• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legality of polygamy

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
In my opinion? They are selfish cowards.

Men tend to take lovers when they aren't getting something they want/need from their spouse.

So you think that a man caught up in an affair is a selfish coward?
By the way, do you realise that some women get caught up in affairs, some (men and women) can be opportunist cheats.

It's not just about men, it's about people. But polygamous marriages and partnerships exist, and as long as everybody is contented and happy I wouldn't want to knock such groups.

firedragon

Veteran Member
So you think that a man caught up in an affair is a selfish coward?
By the way, do you realise that some women get caught up in affairs, some (men and women) can be opportunist cheats.

It's not just about men, it's about people. But polygamous marriages and partnerships exist, and as long as everybody is contented and happy I wouldn't want to knock such groups.

Everybody is contended and happy. How about the wellness of society? Just consider it. I understand the happiness principle. How about kids? Illegitimate kids. etc etc. Survival of the fittest??

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Everybody is contended and happy. How about the wellness of society? Just consider it. I understand the happiness principle. How about kids? Illegitimate kids. etc etc. Survival of the fittest??

At the moment most countries are deeply immersed in to 'Survival of the Fittest' cultures.

A strong society wouldn't tag children as 'legitimate' or 'illegitimate'.... they are all children.

PruePhillip

You told us that Paypal was 'taking on' the banks!
You told us a load of waffle, as in post 148:-
PruePhillip said:
Ok, take Musk.
He wanted to go to Mars. He made money by taking on the financial institutions with a
system call Paypal.

............ and now you are forced to agree with us how PP 'works with the financial institutions'.....

So what?
Ability and the gifted are able to be rich, whereas inability struggles for crumbs under the table. If you think that this is ok then you clearly don't understand what true humanity is all about.

Let them all eat cake?

Talking to some bemused friend tonight. I watched the doco on the original Ponzy, of the Ponzy Scheme.
In 1920 he was so rich he had air conditioning in his house. Maybe not rich enough to have it in his car.
Don't know. I said, 'You have something better than he had, you have this split cycle system on your wall.
And your plain old Toyota is miles ahead of any vehicle he could buy.'
The French king of the revolution was caught because he had soft hands. We all have soft hands now.
That king, if he could come back today, would be amazed, not merely at our wealth, but the fact that it's
in the hands of common people. What an achievement. A medieavil king had a bag of feathers to sleep
on, suspended with rope, and for an inner toilet - a box hanging out a bedroom window, overlooking the
moat - not even a carpet on the cold floor.

Struggles for crumbs? Never met anyone like that. But I do know of a guy who's half in malnutrion, gaunt
and gangly - he spends his generous welfare on drugs and alcohol. His weflare check is the average wage
of a working professional in Russia.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Talking to some bemused friend tonight. I watched the doco on the original Ponzy, of the Ponzy Scheme.
In 1920 he was so rich he had air conditioning in his house. Maybe not rich enough to have it in his car.
Don't know. I said, 'You have something better than he had, you have this split cycle system on your wall.
And your plain old Toyota is miles ahead of any vehicle he could buy.'
The French king of the revolution was caught because he had soft hands. We all have soft hands now.
That king, if he could come back today, would be amazed, not merely at our wealth, but the fact that it's
in the hands of common people. What an achievement. A medieavil king had a bag of feathers to sleep
on, suspended with rope, and for an inner toilet - a box hanging out a bedroom window, overlooking the
moat - not even a carpet on the cold floor.
For me the greatest modern wealth is to be able to wander around places like the Alamo, or a shopping precinct in Tokyo, all virtually free to see it all from my little lounge. Amazing.

Struggles for crumbs? Never met anyone like that. But I do know of a guy who's half in malnutrion, gaunt
and gangly - he spends his generous welfare on drugs and alcohol. His weflare check is the average wage
of a working professional in Russia.
Thinking of reasons to withhold medical care for all, or fair policing for all, or enough food for all is a sad mindset

firedragon

Veteran Member
Please don't point that culture directly at me, but it does seem as if all countries are 'Survialist first and foremost'. Unless you can think of an exception ....?

Thats fair. All countries are. Loll. I didnt point anything at you OB.

I don't preach, FD. But I do support happy homes and all children. I don't pay much attention to 'legitimacy'.

See, I dont support anything. Who cares about legitimacy of children? What you personally care about is not addressed.

But the courts do. Also, the matter is not about legitimacy of children after they are born, but the consideration of future kids with no dad. After they are born, that's a whole different issue. Try not to twist things into some unwanted mischaracterisation.

Anyway, this is going somewhere unintended. Have a good day.

Fallen Prophet

So you think that a man caught up in an affair is a selfish coward?.
That's what I said.
Women are just as likely to be selfish cowards as men.

You asked me about men - not women - which is why my response was aimed at men.
It's not just about men, it's about people.
No one said otherwise. o_O
But polygamous marriages and partnerships exist, and as long as everybody is contented and happy I wouldn't want to knock such groups.
You never asked me about "marriages and partnerships" - you asked me about "lovers".

If polygamy is legal where the man is - he had every right to marry more than one woman.

What I said earlier about something being wrong with a man who wants more than one wife was obviously a joke - which is why I referred to marriage as "self-imposed punishment".

A man who marries two women has two wives - not a wife and a "lover".

I don't know why you feel the need to try and shame me about things we didn't talk about or try to put words into my mouth.

You're still upset about not knowing anything about the New Testament? :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's what I said.

Women are just as likely to be selfish cowards as men.

You asked me about men - not women - which is why my response was aimed at men.

No one said otherwise. o_O

You never asked me about "marriages and partnerships" - you asked me about "lovers".

If polygamy is legal where the man is - he had every right to marry more than one woman.

What I said earlier about something being wrong with a man who wants more than one wife was obviously a joke - which is why I referred to marriage as "self-imposed punishment".

A man who marries two women has two wives - not a wife and a "lover".

I don't know why you feel the need to try and shame me about things we didn't talk about or try to put words into my mouth.

You're still upset about not knowing anything about the New Testament? :p
:facepalm: