• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[just for fun] Describe your religion from the point of view of another religion

vijeno

For example, explain your christian worldview from the point of view of hinduism, or your neopaganism as if you were a satanist, etc.

It's a bit of fun, but I also think there is a lot of actual insight to be gained here.

Of course, we'll get the perspectives of other religions wrong, often to an absurd degree. So by exposing our follies, we can learn something.

I'll put one such self-externalising view in the comments, I don't want to make the turn the whole thread into attacks on my wrongful views, lol.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As an atheist i have no religion, (note : no capital "a" in atheist).

So from the viewpoint of many a Christian (note the capital "C") someone being an atheist means they are an unholy (true) heathen (again true by definition) who does not believe in God (bronze age myth) and will burn in hell (been there, anything a bronze age myth can invent would be a joy).

Im pretty sure Christians would contradict my view of god and hell.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Many people who call themselves Michael Jackson fans would say I can't dance, but I do dance when no one is looking.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Many people who call themselves Michael Jackson fans would say I can't dance, but I do dance when no one is looking.

I get the same reaction with singing. And even my cats agree. But we used to have a dog (sadly gone) that would join in a chorus with me

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sycophant!
Boot-licker!
Half-way house!
Not-a-real-religion!
Invented-by-Rabbis!
Where-is-it-in-the Torah?

etc.

Liu

From the point of view of traditional religions, I'm a heretic that makes a joke out of religion.
From the point of view of post-modern religions and atheists, I'm a pipedreamer that takes the joke that is religion too seriously.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From the point of view of traditional religions, I'm a heretic that makes a joke out of religion.
From the point of view of post-modern religions and atheists, I'm a pipedreamer that takes the joke that is religion too seriously.
Actually we just think your whole whole thing is boring. Its like when people point to horseshoe crabs and say "This is a real dinosaur," and the kid is like "No. That's not what I am expecting when you said we are going to see a dinosaur. You have ruined dinosaurs for me!"

Liu

Actually we just think your whole whole thing is boring. Its like when people point to horseshoe crabs and say "This is a real dinosaur," and the kid is like "No. That's not what I am expecting when you said we are going to see a dinosaur. You have ruined dinosaurs for me!"
Well, then sorry to have ruined deities for you :p
But, some people might still be into horseshoe crabs and not find them boring at all - that's why we say that our religion isn't for everyone :D

Also, are you talking from the traditional or the post-modern perspective? (From your denomination, both would make sense).

Curious George

Veteran Member
Lol, if that is an original bit, you are a wonder.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Jeez, most people can't think rationally about their OWN religion, let alone think rationally enough about someone ELSE'S religion to describe their OWN religion from the point of view of THAT religion. I can't even really think of where I would begin to do this myself, and I can't imagine that this is going to end well, but I'm interested.

vijeno

Oh, almost forgot... here's mine:

From a liberal christian perspective, I got dragged away from the love of god by my tendency to think too much, and while I may have gathered some kind of worldly wisdom from the study of buddhism and other traditions, ultimately I reject the love offered to me because of my pride.

From a traditional buddhist perspective, I'm just a westerner with some watered-down, "spa dhamma" who still needs a few thousand incarnations to even gain stream entry.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Let me see if I can describe Buddhism like an evangelical would. What's interesting is they're not entirely wrong about traditional Buddhism. One of the following is quite correct:

"Buddha is dead and in his grave!" "Buddhists worship Buddha!" "Buddha is a false god!" "Buddha can't save you!" "Buddha needed to go on a diet!"

Now guess which of these evangelicals are actually correct about as traditional Buddhism goes :D

From an Abrahamic view of the concept: Buddhists do indeed worship the Buddha historically. There are traditional prayers asking the Buddha to do things for the Sangha. The Mantras are believed to open channels of merit in the person. The Buddha is even asked to accept the reciting of the gatha of repentance (Buddhist repentance) in several liturgy forms.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
That heretic is attempting to subvert the sanctity of religion by subscribing to the false religion of Pastafarianism. Thou shalt burn forever in the flames!
>Basically every branch of the Christian church.

Araceli Cianna

I'm NeoPagan so -

Christians might think it is devil worship
Same with Muslims and maybe Judaism
Hindus probably wouldn't be that bothered
Buddhists might think it's nice but where's my goal of enlightenment?
New Age would probably become NeoPagan with me for a while
Atheists might admire my environmentalism but not agree with my beliefs

I can't think of others. Maybe reconstructivist Pagans would think I am too eclectic which could be considered disrespectful to the spirits/gods.