• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Know-Nothing-Know-It-Alls

Are RF comments valid evidence of an individual's world view?

• Yes, people only express opinions/beliefs that they themselves hold on RF.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, taking on issues from different angles is a commendable exercise on RF.

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I've had an ongoing battle with another member of RF that claims to know more about my beliefs than I do merely from my comments on a single religious debate forum. To me, this is the most ridiculous claim I've ever heard. I pride myself on being able to look at things from different points of view, and often I am educated on this site by other members who enlighten me to various assumptions I might overlook. Often, I enjoy playing the "Devil's Advocate", simply because it forces me to look at things from different angles. Imho, avoiding this is detrimental to one's own intellectual development. Because of this, it seems ridiculous to even consider the possibility that you could know my personal beliefs merely from the comments I've made on this site.

What are your thoughts?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I've had an ongoing battle with another member of RF that claims to know more about my beliefs than I do merely from my comments on a single religious debate forum. To me, this is the most ridiculous claim I've ever heard. I pride myself on being able to look at things from different points of view, and often I am educated on this site by other members who enlighten me to various assumptions I might overlook. Often, I enjoy playing the "Devil's Advocate", simply because it forces me to look at things from different angles. Imho, avoiding this is detrimental to one's own intellectual development. Because of this, it seems ridiculous to even consider the possibility that you could know my personal beliefs merely from the comments I've made on this site.

What are your thoughts?
To expand a bit, I think that personal insults or general insults of say "all Muslims" or "all Atheists" are disgusting. An easy way to avoid this urge is to realize that, although members might express views that you find unethical or wrong, they might just be exploring the issue rather than expressing their own firm stance. Thus, personal insults would be unwarranted.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To expand a bit, I think that personal insults or general insults of say "all Muslims" or "all Atheists" are disgusting. An easy way to avoid this urge is to realize that, although members might express views that you find unethical or wrong, they might just be exploring the issue rather than expressing their own firm stance. Thus, personal insults would be unwarranted.
So saying something like "all Muslims are terrorists" would be, in your view, a general, unwarranted, and disgusting insult?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Would it reflect on the person making the statement or should we follow your advice that ...

You are changing your question. You merely said that the claim "all Muslims are terrorists" was made. If there was evidence provided to support this argument, that would be a different story. It all depends on the argument made. But, outlandish claims like this one, without any supporting evidence, are not what I am talking about. I am talking about taking stances that you might not necessarily hold in order to flesh out your opponents reasoning.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nope, you just didn't ask a relevant question.
Nonsense. Your poll offers:
i.e., thoughtlessly 'counterposing':
  • {X} is true.
  • {Y} is commendable.

Jumi

I think we are alike in this. I like to think and explore outside of the box. Sometimes it's an adventure, but sometimes you meet trolls under a bridge that demand a toll...

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Your poll is a bit bias, and I will not answer it by selecting a radio button but I will answer it here

No they are not

However that does not mean that they are taking on issues from different angles therefore it is not always a commendable exercise on RF.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Nonsense. Your poll offers:
i.e., thoughtlessly 'counterposing':
  • {X} is true.
  • {Y} is commendable.
Fair enough. For the second choice I should have said "No, taking on isssues from different angles is a common and commendable exercise on RF." I agree. It won't let me change them anymore though.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Nice try.

Again: would a person making such a general, disgusting, unwarranted, and extremely ignorant assertion be viewed as someone "just be exploring the issue rather than expressing their own firm stance."
Again: it would depend on whether they provided a reasoned argument to back up the statement. If they just make the claim without supporting it, they are merely "trolling". But, there is value in providing any argument, even if that value is based on showing why that argument is flawed.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

What are your thoughts?
I'd say anyone who thinks they have your woldview pigeon-holed, based on your comments on RF, is likely showing their own penchant for superficial thinking. To quote Jay's wonderful tagline... <yawn> ignore </yawn>

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Your poll is a bit bias, and I will not answer it by selecting a radio button but I will answer it here

No they are not

However that does not mean that they are taking on issues from different angles therefore it is not always a commendable exercise on RF.
Oh, I didn't mean always. I just meant that, if it does occur at all, it destroys any reliability for personal judgments based on comments alone.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Again: it would depend on whether they provided a reasoned argument to back up the statement. If they just make the claim without supporting it, they are merely "trolling". But, there is value in providing any argument, even if that value is based on showing why that argument is flawed.
Your.strawmaning what he said. Ok so all three of us agree that, "muslims are terrorist," is an idiotic.statement. did you learn sonething about the person making the claim though?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For the second choice I should have said "No, taking on isssues from different angles is a common and commendable exercise on RF."
OK. So, given the redacted poll, how are we to divine what most others are doing most of the time? Guess?

Would it not be preferable to just take people at their word and hold them accountable for their positions ...

... unless, of course, they make it clear that they are playing devil's advocate and exploring a position that they do not necessarily share?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure the Yes/No option goes along with the comment but I think "people only express opinions/beliefs that they themselves hold on RF". I don't think people step outside their own paradigm and parameters on any site or in any situation, for the most part.