• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Logic as evidence for intelligent design

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
That other thread is just plain stupid, let's move on here. Looking at the logical axiom that A is A and can never be non-A we learn something interesting about our own nature and the nature of the world around us. In the other thread it was pointed out that logic is just the way humanity has come to explain these "laws" we've observed, yet our description is still based on something observed seemingly separate from the human mind.

Anyways, I want to look at intelligent design ideas for a second. For one, I certainly have seen no (other) evidence for intelligent design myself, but perhaps I am just overly skeptical. Most of what happens or has happened either can be explained without an external cause needed, or at the very least our modern state of understanding suggests that all unanswered question we still have may have a physical, no-deity-needed explanation.

Logic is seemingly different. There is no apparent physical cause for it, rather it is an unexplainable (and un-debatable) and inherent aspect of the physical universe. If physicality is all there is then there should be a physical cause for duality (which can only exist in from a logical perspective). In fact, even in other species who show no signs of being able to understand logic, these animals are still bound to it and still follow its laws (not that they could do otherwise). The very act of knowing friend from foe relies on a separation between A and non-A.

Whether this argument here really shows anything is easily debatable, but it is certainly worth considering logic as evidence of an outside intelligence (at least to those open to such considerations) due to the fact that it has no physical cause and yet is an inherent aspect of nature. It cannot even be explained the same way as physical laws are described. Logic is a whole different entity entirely.

Why would some outside force want to create a world with duality? That's a whole other topic to get off into.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't really understand your post, but for what it's worth.

Logic is a tool used to establish valid relationships.

ID (creationism) is an explanation of the origin of everything.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Logic, I think, is beyond God. God's existence is based on logic, the mere fact God exists is logic itself. Logic must come from non-logic. At some point it must've been possible for A=Not A or not, and split into it being not possible. This moment is what we term chaos, nothingness.

Nothingness, by definition, never actually existed. There was never a time when there wasn't a time, but at the same time Time came from a point where time didn't exist. There was never nothing, but once upon a time something came from this nonexistent nothing.

So logic proves that non-logic existed.

Premium Member
Logic, I think, is beyond God. God's existence is based on logic, the mere fact God exists is logic itself. Logic must come from non-logic. At some point it must've been possible for A=Not A or not, and split into it being not possible. This moment is what we term chaos, nothingness.

Nothingness, by definition, never actually existed. There was never a time when there wasn't a time, but at the same time Time came from a point where time didn't exist. There was never nothing, but once upon a time something came from this nonexistent nothing.

So logic proves that non-logic existed.

I don't think that Chaos and Nothingness are the same thing though. Chaos is just beyond comprehension.

outhouse

Atheistically
Logic as evidence for intelligent design?

Nope no evidence there.

Not sure what to make of your OP, needs to be more clear in what your trying to project.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.

Sooooo. Nothingness by definition never existed, but once upon a time there was a nonexistent nothing that something came from. AND. There never was a time when there wasn't time though time started where time didn't exist.

From my point of view, these are nonsensical sentences. You make a statement, then you reverse your statement. Could you rephrase this paragraph so it is understandable? Cause I'm sure you have an idea what you posted, but I'm lost!

The Sum of Awe

Sooooo. Nothingness by definition never existed, but once upon a time there was a nonexistent nothing that something came from. AND. There never was a time when there wasn't time though time started where time didn't exist.

From my point of view, these are nonsensical sentences. You make a statement, then you reverse your statement. Could you rephrase this paragraph so it is understandable? Cause I'm sure you have an idea what you posted, but I'm lost!
Humans can't comprehend everything, but that doesn't mean it isn't that way.

"Nothingness" as a concept is paradoxical, because 'ness' implies something. But in terms of defining it, it is in a way a thing, just a thing that doesn't exist. In the same way 0 isn't a value, but the lack of value. Zero exists but at the same time zero is the lack of existence.

The big bang was the very instant time began, so there wasn't a 'before' time. The moment existed started to exist is the moment that existence exists. Nothing before existence. Yet existence came from the lack of existence.

The nothingness is simply a placeholder for something, it never had existence, because otherwise it'd be something. It's really hard to explain because, it's incomprehensible. I guess the best way to put it would be; how many photons existed before you turned the light on? There wasn't ever a light before the light.

Sorry man this isn't making sense, I'm really stumped on how to word this.

Premium Member
Humans can't comprehend everything, but that doesn't mean it isn't that way.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

"Nothingness" as a concept is paradoxical, because 'ness' implies something. But in terms of defining it, it is in a way a thing, just a thing that doesn't exist. In the same way 0 isn't a value, but the lack of value. Zero exists but at the same time zero is the lack of existence.

