• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life’s difficult when you don’t know much

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don’t even know how to put a rope on a flagpole or attach a flag to it. I can’t even find a decent video for instructions…

I’m so stupid. I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower. I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.

It’s just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know, when i barely have enough energy to clean the house sometimes. My ambition is very low anymore

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t even know how to put a rope on a flagpole or attach a flag to it. I can’t even find a decent video for instructions…
I don't know how to do that, either.
I’m so stupid. I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower. I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.
Same.

It doesn't mean we're stupid, it just means we haven't learned these things. Stupidity would be more we're incapable of learning. From what I know of you, I doubt you're incapable. Perhaps these things just haven't been important to you.

What things do you know how to do?
It’s just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know, when i barely have enough energy to clean the house sometimes. My ambition is very low anymore
Are you depressed?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't know how to do that, either.

Same.

It doesn't mean we're stupid, it just means we haven't learned these things. Stupidity would be more we're incapable of learning. From what I know of you, I doubt you're incapable. Perhaps these things just haven't been important to you.

What things do you know how to do?

Are you depressed?
Nah I’m not depressed, I was just stressed out earlier when I wrote this.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't either. Never had a reason to learn that. We could both probably learn it though. I think we could if there was a motivation to.
I’m so stupid.
Ignorance. It is not stupidity. Given that you are aware of your own limitation here, is further evidence against stupidity.

I know some things, but what I'm ignorant of fills a universe.

Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge and no indication about the ability to learn that knowledge.
I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower. I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.
I know some of that, because it was valuable for me to learn it. Not knowing it only means you don't know it. Not that you cannot learn it.
I run into that frustration at times, when my need to know is constrained by a lack of experience and knowledge and confronts the demands of reality.

I don't think that frustration equals a failure in ambition. Clearly, you would appreciate knowing what you have defined as an area of interest.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have 8 billion others of us that don't know a lot either.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

It’s just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know

Running into things that one doesn't know is a fairly common experience.

Using that as a demotivational technique is likely to be effective due to the high frequency.

Nah I’m not depressed, I was just stressed out earlier when I wrote this.

Billy Joel said it best.

Billy Joel - Pressure (Official Video)​

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

IMO, it is only too difficult when you'd rather be doing something else.

I needed to repair the suspension on my bike. I knew nothing about it. I read the manual from the manufacture but it didn't make sense to me.
I bought parts I thought I would need to repair it. I was wrong. I had to buy tools I didn't know how to use or even the right tool to buy. However I wanted to fix the bike. I got a really good deal on it. After many errors, I finally figured out the tools and how it was supposed to work.

Now it all seems pretty simple to me. You have to be motivated. You have to be willing to fail. You have to keep at it.
It is very easy to keep doing what you already know how to do. Doing something you don't know how to do isn't.
However if you keep at it, you will eventually know how and it will become easy.

If you are lucky you'll find a mentor but usually not. So if you can motivate yourself, it will become easy. If not, it will always be hard.

And there is a lot of stuff I'm not motivated to learn about. That's ok too. I think you just have to be willing to accept that as well.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Have you tried asking your flag supplier to demonstrate how it is done? Suppliers typically are a good source of knowledge about their product.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I have deficiencies in learning skills. I don't let it bother me as many employers still look for people to handle redundant repetitive jobs.

Since leaving trucking because of my health situation I found a place in manufacturing and still have have purpose and retirement goals provided my health holds out that long.

Look at the things you can do. That's where you start and maybe even expand on.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don’t even know how to put a rope on a flagpole or attach a flag to it.

That's something I've never thought of before, now i can't get it out of my head... Thanks.

I’m so stupid. I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower.

I used to know a nuclear physicist who taught nuclear physics at university and consulted on nuclear power station design. In real life situations he was clueless, to the extent of not knowing how to change a light bulb.

In the UK we have a saying for people like this "Horses for courses".

I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain

Bike mechanics are a wonderful invention.

I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.

Ah ha that's where i got you beat ;-)

just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know,

Life is a learning experience, you learn what you need (or want) to learn

PureX

Veteran Member
Stupidity is just refusing to learn, and instead making excuses for not learning, like thinking "that" knowledge is silly or useless, or that we already know better, or that smart people are really the stupid ones, or that we're incapable of understanding complicated things.

