• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalizing Drugs Might Be A Boon To Illegal Drug Dealing

suncowiam

There's a lot of anti drug here. I agree that extreme drug use can lead to harm but it isn't fair to single out drugs until we ban alcohol and tobacco.

These two substances have deep history in our societies and hence have been accepted and legalized. I can definitely point out the harm in these two substances if used abundantly.

And for some reason, there's a lot of pro-rope discussion also which I find amusing. =)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
rope%20selection%20help.JPG

Wirey

Fartist
There's a lot of anti drug here. I agree that extreme drug use can lead to harm but it isn't fair to single out drugs until we ban alcohol and tobacco.

These two substances have deep history in our societies and hence have been accepted and legalized. I can definitely point out the harm in these two substances if used abundantly.

And for some reason, there's a lot of pro-rope discussion also which I find amusing. =)

It's almost like drug use and rope discussions are intertwined. Intertwined with a lovely hemp rope.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What the article doesn't mention is for every $100 sold in the legal market, that is $100 kept out of the black market. The legal states need to work on creating legal grounds favorable for legal businesses to drive out illegal sales.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
WASHINGTON: Tax Day is source of unhappiness for marijuana industry | Economy | McClatchy DC

Legalization will lessen the stigma of recreational drug use, perhaps increasing demand.
But federal tax policy will give illegal dealers a great price advantage over legal businesses,
who must pay income tax on gross income (no business deductions allowed).
In regards to marijuana at least, people will just start to grow their own. Give it 2 plant cycles time in Washington, DC, and the price will go way down because of it. And, the money will not be going to the Mexican Cartels, as the product won't have to be imported from anywhere else.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
In regards to marijuana at least, people will just start to grow their own. Give it 2 plant cycles time in Washington, DC, and the price will go way down because of it. And, the money will not be going to the Mexican Cartels, as the product won't have to be imported from anywhere else.

The Mexican Cartels may then get into more heinous crimes such as politics.

MD

qualiaphile
It has just recently come to my knowledge that there is a massive epidemic of drug use in Punjab (a state in India), where some studies show that upto 70% of the youth are addicted to hard drugs. The smuggling has been massively facilitated by Pakistan.

I used to be pro legalization of all drugs, but now I have changed my mind. Drugs will destroy a society, no matter how much we try to legalize and control it. Especially hard drugs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is growing one's own legal? I'd be surprised if the feds would allow that because there's no tax revenue from it.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
just as a note: one of the biggest money makers for organized crime in the US is the selling of perfectly legal cigarettes.... well...they are legal in the state the got them in...not in the state the sell them in......

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Legalization will lessen the stigma of recreational drug use, perhaps increasing demand.
I seriously doubt this.
Eliminating the cache of rebellion against the nice people is going to reduce the demand. Wait until the kids start associating drug use with YouTube and fossil fuels and all that antique stuff their parents did.
Tom

dust1n

Zindīq
Weed should undoubtedly be Uruguayan-style legal everywhere. I've yet to find a worthwhile argument in which anyone should be hampered at all to any form of access they desire regarding pot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They're switching to opium
Losing marijuana business, Mexican cartels push heroin and meth - The Washington Post

The amount of cannabis seized by U.S. federal, state and local officers along the boundary with Mexico has fallen 37 percent since 2011, a period during which American marijuana consumers have increasingly turned to the more potent, higher-grade domestic varieties cultivated under legal and quasi-legal protections in more than two dozen U.S. states.

Made-in-the-USA marijuana is quickly displacing the cheap, seedy, hard-packed version harvested by the bushel in Mexico’s Sierra Madre mountains. That has prompted Mexican drug farmers to plant more opium poppies, and the sticky brown and black “tar” heroin they produce is channeled by traffickers into the U.S. communities hit hardest by prescription painkiller abuse, offering addicts a $10 alternative to $80-a-pill oxycodone.
Especially hard drugs.[/QUOte]
Most of the hard drugs have legitimate medical qualities. And they tend to do less damage than legal prescription drugs. Alcohol and tobacco do the most damage and kill the most, but even in moderation those too have health benefits. The key is in moderation.
I think all drugs need to be legalized and regulated. I'd rather people use the natural sources (marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, peyote, etc.) and forsake the synthetic, but it's better to have a stable meth lab that can safely harness the waste byproducts (that are highly toxic) rather than risking an entire apartment burning and the waste spreading. It's better to put money into legal markets than illegal markets that fund violent criminals. And it's much better to keep people out of jail over drugs. It's a lot cheaper, and in reality jail time does more damage than the drugs do.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Especially hard drugs.[/QUOte]
Most of the hard drugs have legitimate medical qualities. And they tend to do less damage than legal prescription drugs. Alcohol and tobacco do the most damage and kill the most, but even in moderation those too have health benefits. The key is in moderation.
I think all drugs need to be legalized and regulated. I'd rather people use the natural sources (marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, peyote, etc.) and forsake the synthetic, but it's better to have a stable meth lab that can safely harness the waste byproducts (that are highly toxic) rather than risking an entire apartment burning and the waste spreading. It's better to put money into legal markets than illegal markets that fund violent criminals. And it's much better to keep people out of jail over drugs. It's a lot cheaper, and in reality jail time does more damage than the drugs do.