• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was pro-drinking

Kapalika

Premium Member
To the point of getting drunk.

Let's consider the Bible. When he did his first miracle, he turned water into wine and the guy at the wedding responded that he saved the best wine for last, when normally people were too drunk to tell that it tasted terrible. But now it tasted great.

Now, if Jesus was against getting drunk, why doesn;'t the Bible record him talking about it espeically at this wedding? Why didnt he stop the drunk people, who were drunk as we know from the passage at the wedding, from being drunk? he obviously just was okay with it and helped it, as the guy said everyone was already drunk.

jesus was totally okay with them staying drunk for longer as they ran out of it. water would of sobered them up. and ya water contamination ect but he could of done his magical powers to just make the water sterile and safe, but no he wanted to keep the party going.

I'd get the passages but anyone can look them up and damn the 4th beer just hit me hard lol

Kapalika

Premium Member
Ahh the "Cool" Jesus. My favourite interpretation.

you have a kali ma avatar at the posting of your post, so i just want to say brother/sister... om kreem kalikaye namah! namaste peace be to you.

But to topic, if anyone wants refute my point feel free but im going by KJV translation.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
you have a kali ma avatar at the posting of your post, so i just want to say brother/sister... om kreem kalikaye namah! namaste peace be to you.

But to topic, if anyone wants refute my point feel free but im going by KJV translation.

Jai Kali Ma! Peace to you as well brother/sister.:)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The gospel of John is made up, it contradicts Yeshua completely....Which is the only place with the stupid alcoholic wedding supper, water into wine. :confused:
Mat 10:42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.
Luk 12:45-46 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; (46) The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
Even the last supper should say, "i ask you not to drink of the vine until the coming of the kingdom", as it isn't kosher to drink a sin offerings blood. :eek:

There are also loads of verses condemning alcohol throughout the Bible, which is why, "wisdom is justified by her children", as prophets, 'kings and princes should not drink, least they distort the law'. ;)

Kapalika

Premium Member
The gospel of John is made up, it contradicts Yeshua completely....Which is the only place with the stupid alcoholic wedding supper, water into wine. :confused:

Even the last supper should say, "i ask you not to drink of the vine until the coming of the kingdom", as it isn't kosher to drink a sin offerings blood. :eek:

There are also loads of verses condemning alcohol throughout the Bible, which is why, "wisdom is justified by her children", as prophets, 'kings and princes should not drink, least they distort the law'. ;)

That does not jive with orthodox interpretation of Christianity. But if you take this route, why not question the very foundation of Christianity?

The church that I use to belong to believes that the wine was non-alcoholic, lol.

Hell, that';s a weird wine then lol

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Galatians 5:19-21....."Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are sexual immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, things which I am telling you in advance, just as I said before, that the ones who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." (Lexham)

Since the deeds of the flesh are listed here and the consequences of participating in any of theses means you don't inherit the kingdom, it seems pretty clear that drunkenness is right up there with sexual immorality and sorcery.

Jesus advocated moderation in all things...not excess.

ether-ore

Let's consider the Bible. When he did his first miracle, he turned water into wine and the guy at the wedding responded that he saved the best wine for last, when normally people were too drunk to tell that it tasted terrible. But now it tasted great.

Now, if Jesus was against getting drunk, why doesn;'t the Bible record him talking about it espeically at this wedding? Why didnt he stop the drunk people, who were drunk as we know from the passage at the wedding, from being drunk? he obviously just was okay with it and helped it, as the guy said everyone was already drunk.

jesus was totally okay with them staying drunk for longer as they ran out of it. water would of sobered them up. and ya water contamination ect but he could of done his magical powers to just make the water sterile and safe, but no he wanted to keep the party going.