The only truly stupid people I've ever met were just not willing to learn. Whereas I've met lots of people that didn't know things, but were wise beyond their years because they weren't afraid to ask, and learn what they didn't know, and to appreciate those who were willing to share what they do know with them.

It usually makes other people feel good when we ask them to share their knowledge with us. And they're happy to do it. Knowledge is a good thing. But it's wisdom that really matters.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Lack of knowledge has never stopped me from doing things I've never done. Sometimes, suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect gives you the arrogance to at least try. And often enough, trial and error leads to a satisfying result.

Viker

Häxan

There are amazing tutorials on all of that. There's a lot each of us don't know or can't fathom. Don't sweat it.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t even know how to put a rope on a flagpole or attach a flag to it.

Neither do I.
I can’t even find a decent video for instructions…

Which probably means not too many other people know how to do it either.
I’m so stupid.

No you're not. I know, because I know a lot of stupid people and you don't remind me of any of them
I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower. I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.

Nobody's born knowing any of this stuff. A lot of people are lucky enough to have had adults or older siblings around while they were kids who were willing to teach them some of this stuff, but not everybody was.

Doesn't mean those people are smarter, just luckier.

For as long as there have been people it's been the job of one generation to pass on their knowledge and skills to the next generation. And I'm not talking about formal education either, I'm just talking about normal, everyday interactions between family and community members.

It's a shame that it isn't always that way anymore. And it wasn't just about passing down specific technical skills, it was about teaching a kid that they were capable of solving problems and overcoming obstacles on their own.

It’s just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know,

That's never going to stop happening. And that's true for everybody.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am able to get some info by asking copilot. It brings up several sites and youtube video.

Put in this inquiry: "How do you attach a rope and flag to a flagpole?"

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Well, we all have to start somewhere, and mistakes are pretty much inevitable in any progress - as long as one at least attempts things. My list of silly failures is laughable - mostly because I often failed to appreciate my lack of knowledge at the time.

Like reversing a (more vintage) car after passing my driving test and not realising how quick it was in reverse, such that I hit the kerb (pavement) with the exhaust before hitting the brake and hence breaking the exhaust manifold on the engine connected to the exhaust. This not being in plentiful supply - being vintage. :eek:

On another occasion, I was offered a quick test ride on a friend's new Ariel Arrow motorcycle, not having a bike of my own or having passed a motorcycle driving test. I put the rather fast bike on its side in the underground carpark before hitting a wall, but a slippery surface might be blamed. I should have declined the offer. o_O

Probably plenty more things that I have regretted, but I probably did learn from these - as to declining those offers as to which I was not competent to complete - or as to trying to learn whatever so as not to make a fool of myself.

Fortunately I did have two older brothers, and who probably initiated me into all things cycling, such that I could build a bicycle from scratch given the components - eventually. And for me this seemed to be my direction - wanting to know how technology worked, and as to who these wizards were who designed and built all the marvelous inventions that became the playthings for so many of us. I became a mechanical engineer.

Hence I did quite enjoy various magazines that delved into such things, especially the electronic ones that had circuit diagrams for one to make various not-so-useful tools - and most did work as advertised if built correctly.

So for me it is basically as to at least trying to be methodical - if a lengthy process is involved - so as not to ignore or miss any steps, and to make sure one understands each part of any procedure. And which basically just builds upon all the past successes and/or failures.

If we don't try we won't even fail, but we might succeed if we do try. ;)

Please try not to feel bad. I think we all have areas of expertise and non-expertise.

Right now, I'm feeling ignorant regarding the replacement of my smoke-detectors. Technically, I think I could do it myself, but I don't know if I would do it right, and how many false-alarms I'd be setting off struggling with wires and whatnot in the process.

On top of that, alarms in general freak me out anyway (even more so than whatever-it-is from which they're designed to protect me). The sudden, unexpected, loud noise thing just shatters my nerves more than it probably should. As it is, just replacing the detectors’ batteries gets my adrenaline up to levels that would be more appropriate in an actual crisis.

Fortunately, our local fire department offers detector assessments and installations. I felt a little embarrassed asking them to do it, but having them do it is, apparently, an established thing, so I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. They probably feel better ensuring that it gets done—and done correctly—than having to deal with the aftermath of incorrect installation or outright non-installation down the road.

-

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Not knowing things isn't a sign of stupidity, and it isn't a weakness; it's an opportunity to learn something new. The Internet is a wonderful tool to utilize in self teaching when it comes to new skills or technical knowledge