Do not murder," there will be a dead planet in just one second. So, it is written. Any exceptions from this commandment do not need to be written. So, to save the space of the Bible, they are not written.
It is "honor," not "love." And, IMO, this directive is in reference to your heredity, your culture, your community, your elders in general more so than just the two who conceived your physical vessel. It is quite common culturally to call people of no direct bloodline, but who are revered, "mother," "uncle," "grandfather," and so on, out of respect. These days it's unusual just to hear "mister," or "miss" to give honor to those who have lived longer.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Jesus actually taught to abandon them. Tough love, probably. Probably another mystery of the faith :)

Matthew 19:29
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Ciao

- viole

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
These days it's unusual just to hear "mister," or "miss" to give honor to those who have lived longer.
That's partially my fault. I don't think chronological age is a measure of honor. As I see it, one's actions are deserving of honor, not one's age.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
That's partially my fault. I don't think chronological age is a measure of honor. As I see it, one's actions are deserving of honor, not one's age.
I agree. I don't use it haphazardly. But I do try to for appropriate circumstances. And being of "a certain age," I'm quite happy not being addressed in that manner on all occasions. LOL But I truly, truly feel the recognition when used as, IMO, intended.

Indeed, as a general principle, that is good advice. But what if your father and mother are criminals?
But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Matt. 5:44-45

:)

cyw20

It is "honor," not "love." And, IMO, this directive is in reference to your heredity, your culture, your community, your elders in general more so than just the two who conceived your physical vessel. It is quite common culturally to call people of no direct bloodline, but who are revered, "mother," "uncle," "grandfather," and so on, out of respect. These days it's unusual just to hear "mister," or "miss" to give honor to those who have lived longer.
A a father and mother are very specific.
There are three partners that bring a person into this world, a persons mother, father and God. By honoring a persons mother and father. it will bring him to honoring God

Elihoenai

Deuteronomy 5:16

16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Luke 14:26

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Elohim's/God's Command to Honour your Father and Mother is for Israel Only. Outside of Israel All Fathers and Mothers are Child Abusers and Self Abusers. Yeshua/Jesus Instructed to Hate Child Abusers and Self Abusers.

If your Parents are Murderers or Criminals Showing love and compassion does not mean condoning or excusing their actions. It means recognizing their humanity and inherent worth as individuals, despite their past actions. It is also important to consider the potential for rehabilitation and redemption, as well as the importance of forgiveness and healing for both the individual and society as a whole.

While holding individuals accountable for their actions is important, it is also important to remember that everyone has the capacity for change and growth. By showing love and compassion to murderers, we can help foster a sense of empathy, understanding, and connection that can ultimately lead to healing and transformation.

Remember we are all capable of Murder under the right circumstances.