• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there really no such thing as a stupid question?

Is there really no such thing as a stupid question

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No, except on Religious Forums

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Cambridge dictionary defines "stupid" as silly or unwise; showing poor judgment or little intelligence.

Can a question itself have such characteristics?

I like the adage: "There is no such thing as a stupid question; there are only stupid people."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cambridge dictionary defines "stupid" as silly or unwise; showing poor judgment or little intelligence.

Can a question itself have such characteristics?

I like the adage: "There is no such thing as a stupid question; there are only stupid people."
Yeah, asking how many pieces of chicken come in the four pack definitely qualifies as poor judgement and momentarily lapse in cognitive processing.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, asking how many pieces of chicken come in the four pack definitely qualifies as poor judgement and momentarily lapse in cognitive processing.
Maybe, but I'm still on the edge of my chair. How many?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We've all heard it said: "there's no such thing as a stupid question. Is there?

There may be such things as stupid questions, but it's even more stupid if someone honestly doesn't know something yet doesn't ask. The idea that "there's no such thing as a stupid question" is just a way of making people feel comfortable asking questions without fear that people will laugh at them for asking a stupid question.

If nothing else, it's merely a plea for smarter people to have more patience with the dull-witted.

exchemist

Veteran Member
We've all heard it said: "there's no such thing as a stupid question. Is there?
Yes of course there is. It's a fairly idiotic saying, at least when applied indiscriminately without regard to context.

It can be valid to say in particular circumstances, say when teaching, when you want to stimulate questions from people learning about something for the first time.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Are you me?"

"Do rose petals fall from the ground and become rhinoceroses?"

"Is @John53 Avril Lavigne?"

Those are some examples of those questions.

They may be considered silly questions, mainly as a joke. Like "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I voted no to: "is there really no stupid questions", which was intended to mean, "Yes there are stupid questions."

Asking the same question over and over hoping for a different answer, or simply because the answer given was ignored, is a stupid question.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
This the joke section? I vote all questions on RF are stupid questions. Including the one I just asked.

VoidCat

I voted no to: "is there really no stupid questions", which was intended to mean, "Yes there are stupid questions."

Asking the same question over and over hoping for a different answer, or simply because the answer given was ignored, is a stupid question.
As someone who works in tech im sure youve heard a lot of stupid questions....

Why won't my computer turn on?-some person probably in a house without any power...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
As someone who works in tech im sure youve heard a lot of stupid questions....

Why won't my computer turn on?-some lady probably in a house without any power...

It's been almost 30 years since I worked on a helpdesk. I don't recall, honestly, stupid questions. People did stupid stuff. Heck, I did some stupid stuff.

VoidCat

I asked a stupid question today about jewish zombies... Made a thread about it. But it seems to have a lot of depth to it I got some good answers...

So sometimes stupid questions can lead to good conversation

VoidCat

It's been almost 30 years since I worked on a helpdesk. I don't recall, honestly, stupid questions. People did stupid stuff. Heck, I did some stupid stuff.
And there I go making assumptions and asking a stupid question lol

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
And there I go making assumptions and asking a stupid question lol

Nah, not stupid. I'm guessing there are a lot of stupid questions out there that get asked on helpdesk calls. I just don't remember any.