I'd get the passages but anyone can look them up and damn the 4th beer just hit me hard lol

Personally, I think you are placing an inappropriate interpretation on those passages for the sake of wishful thinking. The relevant passage reads: "... Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now." The passage speaks in terms of relative comparisons. Any wine taster will tell you that there are comparatively some wines that are better than others... not that some are "terrible", as you put it. When the verse says "well drunk", it doesn't mean that the guests at the marriage were drunk (which would be seriously bad form and an insult to the marriage couple), it means that they had drank sufficiently that they may have had a buzz on and that their taste bud weren't as sensitive to taste. This is why wine tasters often spit out wine as they taste so that their taste buds don't get de-sensitized. It is a matter of small degrees, not extremes as you seem to think. The ruler of the feast himself was not so far gone that he couldn't tell the difference.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Galatians 5:19-21....."Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are sexual immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, things which I am telling you in advance, just as I said before, that the ones who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." (Lexham)

Since the deeds of the flesh are listed here and the consequences of participating in any of theses means you don't inherit the kingdom, it seems pretty clear that drunkenness is right up there with sexual immorality and sorcery.

Jesus advocated moderation in all things...not excess.

I don't care what any pathetic letters to the church suggested written by "mere men" so to speak, because the words and actions of Jesus should outweigh it, being god himself, right? Or do you Christians still just pick and choose and ignore the rest? Read the passage about the miracle and try to tell me honestly he was against getting drunk. Why turn water into wine? Why any of that? Why not chastise those for being drunk? he was all about calling out things, he did it many times, but not in that passage, explain why so and why he would further facilitate the party and the drunkedness if he was so against it.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Personally, I think you are placing an inappropriate interpretation on those passages for the sake of wishful thinking. The relevant passage reads: "... Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now." The passage speaks in terms of relative comparisons. Any wine taster will tell you that there are comparatively some wines that are better than others... not that some are "terrible", as you put it. When the verse says "well drunk", it doesn't mean that the guests at the marriage were drunk (which would be seriously bad form and an insult to the marriage couple), it means that they had drank sufficiently that they may have had a buzz on and that their taste bud weren't as sensitive to taste. This is why wine tasters often spit out wine as they taste so that their taste buds don't get de-sensitized. It is a matter of small degrees, not extremes as you seem to think. The ruler of the feast himself was not so far gone that he couldn't tell the difference.

So Jesus is okay with being buzzed?

Also again, why not just purify the water and lead others away from drunkedness if this is so that he is against being drunk?

I have no "wishful thinking" I am merely pointing out inconsistency between popular orthodox belief and the Bible. I care nothing for what the Bible says I can or cannot do since it's all wrong anyway. It isn't my religion but it bothers me how dishonest and inconsistent people are about their statements of belief when it comes to claims counter of their supposed holy word; its intellectually deceiving and misleading to take one stance easily refuted by their god's own actions/words as according to the text they uphold as absolute truth, if they are to assume those words to be infallible truth, that is.

Or we could admit very little if any of it's true, and just go on with our lives and forgo all the superstition attached to it.

ether-ore

So Jesus is okay with being buzzed?

Also again, why not just purify the water and lead others away from drunkedness if this is so that he is against being drunk?

I have no "wishful thinking" I am merely pointing out inconsistency between popular orthodox belief and the Bible. I care nothing for what the Bible says I can or cannot do since it's all wrong anyway. It isn't my religion but it bothers me how dishonest and inconsistent people are about their statements of belief when it comes to claims counter of their supposed holy word; its intellectually deceiving and misleading to take one stance easily refuted by their god's own actions/words as according to the text they uphold as absolute truth, if they are to assume those words to be infallible truth, that is.

Or we could admit very little if any of it's true, and just go on with our lives and forgo all the superstition attached to it.

I may have misspoke. I have no idea if Jesus is ok with being buzzed. I was thinking in terms of degrees of drinking and wine tasting and how that particular activity functions. I doubt that Jesus is ok with any degree of diminished capacity. I myself do not drink at all. As to why He didn't just purify the water, I don't know. All I know is what the record says. Water was not the customary beverage, particularly at feasts or festivals, and Jesus graciously provided what was appropriate for the occasion.

