• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking Into The Episcopal Church

Doodlebug02

Hi everyone. I am a Catholic but I am currently searching for the right denomination for me. I am not happy with the Catholic Church. I have been looking into the Episcopal Church. I really like the Episcopal Church and have my very own Book of Common Prayer. I am strongly considering converting to the Episcopal Church. How do I go about officially converting?

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi Holly,

To get started all you need to do is show up at the Episcopal Church home you've found. If you've not yet found a church near you that you like, a little investigation using the web and visiting once or twice can really help you decide if the community is one that you like. You probably know that there is some controversy in the church right now...most congregations tend to be broad or progressive, but there are also some that are quite conservative by comparison. You may find one or another that suites you better.

If you've been baptized in pretty much any Christian church you can take communion at any Episcopal Church. This is a good time of year to get involved in the church because Lent is a traditional time for programs that aim toward confirmation in the church (you don't have to be confirmed to become a member though). Such programs would give you a good introduction to Episcopal worship. A defining aspect of the Episcopal Church is that we are unified by our worship, which means we have a lot more room for a variety of doctrinal teachings.

If no courses are being offered at the church you find, there may be an adult Sunday School you could attend, and of course you should feel free to talk directly to the priest to ask all of your questions about the Episcopal Church. As I said, the best thing to do is just start attending, talk to the people there, and if you so choose eventually you can be confirmed into the church to make it more 'official.' That last step however is not a requirement for being part of the church.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions. :)

luna

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Whoa! :eek: I know this is the DIR forum, but I can't help but be curious what's going on Holly? If you don't want to talk about it that's fine. If you do, just ask or object away in the Roman Catholic section.

Doodlebug02

Whoa! :eek: I know this is the DIR forum, but I can't help but be curious what's going on Holly? If you don't want to talk about it that's fine. If you do, just ask or object away in the Roman Catholic section.

Yeah I chose to leave the Catholic Church because I am finding myself disagreeing with the Catholic Church on many levels. This includes disagreeing with some of the dogmas of the Catholic Church.

Doodlebug02

Okay so today was my first Palm Sunday service in an Episcopal Church. I made a few embarrassing mistakes during and shortly after the service. All well, I am sure that most people if not all the people knew that I am a newbie to the Episcopal Church. I've only been there a few times before.

So, I have been confirmed before in the Catholic Church. Would I need to be confirmed again in the Episcopal Church? I would honestly like to go through some sort of rite or something again to officially mark my entrance into the Episcopal Church. Is this possible for me?

lunamoth

Will to love
Okay so today was my first Palm Sunday service in an Episcopal Church. I made a few embarrassing mistakes during and shortly after the service. All well, I am sure that most people if not all the people knew that I am a newbie to the Episcopal Church. I've only been there a few times before.
I'm envious you got to go today as I was sick today and decided to keep my germs at home. Palm Sunday through Holy Week is wonderful. Anyway, don't worry about making mistakes. It can be confusing juggling between the prayer book, Bible, and hymnal. I've been going for years and I still find myself getting lost.

So, I have been confirmed before in the Catholic Church. Would I need to be confirmed again in the Episcopal Church? I would honestly like to go through some sort of rite or something again to officially mark my entrance into the Episcopal Church. Is this possible for me?
Yes, you certainly may take a confirmation class and be confirmed in the Episcopal Church. You do not need to be baptized if you have been baptized in the Catholic Church. Best to ask the priest about confirmation classes, when they are offered etc.. There may be mostly teens in the class, but there will probably be adults too.

Doodlebug02

I'm envious you got to go today as I was sick today and decided to keep my germs at home. Palm Sunday through Holy Week is wonderful. Anyway, don't worry about making mistakes. It can be confusing juggling between the prayer book, Bible, and hymnal. I've been going for years and I still find myself getting lost.

Yes, you certainly may take a confirmation class and be confirmed in the Episcopal Church. You do not need to be baptized if you have been baptized in the Catholic Church. Best to ask the priest about confirmation classes, when they are offered etc.. There may be mostly teens in the class, but there will probably be adults too.

Ah okay. I will definitely see about getting confirmed in the Episcopal Church. :)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Yeah I chose to leave the Catholic Church because I am finding myself disagreeing with the Catholic Church on many levels. This includes disagreeing with some of the dogmas of the Catholic Church.

Peace be with you.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

To answer your question, most Episcopal parishes offer an "inquirer's class" that is an orientation tool for newcomers. Since you have been baptized and confirmed, you will not need either one. You will be received into the Anglican Communion, on the basis of 1) your prior confirmation in a body within the apostolic succession and 2) your expressed desire to become Anglican. Your reception will likely take place at the same time others are confirmed. The reception is part of the larger rite of Confirmation.

Reference p. 413 of the Book of Common Prayer for the rite of Confirmation. Pay special attention to p. 418, at the bottom. It deals with reception.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, I am no longer seeking out the Episcopal Church. I have decided to stay Catholic. :)
Great! Good for you. There's nothing wrong with questioning -- it's part of spiritual development. Best wishes!