• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J'adore!

SkylarHunter

I don't know how it works in different parts of the world but here in France until last week, by the end of the day supermarkets threw the food they hadn't been able to sell during the day in the bins and soaked it with bleach. That was done on purpose to avoid people picking up the things that were still good.
When I found out I was as disgusted as anyone with a heart would be. There are many people in France who can't afford to eat properly but the owners of the supermarkets, whether by greed or stupidity, preferred to let the food go to waste then give it to those who need it.
Thanks to the efforts of a few good people, last week a new law was passed forbidding the supermarkets to destroy the food with bleach. They can give it to institutions of their choice, to farms to feed the animals or they can leave it in the bins but they're not allowed to destroy it.
I think this is a great step against food waste and I'm sure it will help people who are not in a position to buy all the food they need.
Good to see there are still good news once in a while.

Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global | World news | The Guardian

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is a movie coming about people living for a time only on food destined for the dump.

MD

qualiaphile
My first job was at a pizza store when I was 16. It was a multinational food chain store at an amusement park.

Every hour the perfectly delicious pizza was thrown away and new ones were put up. The employees couldn't eat it, and they threw it away. Sometimes a more sensible manager would let the employees eat the pizza before throwing it away, but that still wouldn't make up for all the food lost. I was disgusted.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the US there's a whole subculture of people living and raising families on perfectly good food from dumpsters/skips: Freeganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are also public service agencies serving the poor with liberated food: Food Not Bombs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You don't usually see these groups' nocturnal foraging, and by day they seem like ordinary consumers, but they're there.
In Germany, there are people who check the dumpsters before noon.
You know where I'm going with this?
They're called "Morgen Freeganists".