• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your pastor deceiving you, or is he just ignorant?

atpollard

Unless the punishment is that bloody because God needed to make the point that SIN is no little thing in God's economy.
God doesn't delight in the death of sinners, but he needs everyone else to understand that Yes, Sin really is THAT bad.

In which case we are in a whole lot of trouble and could REALLY use a savior.

As opposed to the alternative message that sin is not that bad, and a loving God would never actually kick someone out of heaven for a little sin in their lives, would he?

In which case, it doesn't really matter what we believe, because God will just let all sin slide. (savior optional)

David1967

Premium Member
[QneverTE="atpollard, post: 4550623, member: 56780"]Unless the punishment is that bloody because God needed to make the point that SIN is no little thing in God's economy.
God doesn't delight in the death of sinners, but he needs everyone else to understand that Yes, Sin really is THAT bad.

In which case we are in a whole lot of trouble and could REALLY use a savior.

As opposed to the alternative message that sin is not that bad, and a loving God would never actually kick someone out of heaven for a little sin in their lives, would he?

In which case, it doesn't really matter what we believe, because God will just let all sin slide. (savior optional)[/QUOTE]
I never said that. I hope that I am not coming across that way. Just to get a better idea of where your coming from..Are you an independent Baptist , missionary baptist or southern baptist? Or none of these? Respectfully

Browner

Not surprisingly, out of all the verses you quote, only one is the words of Jesus,
typical of Christians today, Jesus is relegated to second fiddle to Paul and the apostles.
Actually, believers complain that Jesus was speaking generally to all people,
and NOT speaking directly to the churches!
So, basically everyone finds his own grounds for complaining about what disturbs him/her!

You've never heard of "The hard sayings of Jesus"?
Paul is mucho more tactful in his epistles than Jesus is in the gospels!
But, when Jesus is speaking to believers (as to the 7 churches in Rev 2-3), He is tactful as well.
Jesus taught this (gentle approach to the churches) to Paul during the 17 years
that Paul spent in the desert regions before he really began his ministry.

Last edited:

atpollard

Just to get a better idea of where your coming from..Are you an independent Baptist , missionary baptist or southern baptist? Or none of these? Respectfully
Raised atheist.
First learned about Jesus in a Catholic Charasmatic Fellowship.
Read the Bible on my own for a while. (Some I understood, a lot I didn't.)
Small Group study with an African Missionary to the United States while attending Church of God of Anderson Indiana.
Evangelical Free Church adult Sunday School class taught by a graduate of the Moody Bible Institute.
Souther Baptist church for a while.
Currently, I attend a non-denominational Pentacostal Church led by a Moravian pastor.

I still prefer to read scripture for myself and tend to go for a second opinion on verses or chapters to:
Charles Spurgeon
Matthew Henry
David Guzik

One of those on-line quizzes said my beliefs are a 100% match to "Reformed Baptist".
Perhaps I will find one of those churches some day, until then ... I serve where I am planted.

David1967

Premium Member
Raised atheist.
First learned about Jesus in a Catholic Charasmatic Fellowship.
Read the Bible on my own for a while. (Some I understood, a lot I didn't.)
Small Group study with an African Missionary to the United States while attending Church of God of Anderson Indiana.
Evangelical Free Church adult Sunday School class taught by a graduate of the Moody Bible Institute.
Souther Baptist church for a while.
Currently, I attend a non-denominational Pentacostal Church led by a Moravian pastor.

I still prefer to read scripture for myself and tend to go for a second opinion on verses or chapters to:
Charles Spurgeon
Matthew Henry
David Guzik

One of those on-line quizzes said my beliefs are a 100% match to "Reformed Baptist".
Perhaps I will find one of those churches some day, until then ... I serve where I am planted.
Thank you for answering my question. Have a good evening.