• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lack of belief

How is not believing in a god bad? If belief in a god is important, why is it important? Wouldn't a god obsessed with worship try harder to show us he exists? If a god fails to show its existance, punishment for disbelief simply doesn't make sense.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
How is not believing in a god bad?

It isn't.

If belief in a god is important, why is it important?

If only for the fact that people have been doing it for thousands of years. Anything we've been doing for thousands of years is important by default in my opinion.

Wouldn't a god obsessed with worship try harder to show us he exists?

How do you know how hard god is trying?

If a god fails to show its existance, punishment for disbelief simply doesn't make sense.

I'll agree with that!

Levite

Higher and Higher
How is not believing in a god bad? If belief in a god is important, why is it important? Wouldn't a god obsessed with worship try harder to show us he exists? If a god fails to show its existance, punishment for disbelief simply doesn't make sense.

At least from a Jewish perspective, lack of belief is unfortunate, in that is tends to cut off the nonbeliever from community and tradition. But it is not necessarily wicked. We believe God is far more concerned with behavior than belief. If a person doesn't believe in God, but gives generously to the poor, helps the helpless and vulnerable, and seeks to make society more just, we believe that this satisfies God more than wholeheartedly professing belief in God and His teachings, but then turning around and oppressing the poor, the helpless, and the vulnerable, making society less just.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be

Let me give you something to think about.. is not believing in love bad? I think, in general, the problem with not believing in "love" is then it would cause the person to miss out on certain experiences in life. So thus a person who doesnt believe in God, might also miss out on certain unique, quality experiences in life.

The main problem with skepticism or agnosticism, for me, is that if you posit that something is not real, or are unsure, then it increases the chances of you not taking seriously the moments or things in life that constitute evidence for such a thing -- and thus you might miss out on certain valuable things in life.

Let me give you something to think about.. is not believing in love bad? I think, in general, the problem with not believing in "love" is then it would cause the person to miss out on certain experiences in life. So thus a person who doesnt believe in God, might also miss out on certain unique, quality experiences in life.

The main problem with skepticism or agnosticism, for me, is that if you posit that something is not real, or are unsure, then it increases the chances of you not taking seriously the moments or things in life that constitute evidence for such a thing -- and thus you might miss out on certain valuable things in life.

Some people are happier without religion and superstition.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

So...picture yourself as God...yes you can.

Man was created as a form of physical life, and this life has one outstanding quality. It produces a unique spirit, each time the chemistry matures.

At first (Day Six) Man was little more than animal.
After Chapter Two, things got better.

The likelihood of a soul standing up from the dust in which it was formed,
became more likely.

Punishment verses worship?....nay.
Life is short. Not much time to instill a spiritual attitude.
Especially when most people can't see beyond the reach of their acquisition.

Prophets teaching hell fire and cold graves?....of course.
If no effort is made to turn your attention...'upward'...then you won't have that tendency to stand up, when your body fails.

Then of course, if you do stand up...and you're not really a 'spiritual person'
Heaven has to make a decision.
Heaven is a place of peace....not all are allowed in.

So I've heard anyway.

Man was created as a form of physical life, and this life has one outstanding quality. It produces a unique spirit, each time the chemistry matures.

became more likely.

If no effort is made to turn your attention...'upward'...then you won't have that tendency to stand up, when your body fails.

So I've heard anyway.

So your answer is: It's good to believe in the Abrahamic god so you can get into heaven?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Any will do. How about Zeus?

Sure. But that misses my point. Any particuler can be easily dismised based of the claims of the god and its powers and nature. But the god concept its self not so much

Sure. But that misses my point. Any particuler can be easily dismised based of the claims of the god and its powers and nature. But the god concept its self not so much

I think you missed my point. Would a god really care if we believed it existed? If a real god existed I'm sure it could make its presence known quite easily.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So your answer is: It's good to believe in the Abrahamic god so you can get into heaven?

It could be the same God....can't be sure.
He didn't really leave a name when He spoke to Moses.
I'm not sure if Abraham was told any different.

But life after death will likely have requirements.
Someone will be in charge.
If not, then we stand into chaos.
Chaos could be another form of hell.
Not likely there would be peace, without some kind of hierarchy.

With hierarchy, Someone will be in charge.
But not knowing the language, the territory, or the scheme of things....
It won't be me....or you...
Speculation toward the next life seems prudent to me.

Were you wanting to wait for that last hour in hope for a pleasant surprise?
Or are you here to speculate?

waitasec

Veteran Member

became more likely.

So I've heard anyway.

that says it all, yes it does.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I think you missed my point. Would a god really care if we believed it existed? If a real god existed I'm sure it could make its presence known quite easily.
Define god. Zeus and God are two very different models the greek gods were not perfect and were human to the extreme

Orias

Left Hand Path

I think this follows along the same lines of the man who drowned in the river, three different people stopped by to save this man and he denied all of their helping claiming that God will save him.

The morale of this story should be very simple, not believing in God isn't necessarily bad nor good as it is irrelevant. But as much as its irrelevant, its completely relevant to some foggy areas of life.

But I tend to think that God literally does show his existence on a day to day basis, but I wouldn't expect anyone to think that I am God trying to get others to believe in me. Just like I wouldn't expect everyone to accept that God is everything.

And on another note disbelief is different than a belief formulated around a desired lack of something ;)