• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaVeyan Satanism and What Makes Satanism Authentic?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Ironic that ''Satan'' is traditionally an entity, yet so many Satanists are atheists, and the COS is atheistic.
^

Well I've never been a member personally, but all the writings say theism is only a concern at III° or above.

The CoS was formed by both atheists and esoteric individuals, so it wasn't really an atheistic religion.
^

Which is it? You stated that CoS wasn't really atheist, then you state that it is 'much different', from the theistic ToS
^

The CoS was made of both atheists and theists. When the materialistic side won out the CoS became dogmatically atheistic and the theists founded the ToS. What is so hard about this?

Your arbitrary lack of clarity in your statements. So, you basically agree with my first statement.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
^

^

^

Your arbitrary lack of clarity in your statements. So, you basically agree with my first statement.

Instead of quoting incessantly why not use your words and tell me what the confusion is? I reject your first statement cause statistically speaking more satanists are esoteric than atheistic, and because the ORIGINAL Church of Satan was home to many esotericists and theists.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Instead of quoting incessantly why not use your words and tell me what the confusion is? I reject your first statement cause statistically speaking more satanists are esoteric than atheistic, and because the ORIGINAL Church of Satan was home to many esotericists and theists.
The Cos became atheistic. Agreed? So, when you infer that the Cos/, LaVey, basically started modern Satanism, /brought it to popularity, then it infers that what was the catalyst for what we consider modern Satanism, is actually a atheistic Satanism.

If you intend to mean, that the early theistic/esoteric group, started modern Satanism, then the arguments should also follow, namely my contention that Crowley and his cohorts, is an apt person to say, brought much of the ideas to popularity, that many consider 'lhp'. /i don't like these labels,
Your argument thusly was that the occult /''Crowleyan'', wasn't lhp.
Once you start including 'esoteric' in the early Satanic equation, you have a lot of material that isn't merely ''lhp'', to your definition, it's much broader than that.

It makes me question your definitions, i certainly do not agree with your ideas on what ''lhp'', /or ''wlhp'' would include/not include, because it's largely arbitrary.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
The Cos became atheistic. Agreed? So, when you infer that the Cos/, LaVey, basically started modern Satanism, /brought it to popularity, then it infers that what was the catalyst for what we consider modern Satanism, is actually a atheistic Satanism.

If you intend to mean, that the early theistic/esoteric group, started modern Satanism, then the arguments should also follow, namely my contention that Crowley and his cohorts, is an apt person to say, brought much of the ideas to popularity, that many consider 'lhp'. /i don't like these labels,
Your argument thusly was that the occult /''Crowleyan'', wasn't lhp.
Once you start including 'esoteric' in the early Satanic equation, you have a lot of material that isn't merely ''lhp'', to your definition, it's much broader than that.

It makes me question your definitions, i certainly do not agree with your ideas on what ''lhp'', /or ''wlhp'' would include/not include, because it's largely arbitrary.

I have no idea what you are trying to say for the most part. Modern Satanism was formed by atheists and esotericists. There was never such an organized, large culture self identifying as Satanic or sharing the same mix of reasoning, ethics, ideology, etc before the formation of the Church of Satan. Now anyone can just go online and make a magical order, trust me, I did it! Hell, we have members here that helped create orders and other members have joined! The esoteric groups that preceded, from the Brotherhood of Luxor to Wicca, did not share the ideology spread throughout modern Satanism. It effectively did not exist in any meaningful form before the 60's. One of the biggest characteristics is the separation of the individual from culture, god, etc. Even super spooky Crowley had a goal of union with the All, and every one of those groups would have shunned modern satanism like, well, the devil. This is why the idea of a Western Left Hand Path is very important.