As for "Or we could admit very little if any of it's true, and just go on with our lives and forgo all the superstition attached to it."... knock yourself out. :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think the idea of a "Tea-total" lifestyle did not come in for centuries.
Even in the middle ages wine and small beer was the normal drink for everyone. water was to a large extent unsafe.

Jesus no doubt had mixed feelings when it came to intoxication. however it seems most day to day alcoholic beverages were much weaker than now.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I don't care what any pathetic letters to the church suggested written by "mere men" so to speak, because the words and actions of Jesus should outweigh it, being god himself, right?

In words of warning about things to come, Jesus said.....

Luke 21:34-36....“But take care for yourselves, lest your hearts are weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of daily life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. For it will come upon all who reside on the face of the whole earth. But be alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.” (Lexham)

Was he advocating drunkenness here?

Or do you Christians still just pick and choose and ignore the rest? Read the passage about the miracle and try to tell me honestly he was against getting drunk. Why turn water into wine? Why any of that? Why not chastise those for being drunk? he was all about calling out things, he did it many times, but not in that passage, explain why so and why he would further facilitate the party and the drunkedness if he was so against it.

No, I don't pick and choose because I am a Christian who cares about following all the commands of Christ rather than abandoning them in favor of pleasing myself as to what I believe.

I have read the account many times. It was at the very start of his ministry and he was an invited guest, not the host of the marriage feast. It was not his place to cast a pall of gloom and condemnation over a happy event. It was his mother who alerted him to the shortage of wine. It was a real embarrassment for the host if the event was not well catered for.

He had just chosen his apostles and had not yet really begun his ministry. Any tendency for overdrinking by the participants of the feast was before his activity as Messiah and before his teaching had commenced. He facilitated a miracle and his part in it was not advocating drunkenness. He was beginning to demonstrate God's power in ways that would make people take notice. You have no idea how many people were in attendance and how much was considered appropriate for the occasion. He obviously did. The Bible as a whole condemns drunkenness....period.

Prov 23:29-35; Hos 4:11; Isa 5:11; 1 Pet 4:3-5

BSM1

What? Me worry?

But he was definitely anti-drunk driving.

rusra02

Premium Member

I think you are making unwarranted assumptions about Jesus. For one thing, drunkenness is condemned in the Scriptures, for example at 1 Corinthians 6:9,10. Jesus was falsely accused of being "gluttonous and given to drinking wine" by religious enemies.(Matthew 11:19) He did drink wine in moderation and moderate drinking is acceptable to God. Drunkenness is not. Regarding the water Jesus turned into wine, this highlighted Jesus generosity, not his desire for the wedding guests to get drunk. There doubtless were a large number of guests at the wedding, and Jesus miracle assured the host that there would be sufficient wine for all.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Seriously? :rolleyes:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What we have is an atheist holding Jesus responsible for miracles he performed in the bible, surely something is wrong with this picture.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, the passage doesn't address the conditions of the guest at the wedding feast. It doesn't say, "Look at these guests. They're all drunk". What is stated is a rhetorical comment by the master of the banquete to the bridegroom as way of illustration that it's not normal for the good wine to be served last. It has nothing to do with the actual guests being drunk or not at that wedding, but merely pointing out this is very odd he should serve better wine later. It's a way to say this is what others do to make a good impression of the guest by serving the best first before they're too drunk to care anymore. Would the writer of John have Jesus attending a drunken wedding feast with the guests throwing up over in the corner? :) It's not hard to assume they weren't drunk, and these are simply the words of the master of the banquete to speak of what happened that the author of John has speaking to make a point that Jesus' wine was superior.

It is safe to say however that the wine served has the capability of getting people drunk. So those who say the Bible forbids drinking any alcoholic beverage whatsoever are stretching things a bit much. Getting smashed out of your mind, or living one's life as a drunk is what is frowned upon. He was not drinking grape juice at the last supper. :)