• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John the Baptist and Gilgul

Sariel

Heretic
I was reviewing a bit of Matthew and had noticed the interesting detail about John the Baptist being a form of Elijah. I had been doing some reading on Kabbalah and l noticed that there are forms of reincarnation in Jewish mystical thought, specifically Gilgul and Ibbur. Is the gospel writer referencing Gilgul or Ibbur in regards to Elijah and John?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I was reviewing a bit of Matthew and had noticed the interesting detail about John the Baptist being a form of Elijah. I had been doing some reading on Kabbalah and l noticed that there are forms of reincarnation in Jewish mystical thought, specifically Gilgul and Ibbur. Is the gospel writer referencing Gilgul or Ibbur in regards to Elijah and John?

There are often references to this kind of thing in various circumstances, especially with Elijah. In that case, it would be a kind of Ibbur but not in it's classic meaning. (something a soul needs to finish, left undone)

A Gilgul Neshama is always a punishment, a failure that requires a soul to return to set things right. That for sure can't be in the case of Elijah.

To sum up, neither really applies for a special case like Elijah, but Ibbur is slightly more plausible. Hope that helps!

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
As I understand it, man has four faces.

The physical body is the outer garment; the soul is the inner garment; the angel/celestial body is that which is clothed; and the Spirit is the Unity of the entire organism.

The soul that sins dies in the refining fire of HaShem. John Baptist was not the soul known as Elijah; however, he was the immortal angel of Elijah returned as the soul called John Baptist.

b.

Last edited: