• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just surfed in...now I'm registered :-)

L.Keane

Master Cosmonaut~EoB
Hello,

My name is Lloyd Keane. I have an interest in several areas of religion (I have a BA and MA in Religion with a focus in the psychology of religion) including the western esoteric tradition, vajrayana Buddhism, Thelema, Asatru, Neo-paganism, LHP, and Analytical Psychology (my PhD is in Psychoanalytic studies though I am not an analyst). From the few threads I read over it seems everyone plays nice and I hope to contribute in some meaningful way.

Thanks.

Lloyd.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Welcome Lloyd!

We are always happy to receive a member with genuine interest AND the academic background to explore the phenomena of religion!

the bar has free access, feel free to get a pint, kick back.. and uh we accept sacred relics as a tip.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi and welcome :)
BA and MA in religion? Nice going! I'm looking forward to reading your posts. :)

Can I ask you what makes you interested in these specific paths, and what made you decide to study religion?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Hello,

My name is Lloyd Keane. I have an interest in several areas of religion (I have a BA and MA in Religion with a focus in the psychology of religion) including the western esoteric tradition, vajrayana Buddhism, Thelema, Asatru, Neo-paganism, LHP, and Analytical Psychology (my PhD is in Psychoanalytic studies though I am not an analyst). From the few threads I read over it seems everyone plays nice and I hope to contribute in some meaningful way.

Thanks.

Lloyd.

welcome........:clap

L.Keane

Master Cosmonaut~EoB
Hi and welcome :)
BA and MA in religion? Nice going! I'm looking forward to reading your posts. :)

Can I ask you what makes you interested in these specific paths, and what made you decide to study religion?

Hello Odion,

I studied religion because I wanted to do an English and Philosophy undergrad degree but either failed or received a poor mark in both areas! I really wanted to study religion (got better marks in those courses) but figured the Eng./Phil. would be more employable. Ah the folly of youth! Religion is great because to study it at an academic level means you can approach it from so many different angles. It really reflects the best and the worst of human potential; what other discipline can offer that!? :)

The "those specific paths" might be a bit harder. My personal quest for knowledge and understanding and that of my academic interests tend to blur. My MA thesis (1999) was a comparison between the writings of Crowley (Liber ABA) and Jung (CW 14). I was interested in Crowley and his writing before I entered university. I was also studying modern witchcraft and neo-paganism then. When I got into university I was introduced to Jung. I was hooked on him from that point on (I'm also aware of the problems with his thought too though). Buddhism was one of the "secondary" areas I researched in school. When I study something I tend to want to participate so I did some form or another of sitting meditation for a few years. My PhD was a Jungian and Post-Jungian interpretation of the Western Esoteric Tree of Life. It was a way for me to purge some research I started in my undergrad days.

Today I'm interested in Asatru (really more general heathenism) on a personal level. The LHP has always been of interest to me (shadow confrontation and the like) specifically I'm interested in the teachings of the Temple of Set (I looked at some of the thread in that forum here and was quite impressed). Now that I have more "free time" I can pursue things on a more personal level. I find the more I study something academically the closer I come to killing it for me on a personal level! :areyoucra

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I find the more I study something academically the closer I come to killing it for me on a personal level! :areyoucra

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
I see some fairly astute observations so far, so I look forward to your input on RF. I am especially interested in your study of Jung and Crowley. That was likely some rather heady reading. It might prove to be a fascinating thread in its own right. *wink, wink*

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The "those specific paths" might be a bit harder. My personal quest for knowledge and understanding and that of my academic interests tend to blur. My MA thesis (1999) was a comparison between the writings of Crowley (Liber ABA) and Jung (CW 14). I was interested in Crowley and his writing before I entered university. I was also studying modern witchcraft and neo-paganism then. When I got into university I was introduced to Jung. I was hooked on him from that point on (I'm also aware of the problems with his thought too though). Buddhism was one of the "secondary" areas I researched in school. When I study something I tend to want to participate so I did some form or another of sitting meditation for a few years. My PhD was a Jungian and Post-Jungian interpretation of the Western Esoteric Tree of Life. It was a way for me to purge some research I started in my undergrad days.

I can relate to your personal academic pursuit. I always had a flavor for Crowley's writings, and found Jungian thought to be an 'easy listening' philosophy.

Circle_One

Welcome Lloyd!

We are always happy to receive a member with genuine interest AND the academic background to explore the phenomena of religion!

the bar has free access, feel free to get a pint, kick back.. and uh we accept sacred relics as a tip.

Speak for yourself! I accept only the still warm blood of virginal young females, under the age of 18.

Welcome to RF! :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

My name is Lloyd Keane. I have an interest in several areas of religion (I have a BA and MA in Religion with a focus in the psychology of religion)

Whoot! I'll be paying attention to your posts, my friend. A big Welcome to RF!
icon14.gif

LittlePinky82

Hello,

Thanks.

Lloyd.

Oh yes this is a fantastic forum and I love it here. I've had my share of issues on forums before and this one is great. I just adore everyone here and this is like one of my two online forum home's haha. I used to be a regular here but lost the site but found it again and am back so I hope to get to know you. Interesting with your background. A few term ago I took a world religion course and loved it! My professor was like a preacher or something for a Methodist church I think. I forget now but he had some robe thing he wore once. The colors were very beautiful though. I hope you enjoy your stay and get to know everyone. There's always discussions going on which is great about the place.

L.Keane

Master Cosmonaut~EoB
LOL, I was aiming for a positive reaction.
I bet Lloyd didnt expect such a warm welcoming committee on our part. :D
But I love improvising ;)

LOL...knock yourself out! Mmmm...virtual voyeurism :clap

Caladan, I'm curious, what do you mean by "Jungian thought to be an 'easy listening' philosophy" ? Specifically, I'm curious what aspect of Jungian thought you have in mind. I would just like to orient myself here.