• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's Witnesses and baptism

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a person is baptized for Jesus Christ but then wants to become a Jehovah's Witness does he or she need to be baptized again?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nobody knows and the ones that know have me marked ignore. Oh well.

I understand baby baptism does not count as Christina baptism because it is the parents who choose it.

A story I read once is about a woman who was baptized as an adult but was baptized again as a JW.

Can a person be considered a JW if he or she comes in baptized and refuses to be baptized again?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jehovah says, "let us reason"* so....lets!

Jehovah's Witnesses won't say that a person is saved by becoming a Jehovah's Witness.

The Bible says baptism saves** and there is one baptism***.

I think JWs won't admit that their baptism alone counts, but that is what they teach. So if they say "a person need not be baptized a Jehovah's Witness to be saved" they contradict the word at 1 Peter 3:2 (and contradicting the governing body means apostate) and by their saying that a person must be baptized with them, that a person's baptism in another church does not count, they contradict Ephesians 4:5

* 18 “Come, now, and let us set matters straight between us,” says Jehovah.+“Though your sins are like scarlet,They will be made as white as snow;+Though they are as red as crimson cloth,They will become like wool.

** this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ 1 Peter 3:21

*** one Lord, one faith, one baptism Ephesians 4:5

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am able to conclude, by the way Jehovah's Witnesses handle baptism, that it is apostate thinking to disagree with the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses but it is not apostate thinking to disagree with The Bible.

InChrist

Free4ever
If a person is baptized for Jesus Christ but then wants to become a Jehovah's Witness does he or she need to be baptized again?
I don't know why anyone who has faith and is baptized in Christ and knows His eternal love and freedom would ever want to become a J.W. and live under such bondage.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
According to the Bible, Jesus never baptised anyone.

Well, that's sort of incorrect. You mean, the water baptism, of John. That is true, of course. In the Bible, these different baptisms are quite distinct, later, the church ''combined'' them, I suppose for convenience sake. Jesus does baptize, however, it isn't the baptism one gets in church, etc.

averageJOE

zombie
Yes. Because a person must make a lifetime vow to the Watchtower organization. Making one to Jesus and Jehovah is not enough. That's why they changed their questions in 1985.

Baptismal questions from the Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
According to the Bible, Jesus never baptised anyone.
With water baptism, no. But he did say that we would all be baptized with Holy Spirit. I know of at least one denomination that doesn't even do water baptism because of what Jesus said (Friend's Church, I think).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that for a person to be considered a Jehovah's Witness he or she must be baptized "in association with God's spirit-directed organization" which is The Watchtower organization. It might be hard for someone who is already baptized and who is aware of scripture which says there is just one baptism to do it.

JFish123

The Watchtowers preaches a FALSE GOSPEL by saying that people need to be in there organization to be saved ADDING to the gospel. It's sickening.