But as you say, zero doesnt really exist, rather it is just a concept. The same can be said of "nothingness". We can't actually comprehend "nothingness" but we have this word-symbol representing what it is supposed to mean. This is why I said that nothingness and chaos are different things. Chaos is (partly) an absence of logical laws.

The Sum of Awe

I don't understand what you mean by this.

But as you say, zero doesnt really exist, rather it is just a concept. The same can be said of "nothingness". We can't actually comprehend "nothingness" but we have this word-symbol representing what it is supposed to mean. This is why I said that nothingness and chaos are different things. Chaos is (partly) an absence of logical laws.
You're correct in saying they are two different things, but they come in the same package deal. With nothingness, there is nothing and thus the absence of logical laws. With chaos, there's no order, and so there is no form, and thus no existence because existence IS form.

In the early stages if the universe, or more specifically the very instance existence came to be, there was no matter only energy. An infinite amount of potential energy, that we call the singularity, because the fact there was nothing means there was nothing to prevent something from happening. This potential energy caused the universe, and out of nothing there was something. Let there be light!

It cannot be thought of that there was nothingness for an eternity before the big bang, because eternity implies time, and there wasn't time "before" the big bang.

This is simply how it turned out, randomly. There is no reason why logic is the way it is, it was just random, but now existence follows it. Existence and the laws of logic is just the way the big bang is shaped.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That other thread is just plain stupid, let's move on here. Looking at the logical axiom that A is A and can never be non-A we learn something interesting about our own nature and the nature of the world around us.
Then we realized the physics of the 19th century was fundamentally flawed, developed quantum mechanics and its field theories, and now the logic of the basic constituents of all nature violates the excluded middle/non tertium datur.

Premium Member
Then we realized the physics of the 19th century was fundamentally flawed, developed quantum mechanics and its field theories, and now the logic of the basic constituents of all nature violates the excluded middle/non tertium datur.

How can it reject excluded middle and not identity or non contradiction?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How can it reject excluded middle and not identity or non contradiction?
I argued that same point. I don't think it can. In fact, I think it's obvious that it can't. But I was attempting to represent more than my personal view.

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
Okay Sum I think I get the idea. I'm not sure your logic holds up though. There was no time, nor matter before the Big Bang. So far we agree. Where I question is the suggestion that the Big Bang came from nothing. We don't know that. We don't know what caused the singularity to pop into existence and Bang. It could have come from something we have no understanding of yet. From an alternate dimension is one possibility.

Your question about where photons came from is another good example of where you may be missing the boat. Before there was light, there were no photons. I agree. But there was energy and there were the four primal forces in existence that made it possible for our universe to begin forming into what it is now. Photons did not exist before light; that doesn't mean they came from nothing. Before they were protons, they were in a different form.

outhouse

Atheistically
Where I question is the suggestion that the Big Bang came from nothing. We don't know that. We don't know what caused the singularity to pop into existence and Bang.

Im leaning towards a super massive black hole exploding myself. It is perfectly plausible.

Plato

Cogito ergo sum....I think therefore I am......Yes human logic proves the existence of a Deity that created this universe and reality through a logical intelligent design. As does the fact the whole universe can be reduced to highly advanced mathematics and laws (is that supposed to be just random?).
If the universe and reality is just random or 'natural' with no intelligent designing Deity then why do humans have logic at all, and exquisite logic at that, that can produce physics, philosophy, computers, split and fuse the atom etc. Why are humans sentient (aware of their own minds and consciousness)? Neither of these are necessary for the human species to exist or thrive. Sharks don't have either and have existed 100 times longer than humans like many other species so why do humans have logic and are sentient when it's not needed by biology unless some intelligence designed us that way. And if their is no intelligent creator of the universe why isn't it random and chaos instead of in perfect order?

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes human logic proves the existence of a Deity that created this universe and reality through a logical intelligent design

It proves nothing.

Logic dictates a deity is one of thousands of deities humans have made in the past.

As does the fact the whole universe can be reduced to highly advanced mathematics and laws

No it cannot. We do not have a theory of everything in place hat can be broken down into math.

If the universe and reality is just random or 'natural' with no intelligent designing Deity then why do humans have logic at all,

Evolution.

Why are humans sentient (aware of their own minds and consciousness)? Neither of these are necessary for the human species to exist or thrive

Factually, absolutely necessary for survival.

And if their is no intelligent creator of the universe why isn't it random and chaos instead of in perfect order?

There Is no perfect order.

The universe factually is random and chaos.